Translate

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Remembrances Of Funk, R&B, Pop Icon Prince ("Purple Rain" & SuperBowl Half Time 2007)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post provides biographical information about Funk, R&B, Pop composer, guitarist, singer, and actor Prince Rogers Nelson. This post also showcases two Prince performances that are found on YouTube and includes selected remembrance comments from those featured YouTube videos.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Prince for his musical legacy. Rest in Peace (RIP). Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)
"Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016) was an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, and actor. Prince was renowned as an innovator and was widely known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, and wide vocal range. He was widely regarded as the pioneer of Minneapolis sound. His music integrates a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, soul, hip hop, disco, psychedelia, jazz, and pop.

Prince was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and developed an interest in music at an early age, writing his first song at age seven. After recording songs with his cousin's band 94 East, 19-year-old Prince recorded several unsuccessful demo tapes before releasing his debut album For You in 1978, under the guidance of manager Owen Husney. His 1979 album Prince went platinum due to the success of the singles "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover". His next three records—Dirty Mind (1980), Controversy (1981), and 1999 (1982)—continued his success, showcasing Prince's trademark of prominently sexual lyrics and incorporation of elements of funk, dance, and rock music. In 1984, he began referring to his backup band as The Revolution and released Purple Rain, which served as the soundtrack to his film debut of the same name. A prolific songwriter, Prince in the 1980s wrote songs for and produced work by many other acts, often under pseudonyms."...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #1 - Purple Rain Prince AVI



Casusa Ribeiro Uploaded on Nov 5, 2010
-snip-
Some commenters noted that this was one of the few Prince performance videos that that artist allowed to remain on YouTube.
-snip-
Here are selected remembrance comments from this video's discussion thread. With the exception of the last two comments, all of these comments were posted on April 21, 2016, after the news of Prince's death was publicized.

These comments are given in no particular order. I've numbered these comments for referencing purposes only.

1. Brett Clouse
"In M.P.L.S. a raining sad day in M.N.the LEGOND PRINCE has past away. The first time I got to here his first song was when he was with 94 East the song was Just Another Sucker & I became a fan. MY 1st record I bought was the For You lp.. I was blessed to see two of his best concerts which were at the Met Center. The first concert was Prince, The Time & Sue Ann Carwell the 2nd was Prince, The Time & Vanity 6 in the 80's. After the Purple Rain movie My weekend hang out was1st Ave. & then it was Glam Slam Where I met my good friend Princes #1 DJ DOUG D. & was blessed to do some work at Glam Slam from doing video work & some D.jing in the booth, on stage & up stairs in the Ascot room. Glam Slam was the best Club in my mind in M.P.L.S. cause this is what Doug D. had told me was back then was Prince didn't care what we played as long as we played his music in are mixes & Doug D & I pushed the envelope at the club. Prince club was always packed on the weekends from the day it was open till it closed people around the world would come & even famous people came to the club. A lot of nights on the weekends the fire code was broken in attendances. Plus great concerts were held from George Clinton to Bootsy & others & even Prince. Never was blessed to check out Princes Studio even tho I tried. I still today have a good amount of Princes records & 12" singles. & some good memories of his music from Roller skating , concerts, dancing, watching him on tv from Soul Train to American Band & DJING. These are some of my memories living in Mn. My only tribute to this Mn. Genius Was to write this while playing my archive of his music that I burned from my vinyl collections in to my iTunes. It was a tough writing. A SAD wet day in M.P.L.S MN, HISTORY R.I.P to the Genius PRINCE. You'll be missed But not forgotten R.I.P."
-snip-
M.P.L.S. = Minneapolis

**
2. Mike Hunt
"Not only was Prince extremely talented, he inspired so many people as well. I saw the movie Purple Rain at least a dozen times at the theater as a teen and always admired him. R.I.P. Prince, the world lost another great one today."

