Translate

Monday, March 16, 2015

Chants And Songs From Historically Black Fraternities & Sororities (C - F)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is the second page of a seven page alphabetical collection of chants and songs from historically Black Greek letter organizations (BGLOs).

This page includes examples beginning with C - F.
Click
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black.html for Numbers to B

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black_17.html for G-J

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black_14.html for K-N

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black_53.html for O-R

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black_75.html for S-V

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black_65.html for W-Z

****
The majority of these chants are from the nine university based, historically Black Greek fraternities and sororities that are informally referred to as "the Divine Nine". Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Pan-Hellenic_Council for information about the fraternities and sororities which are referred to by this term.

Examples in this compilation that are given without attribution are from visitors to my now retired cultural website cocojams.com.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric and cultural purposes.

Thanks to all those organizations whose chants and songs are featured in this collection. Also, thanks to all those who directly contributed examples of these chants & songs to my now retired website.

****
DISCLAIMER: This series is not meant to be a complete list of Black Greek letter organization chants and songs.

****
More information about these examples and additional selected examples of historically Black Greek organization chants, songs, and culture can be found in other pancocojams posts which can be assessed by clicking the tags found below.

****
Note: Greek letter organization chants should only be recited or performed by persons who are affiliated with the specific organization from which the chant comes.

****
EXAMPLES (C - F)
Examples with the same title or first line are given in relative chronological order based on their posting date, their retrieval online or collection date by me, or the date that I recall learning or hearing the examples.

CALLING ALL SORORS [an Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. version]
A K A
Calling all sorors to the floor.
We got some here but we need some more.
[The group repeats the entire song while members come to the floor to form a circle]
-snip-
This song is sung in the following video:

Alpha Kappa Alpha Delta Eta Probate Fall 2007 (Part 1)



Douglas On TV, Uploaded on Oct 7, 2011

The probate show for the Fall 2007 initiates of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, Delta Eta Chapter.

****
CALLING ALL SORORS [a Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. version]
Calling all Deltas to the floor
Oh-oo Delta
We got some here but we need some more
Oh-oo Delta.
[repeat song]
-Rachel Crouch, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHG_qHQMt_c, Published on Jan 13, 2013

Here's that video:

Calling All Sorors! DST singing at the stroke of Midnight!



Rachel Crouch, Published on Jan 13, 2013

****
CAN'T NOBODY
Can’t nobody
love us better
than Omega
Psi Phi N.C.

(repeat as many times as you like)
-Anonymous, posted on 11/10/2012
-snip-
This song was performed by Q Pearls (Edinboro University, Pa 1991 while stepping. It's a takeoff of a Chaka Khan R&B song “Aint Nobody”.

In the line "Psi Phi.NC" the letter “i” serves double duty as the spelling for the Greek letter Phi and the first letter for "inc" (incorporated).

****
CENTAUR WALK SONG
(First part sung by 1st Brother on line. Number 1′s Song)

I know a place
Where the Centaurs Roam
And I know a place
Where the Centaurs call Home
And In that Place
The Streets are paved
In Brown and Gold
In Brown and Gold
And so I say
Release the Centaur
From Your Soul
From
Your
Soul….
(Sung by all brothers in unison)
I-O-T-A
P-H-I
T-H-E-T-A!!!
I Say
My Frat Brother
He Say
OLE! OLE!
I Say
My Brown and Gold Brothers
What in the H#$@
Do you want?
I Say
We’re Going to do…
What are We Going to Do?
I Say
that Centaur Walk for You
He Say
that Centaur Walk for You
It Goes
the Bow, the Bow
Nah, It Goes
the Shield, the Shield
God D#$* It,
it’s the Bow, the Bow
Nah, it’s
the Shield, the Shield

Break It Down (Centaur Laugh: Bruhahahaha!)

That Bow,
That Bow
That Big Old Bow
That Shield,
That Shield
That Big A*# Shield
That Bow,
That Bow
That Big Old Bow
-http:/www.potomaccentaurs.com/109/the-centaurs.com
-snip-
The video from which these lyrics were transcribed is no longer available on YouTube because the uploader's account was closed. Here's the summary of this video that was provided on that website:
"Brothers from the Eastern Region demonstrate the famous Centaur Walk.

The Centaur Walk was created in 1966 by IOTA brother Robert Young in celebration of the Centaur, a binding symbol which unites all members of the fraternity.
-snip-
Here's another video of the Iota's Centaur Walk:

iota phi theta centaur walk:Morgan State



mayrock1977, Uploaded on Mar 18, 2007

the brothers of Iota Phi Theta doing that centaur walk
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/01/iota-phi-theta-fraternity-inc-centaur.html for Part I of a two part series on Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.'s centaur walk. The link for Part II is on that page.