**
3. HitWorldRecs
"RIP TO THE LEGEND!!! THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO MUSIC AND MY LIFE!!! YOU WERE A HUGE INSPIRATION TO ME AS A YOUNG MUSIC PRODUCER. A LEGENDARY MUSIC GENIUS THAT TAUGHT US TO LEAD NOT FOLLOW. LONG LIVE YOUR MUSIC SIR :("

**
4. jonmel99
"Eric Clapton was asked what makes a great guitarist his answer "Ask Prince" #RipPrince"

**
5. Phil Jordan
"RIP. I'm old as dirt and have seen many shows. Saw Prince in the 80s and he completely blew me away. Big loss."

**
Reply
6. hanselxy
"who was more sensational...Prince or MJ ?"
-snip-
MJ = Michael Jackson

**
7. Reply
Phil Jordan
"+hanselxy Never got to see MJ but I'm sure it would have been amazing obviously. They were both..I don't even have the words..amazing musicians."

**
8. Patricia Eleby
"I remember when I first went to go see Purple Rain in the movies, I wore my purple dress and watched the movie 8 times straight. I will miss him and his music so much."

**
9. Marina S3
"♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸ R.I.P. Prince ¸¸♫·¯·♪¸¸♩·¯·♬¸¸ A great artist ! I was on one of his concerts in Munich in 1992 ! A gigantic concert ! I am very sad ! Is a shock!

**
10. ecupaige
"I played the HELL out of this song back in the day. Damn, can't believe we have lost him. I know he up there DANCING IN THE PURPLE RAIN!"

**
11. Gaz Hyde
"what a true legend this guy made me go out buy a guitar 2 month ago just so I can play purple rain what pure legend RIP YOU LEGEND"

**
12. Marcia Starnes
"RIP Prince, to me and many more that was the music in that time. My brother bought me the Purple Rain album & a poster fot Christmas, I wanted it so bad. Your music will live on forever.."

**
13. Alison Diaz1 week ago
I was on vacation and I heard this song playing in the hallway of the hotel...And I opened all the doors, so that everyone hears this amazing piece of work. Great job, Prince :) :****

**
14. Tweet Mia Tweet
"I grew up listening to his music and watching his movies. Lord have mercy this is just a nightmare it can't be real. Praying for his family may God give them the strength that they need right now....S.I.P. PRINCE"

**
15. Sherri Langlois
"As much success as Prince has had in my mind he's still highly underrated. He has incredible vocal control and range and his guitar skills are ridiculously good. This song is as good as it gets for me. I was lucky to have seen the opening night of this tour in Detroit. It was crazy good and it's a night I'll always remember as being one of the best live shows I've ever seen."

**
16. xArwenx
"Prince, I can't believe you have left us, I was honoured to of seen you live at Hop farm in 2011. You were full of energy and life and it was the most amazing experience to see you perform at your best. It's so sad to of lost such a talented man. I love you, RIP xxx"

**
17. Julia Turing
"I grew up listening to prince from an LA radio station that would fade in and out 1580 KDKP. His music helped inspire me and up lifted my spirit during my darkest times growing up in a miserable, overcrowded foster home where I often felt lost. Foster kids who were my sisters and brothers would suddenly run away and be gone. Now, so suddenly this incredible musical genius is gone. I will miss you deeply Prince, but I know you are in heaven with God.....playing a guitar solo jamming out a tune for Jesus! God bless you always."

**
18. Erika Mauersberger
"Dancing at my prom, in the dress i had always dreamed of, to a guy that forever lives in my heart. Oh, so many memories with this man playing in the background. RIP"

**
19. Marush “Luci” Denchev [February 2016]
"Every time ... and I mean EVERY TIME this song comes out on the radio and I am in my car I just put the volume high up, pull windows down and let the entire city hear that amazing song. The solo is out of this world!!!"