****
CLEAR THE STREETS
Editor: This was posted in response to a comment "about another chant that's was what we said anytime we were moving as a line locked up ".

"When we were locked up we used to chant

clear the streets
move aside
here comes the scrollers of K A Psi
second to none,
number one,
Kappa Alpha Psi

(then the tail dog would make a sound like a train...whoo chooo hoooo) then the chant would start from the beginning again.

ETA: Scrollers have been doing the "Kappa Left" since DZ's 1st line. It's a DZ tradition."
-PrettyBoy; http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=99226&page=4
Kappa/Stroller Chants; 4/11/2009
-snip-
This is a Kappa Alpha Psi Fratenity chant. "The tail dog" means the last man in the (vertical) line. In Black Greek letter fraternities and sororities, the last person in the vertical line is almost always the tallest.

"Dog" here is a general referent for a male. That referent in this example shouldn't be confused with the term "dog" that is used for a male who is pledging or is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., another historically black Greek letter organization.

"Locked up" means that the people in the vertical line move up very close to each other. A video example of a "lock up" formation is found in this collection under the song "Zoom Zoom Zoom".

"Get out of the way" chants are also part of Mardi Gras Indian traditions and can also be found in the repertoire of children's playground chants.

****
CONCEITED
Just the other day, I was called conceited.
Had to turn my head, cause I just couldn`t believe it.
Conceited, Conceited, I`ve always been this way.
That's just the confidence and style of an AKA.
-Ashley P.; 5/11/2007

****
DEEP IN MY HEART
Deep In My Heart
I've got Sigma to the left of me
Gamma to the right of me
Rho to the back of me

S-I-G-M-A
G-A-M-M-A
R-H-O

I don't know what you've been told
But the best of the colors are blue and gold

Deep in my heart
I love SG...Rho
Deep in my heart
I love SG...Rho
Deep in my heart
I love SG...Rho
Deep in my heart
I love SG...Rho
I love, love, love, love SGRho.

[repeat entire song]
-Black Greek Soundz CD
-snip-
Editor:
This is a transcription from a 1990-1999 Black Greek Soundz CD as found in the Jack Horntip Collection, used with permission.

****
DELTA ALL THE WAY
If I was too cool wouldn't it be nice.
To see a true stepper step for crimson and white.
Delta all the way. Delta's what they say.
Is what some little girls want to be someday.
-Dezera K.; 2/5/2007

Editor: This is a chant for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

****
DELTA SIGMA THETA
Delta Sigma Theta
Take a Second Look
It took an eternal Ivy
to write your history book

You talk about our colors
I guess you didn't think...
When you mix red & white
What you get is pink...

Editor: This is an AKA chant that disses Delta Sigma Theta. The AKA colors are pink & green. The Delta Sigma Theta colors are crimson & creme (although those colors are sometimes give as red & white). The "ivy" is the representative AKA plant. This chant reflects the long standing "beef" between AKAs & Deltas. Delta Sigma Theta was formed by 22 members of AKA who left that sorority.

****
DO YOU WANNA BE
(Alpha Angel Chant) do you wanna be....'
Doooo you wanna be..
NO! I dont wanna be no sweeeet-heart
Doooo you wanna be ...
NO! I dont wanna be no Sigma Dove
Doooo you wanna be..... NO!
I dont wanna be no Que E
Cuz i gave my heart to the frat A Phi
And there aint no turning back
Oh No! Though I may have cried
But i hoped and prayed
They'll let me into A Phi A
-Kyra H., 12/10/2006
-snip-
This is a chant from the Alpha Angels, the little sister (auxiliary) organization for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. The other auxiliaries that are mentioned are Kappa Sweethearts, the little sister group for Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity or the Iota Sweethearts, a little sister group for Iota Phi Theta.
Sigma Dove, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity's little sister group], Que E (Essence), also known as Que Pearl, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity's little sister group.

Note: Little sister groups (fraternity auxiliary groups) aren't officially recognized as Greek organizations.

****
DON'T STEP TO THIS
Loved by Omega
Chased by K A Psi
Wanted by the Alphas
And the Sigmas even tried
You know they all tried hard
But the Deltas run the yard,
We're not conceited. No,
We're just convinced. Yes!
If you don't like it,
Don't step to this!!
-Black Greek Soundz CD website, also known as the Jack Horntip Collection, re-posted on 3/21/2010 with permission from that website's editor
-snip-
This chant names four of the Black fraternities that are members of the Pan Hellenic Council-Omegas (Omega Psi Phi, also known as the Qs), K A Psi (Kappa Alpha Psi, also known as the Kappas), Alphas (Alpha Phi Alpha), and Sigmas (Phi Beta Sigma). The organization that has the most status at a university is said to "run the yard". Presumably, there would also be a fraternity that "ran the yard".

"We're not conceited" is a back handed reference to Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. These two Black Greek lettered sororities are often contentious because of their history.

****
DOUBLE ONE DOUBLE TWO
Double One, Double Two
Krimson and Kream meets Gold and Blue
EE-YIP, YO-YO,
Those Nupes and S-G-Rhos

Pretty and Perfekt, and Best Designed,
This Indi-Luv will blow ya mind,
Stop the hatin' and stop the stressin'
Bow Dooown to that Kane Konnection.
- marquise1911, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=ccb66641f027f73cbecde, 02-21-2006
-snip-
Editor: "Indi-Luv" refers to the fact that both Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc were founded at a university/college in the state of Indiana.

Kappas also frequently use the referent "Nupes" which is a form of their organization's earlier Greek letter name.

****
DOWN HERE PLEDGIN
(Gamma Iota Chapter Traditional Song)

Down here pledgin' like a lonely man,
Trying to make to make it
the best that we can.
Some say Alphas' got a hold on me.
But we don't need no sympathy.

(Chorus)

Oh Al-pha Phi Al-pha,
All I need is your Black and Gold,
A little wine and a littl lovin;
To get me ready for that Alpha Pledge.

Ice cold water running through our veins.
Some try to make us look the other way
But that Alphas' got a hold on me.
And we don't need no sympathy.

(Repeat Chorus)
-Brian A. Jackson Alpha Phi Alpha collection, permission granted to post on Cocojams.com, 3/20/2010

****
DOWN IN THE VALLEY
Down in the valley
Whoa Whoa
There is a place we long to go.
The name of it rings in our ears
Omega Omega Omega
land of the purple and the gold
land of the purple and the gold
-posted by Azizi Powell, from my memories of various step shows in Newark, New Jersey and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
-snip-
I recall this Omega Psi Phi Fraternity song being sung in moderate tempo, not chanted. "Omega" is a referent for Omega Psi Phi, Incorporated. That fraternity's colors are "purple and gold".

****
DST BE SISTAS FIRST CHOICE
DST be sistas first choice.
And AKA second.
Do u hear that noise…
it’s the AKAs stepping
Cuz u see they can’t really step to this sorority
DSTs. AKA’s wanna-be dream.
-Tiffany; 5/3/2007
-snip-
This is a Delta Sigma Theta Sorority insult chant about their #1 rival sorority -Alpha Kappa Alpha.

****
D TO THE BIG ST
D to the Big ST.
Bump that weak Skee Wee.
That BS Z Phi B.
Do this my SORORS.
DO THIS (Holding the DST sign)
-Anonymous; 12/3/2008
-snip-
This is a chant that promotes one sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. (DST), and puts down two of its
rival historically Black Greek letter sororitites.

"Bump that" means something like "knock down that". "Skee wee" is the call made by members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. {AKA}. "Z Phi B" is an abbreviation of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority.
"BS" is an abbreviation of the two word profanity.

E,F
EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART IZ CRYING Z-PHI-B (Example #1)
it's a call and response*

every beat of my heart is crying Z phi B
everybody knows we're the best sorority
no aka no dst
only z phi b for me
look over there and tell me who's supreme
it's the blue and the white and not the pink and the green
look over there and tell me who's ahead
its the blue and the white and not the white and the red
look over and tell me who's got soul
its the blue and white and not the blue and the gold
zeta zeta's got soul and power
we're gonna build ourselves a blue and white tower
finer womanhood is our cry
sisterly love sets the zetas on fire
rise rise rise sweet zeta 2x
look out, look out,look out, look out,ooooohh 4x
-zanalyst08; from the discussion thread of a YouTube video which has been deleted.

* A soloist sings the line, and the group repeats the exact same line.
-snip-
As a further tribute to this sorority's name, notice the substitution of the "z" for the "s" in the word "is".