**
20. Sherri Langlois March 2016]
"As much success as Prince has had in my mind he's still highly underrated. He has incredible vocal control and range and his guitar skills are ridiculously good. This song is as good as it gets for me. I was lucky to have seen the opening night of this tour in Detroit. It was crazy good and it's a night I'll always remember as being one of the best live shows I've ever seen."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2 - Prince Performs “Purple Rain” During Downpour | Super Bowl XLI Halftime Show | NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

Embedding disabled by request

NFL, Published on Feb 12, 2016

A tribute to a legend that has passed too soon, take a look back at Prince's iconic Super Bowl XLI Halftime Show through a rain and wind storm.

-snip-
This video was published in February 2016. The description was changed after Prince's death.
-snip-
Here are selected remembrance comments from this video's discussion thread. All of these comments were posted on April 21, 2016, after the news of Prince's death was publicized.

These comments are given in no particular order. I've numbered these comments for referencing purposes only.

1. rcksnhrdplcso
"I don't expect a lot of people to understand what Prince was to my generation. He was a world class talent and performer who broke barriers that many could never have crossed. He was an idol and an inspiration to many and while he was definitely an eccentric and private artist, that never detracted from his performances or his image as a true professional. The world has lost much today. Rest in peace brother. You were a truly unique and priceless diamond that shined on part of our lives."

**
2. etherealmist76
"I am so sad I grew up loving his music, when i was in my adolescence Purple Rain was the first forbidden movie I wanted to see so bad, and I remember watching it and falling in love with his music his style, he is an icon and will live in my heart forever...."

**
3. Johann Kinting
"NOV 1984 - Joe Lewis Arena - Prince & the Revolution: Purple Rain Tour - Guest: Siela E.
SO fortunate to have had the experience. RIP +"

**
4. Heidi Solberg Viar
"Prince, the rain, the FAMU band, and the "WOO HOO" from the crowd...legendary."

**
5. Turdsley
I said it when it happened and I'll say it again today, this is hands down the best half-time performance of all-time.

**
6. Gregory Fabre
"What year was that half-time show performed?"

**
Reply
7. DVMN5
"2007:

**
8. JoAnn Mosby
"Featured in SB50 for one of the Best Super Bowl performances in history. Two months later you're gone. I'm finding it hard to wrap my heart and mind around this right now. Rest in the Purple Rain, Prince. All the Doves are Crying now. All Love and Prayers go out to your family, friends, and countless fans. Everlasting Peace.

Rest in Paradise Prince."

**
9. Artistically Motivated
"Does anyone even remember the game that night? No, didn't think so."

**
Reply
10. Jodine Ibeme
"No just Prince"

**
11. Jeff L5
"I have to imagine that half that equipment got ruined!! But what a performance!"

**
12. Matthew Nielson
"It was this performance that made me want to listen to Prince and dive into his discography. Thank you for an amazing career Prince."

**
13. wanda mateo
"I'm so crying right now remembering the first time I saw this beautiful man in the movie Purple Rain, I had never seen anything like his performance in my young life, and at the end when he did the solo guitar, I was like in a trance, I hadn't seen anything like that since Hendrix. I was all of sixteen and in Love with beautiful soul. He will be greatly missed. Another star has fallen from the sky. For those who got to see him in concert. you are greatly blessed and fortunate. I never did. Maybe one day in heaven."

**
14. yodawg
"Classic that Prince played the Superbowl for my team's Super Bowl .. The Chi-Town Bears. RIP Prince. I remember you rockin' the Charlotte Coliseum back in 1988."

**
15. Gold
"I feel horrible. I love Prince. He was a musician's musician as well as a big star. I have so much respect for him as a musician. He greatly influenced me as a musician. He will forever be missed. Rest in Peace Prince.. we love you.."

**
16. Tommy2shoe811
"Prince is the most underrated guitarist of all time. Dude was just incredible. This was one of the best two or three halftime shows I can remember."

**
17. Juan Palo
"I feel like a close family member died today. He was part of my 80s growing up. I have so many fond memories of listening to his great songs and music. I really enjoyed watching the movie "Purple Rain" at the cinema with my beautiful girlfriend. Thanks Prince!"

**
18. Ted MacDonald
"This is a legendary performance by an artist whose impact on music well be heard for generations . Everyone has a Prince memory or moment in their life associate with a Prince song ."

**
19. Mark Snyder
"Always enjoyed the freedom that Prince symbolized in his music. You never know which direction he would go in---whether changing his name to a symbol, or going from "Purple Rain" to "When Doves Fly." Prince was a musical genius. May He Rest In Peace. I'm sure Rock and Roll Heaven gave him a proper welcome."

**
20. Klaus Schreyer1 hour ago
Remember seeing his Movie 1984 I was 21 and threw 80s&<90s dancing to his music at the Clubs. I watched this half time Show he did Live and Prince and his Mates did a Stellar Performance Especially Purple Rain it was Raining pretty good and Prince just went on and put on one his Performances I said to myself WOW How Perfect Playing Purple Rain in the Rain Live at the Bowl he didn't miss a note with a wet Guitar and No Lip Syncing and that my Friends is something you don't see with other Artists. I always liked his Persona"

**
21. Kevin Jones
"1984 St. Paul Civic Center. He played four sold out shows and added a matinee show on Christmas Eve and I was there. Its with profound sadness why we relive his greatness."

**
22. chris j
"what the hell is going on in 2016 i have brought this guys music since i was 9 i learnt to play the guitar because of him,im gutted....really"

**
23.meacomefeyou
"My Purple One Jehovah God rest your soul in peace. You are a TRUE LEGEND an influence an indelible imprint in my heart forever. You are magnificent!

I just wore your shirt Tuesday( not even 2 days ago ) I was so proud to have you as a part of my life. You are brave, funny, sweet , caring, cool (I am straight) sexy sliding moves you did on the floor and the way you reached out of the bath tub in your music video, creative true artist.

Front Row 2nd Show May 2015 Sony Center For Performing Arts. I still have your symbol pick and still cant believe I was front row in the pit singing along with you until you ,,,paused and it was so funny, I didn't know the words to that one section of your song and froze when you put the mike to me as you smiled just centimeters away.
I laugh at memory's of that freeze up

Love you Prince since age 7 waiting in the Purple Rain not in vain, till now & forever!"

**
24. Margie Cornwall
"Gone so soon! Bought your very 1st album in the 70's and I became your fan right away! Your talent is unrepeatable and your artistry and uniqueness is un-replaceable!!!! Back in the days (1984) with friends n families watched "Purple Rain" movie like over n over again - we could nit get enough if it! My son at age 2yrs in 1986 - he loved singing your music "purple rain" songs , he was your youngest BIG FAN, my son would grab his ukulele, his dad would put on the laser disc movie "Purple Rain" n this 2 Yrs old boy would just do "Prince" ... Awesome-talented music artist is gone!!!RIP Prince!!!"

**
25. GloryOneReso™ | NBA 2K16 My Park Tips, Tricks & Tutorials
"Him and MJ dominated the 80s... Sad they both passed away smh. Atleast we still have their music I guess, but woe what a legend Prince was and still is!! RIP brotha you will be missed!"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Here's information about Prince's parents and how he got his name From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)#Early_life
    Prince Rogers Nelson was born in Minneapolis, the son of Mattie Della (Shaw) and John Lewis Nelson. His parents were both African American,[8] and his family ancestry is centered in Louisiana, with all four of his grandparents hailing from that state.[9][10] Prince's father was a pianist and songwriter and his mother was a jazz singer. Prince was named after his father, whose stage name was Prince Rogers, and who performed with a jazz group called the Prince Rogers Trio. In a 1991 interview with A Current Affair, Prince's father said, "I named my son Prince because I wanted him to do everything I wanted to do".[11] Prince's childhood nickname was Skipper.[12][13]"

    ReplyDelete