****
EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART IS CRYING Z-PHI-B [Example #2)
Leader- Every beat of my heart is crying Z phi B [The group steps/strolls in a circle with leader in the middle of the circle]
Group- Every beat of my heart is crying Z phi B
Leader-Everybody knows we're the best sorority
Group- Everybody knows we're the best sorority
Leader -Come on sisters, get on this line.
Group - Come on sisters get on this line.
Leader - Everybody knows Zeta women are fine.
Group - Everybody knows Zeta women are fine.
Leader - We got might and we got power.
Group - We got might and we got power.
Leader - We're gonna build ourselves a blue and white tower
Group - We're gonna build ourselves a blue and white tower
Leader- Finer womanhood is our cry*
Group- Finer womanhood is our cry
Leader - Sisterly love sets the zetas on fire *
Group -Look over there and tell me who’s supreme
Leader -Look over there and tell me who’s supreme
Leader -It's the blue and the white and not the pink and the green
Group- It's the blue and the white and not the pink and the green
Leader - Look over there and tell me who's ahead
Group - Look over there and tell me who's ahead
Leader – It’s the blue and the white and not the white and the red
Group - It’s the blue and the white and not the white and the red
Leader- Look over there and tell me who's got soul
Group - Look over there and tell me who's got soul
Leader - Well it’s the blue and white and not the blue and the gold
Group - Well it’s the blue and white and not the blue and the gold
Leader - P B S and Z Phi B
Group - P B S and Z Phi B
Leader - Has to be the only true family
Group - Has to be the only true family
Leader - Every beat of my heart is crying Z phi B
Group - Every beat of my heart is crying Z phi B
Leader - Only Z Phi B for me
Group - I said only Z Phi B for me.
Leader - I said only Z Phi B for me
Group - I said only Z Phi B for me.
Leader - I said only Z Phi B for me
Group - I said only Z Phi B for me
Leader- No AKA and no DST
Group - No Aka no DST
Leader - Only Z Phi B for me
Group - I said only Z Phi B for me.
Leader – Only Z Phi B for me
Group - I said only Z Phi B for me.
Group - Rise rise rise oh Zeta
Group - Rise rise rise oh Zeta
Sorors of the blue and white [group forms circle, holds hands of persons on either side, and raises arms]
[Chant ends with sorority's signature call]
-jmarce1971 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtpl7G92pmE&feature=related ; December 1, 2010
-snip-
Transcription from video by Azizi Powell, 8/10/2012

*I’m not certain about this transcription. I added those two lines based on similar sounding ines from example # 1.

Here's that video:
Every beat of my heart - Pi Mu Chapter Zeta Phi Beta



Uploaded by jmarce1971 on Dec 1, 2010

Ladies of Zeta Phi Beta singing

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/08/every-beat-of-my-heart-is-crying-z-phi.html
for a pancocojams post of this chant/song. That post includes an explanation of the references in that chant's lyrics.

****
THE BEAT OF MY HEART [Example #3]
The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
Because everybody know we are the best sorority
Because everybody know we are the best sorority

I looked to my left and who stands supreme
The blue and the white; not the pink & the green.

I said my sorors? Yeah?
Did you heart it? Hear what?
The sound of those AKAs
I said they're hurting my head with their
A-a-kin sound
I said "Skee-Wee"
As they sake all around

With their hands in the air
Thinking they're all that
But they don't understand
Pink and Green don't even match.

The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
Because everybody know we are the best sorority
Because everybody know we are the best sorority

I look up a head and who's standing bold
The blue and the white and not the blue and the gold

I said my sorors? Yeah?
Did you hear it? Hear what?
The sound of those SGRho's
Shhhh! [sound of crickets]

No matter what we do
No matter where we go
We never hear a sound
From those SGRho

The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
Because everybody know we are the best sorority
Because everybody know we are the best sorority

I look to my right tell me who did I see?
The blue and the white not the crimson and cream

I said my sorors. Yeah?
My sexy sorors. Yeah?

The sound of the DSTs
I said "Whoooooops"
They pledged the wrong sorority

With that mistaken sound
With that darned geometry
And to make matters worse
They used to be AKA
DST is with them
And they're there today

The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
The beat of my heart is crying ZPhiB
Because everybody know we are the best sorority
Because everybody know we are the best sorority

I said my sorors. Yeah?
My sexy sorors. Yeah?

We sound sooo good today.
But then a Zeta lady sounds good everyday.
- 1990-1999 Black Greek Soundz (CD); re-posted on 3/19/2010 with permission from that website's editor
-snip-
Most fraternity & sorority chants that I've come across are unison chant. However, some lines in this chant are call & response. The lines of "The Beat Of My Heart" chant where one woman says "I said my sorors" and the rest of the group responds "Yeah?" remind me of a large number of foot stomping cheers. In those cheers the group speaks to an individual by name and that individual says "Yeah" or says "What".

****
EXCUSE ME ELEPHANTS
Excuse me Elephants what did you say?
These girls of 20 pearls pledged A-K-A
So next time paper chasers get permission to speak
Line up and greet me when you see me
or Just bow at my feet
-Anonymous; 10/30/2006
-snip-
This is a Delta Sigma Theta Sorority chant that insults new members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
"Elephants" is the mascot for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.

"Paper chaser" is a putdown of those people who join a sorority without pledging or without pledging hard. It documents attitudes about the changes in how women join Black Greek lettered sorority members (sorors) since the ban on pledging (being on line) was put in place in 1990.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/01/black-fraternities-sororities-chants.html for a pancocojams post entitled "Black Fraternities & Sororities Chants That Mention Paper, Skating, & Sliding Into Their Organizations".

****
This collection has no examples thus far that begin with the letter "F".

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment