Translate

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Old School Gospel Song "I'm So Glad That The Lord Saved Me" (Video, Lyrics, & Sermon Transcript)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a four part series that showcases examples of and lyrics to the old Gospel song "I'm So Glad The Lord Saved Me".

This post features an example of that song that is led by Pastor Mark Moore, Sr. of Faith Covenant Church, Atlanta, Georgia.

This post also includes my transcription of that YouTube sound file which in includes the song "I'm So Glad That The Lord Saved Me", two other songs, and a portion of Pastor Moore's sermon.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-original-five-blind-boys-of.html for Part II of this series.

Part II showcases an example of "I'm So Glad That The Lord Saved Me" and lyrics of that song as sung by "The Original Five Blind Boys Of Mississippi". That post also includes information about this singing group.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/12/bishop-g-e-patterson-im-so-glad-that.html for Part III of this series.

Part III showcases an example of "I'm So Glad That The Lord Saved Me"as sung by Bishop Gilbert Earl Patterson. Information about Bishop Patterson is also included in that post.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/12/miracle-tabernacle-cogics-praise.html for Part IV of this series.

Part IV showcases an example of & lyrics for "I'm So Glad That The Lord Saved Me" as sung by Miracle Tabernacle COGIC's Praise Generation choir.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, cultural, religious, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owner.

****
FEATURED VIDEO: A Pentecostal Praise Break Done Right!



atlpraiser Uploaded on Apr 24, 2008

This is my Church, Faith Covenant Church in Atlanta, Georgia doing what we do best, giving God the Praise! Our Pastor is Pastor Mark Moore, Sr. and he is a preaching machine....
-snip-
[This video is an excerpt of the sermon]

****
LYRICS: I’M SO GLAD THAT THE LORD SAVED ME
(as sung by Pastor Mark Moore, Sr.)

I’m so glad that the Lord saved me
I’m so glad that the Lord saved me
If it had not been for Jesus [tell me]
Where would I be
I’m so glad that the Lord saved me
[Repeat 3x]

He saved me (He saved me)
I’m glad that he did (He saved me)

[Repeat first verse]
Aren’t you glad that the Lord saved you etc.

Oh, He saved me
[response] He saved me
He saved me
[response] He saved me
Saved me
[response] He saved me
Saved me
[response] He saved me
If it had not been for Jesus
Where would I be
Oh I’m so glad that the Lord saved me

****
SECOND SONG:
Oh Lord, I just wanna thank you [4x]
I want to thank You for being so good to me

[Repeat entire chorus and end with these words:]

so good to me.
-snip-
This is my transcription of these songs from that video. Additions and corrections are welcome.

****
TRANSCRIPTION OF A SERMON BY FAITH COVENANT CHURCH (ATLANTA, GEORGIA)PASTOR MARK MOORE, SR. ()
[starting at 3:52 in this video]

Note: This transcription is given without the congregation’s responses, and without indicating when the organist played his responsive chords in response to the pastor's words. I recognize that these call & response exchanges are a significant part of that sermon.

[Pastor sings]
Come on an say Halleluhah
Oh, my my my. Hallelujah!
Come on and say “Hallelujah!”
Ah-ah-ah-ah. My, my, my”.
Hallelujah!
[Pastor speaks in the characteristic African American minister cadence]
God bless ya.
God bless ya.
God bless ya.

Somebody brought ah praise with ya.

There are two kinda of folk
There are, there are two kind of people who come to church on Sunday.
There are some that come looking for something to happen to make them praise.
And that’s alright. They, they they’re like the folk in the world. They don’t have enough, Amen, to get their own high. So they get ah contact high.
Yall need to talk to me. Come on.
But am I right, though?

And.. and in some atmospheres, there’s some things are in the air, some smoke is in the air that if you just hang out there long enough, you’ll get ah contact high.

But then there’s some other folk who brought their own FIRE with them.
And I didn’t come here for the preacher to make me happy.
I didn’t come for the audience to make me happy.
I brought my own joy.
I brought my own praise.
I brought my own FIYAH*
And if there’s somebody in heeeeer
that could ???
[praise break musical chords]
Ah…yall ain’t ready. Yall ain’t ready.
[Pastor sings]Ahhhh! Heey-eh-eh-eh eh.
[Pastor speaks] God bless ya.
God bless ya.
God bless ya.

Yall about to mess around and act sanctified.
Somebody might think this is ah sanctified church.
[Pastor sings] Hey! Hey! My my my my my my my.
My my. Hallelujah.
[Pastor speaks in tongues]
Hey!

[Pastor sings]
I got a praise and I gotta let it out.
I got a praise and I gotta let it out.
I got a praise
I got a praise
I got a praise
I got a pra-a –aise
I got a praise.

[Repeats these lyrics with the congregation responding]
I got a praise Him and I gotta let it out.
I got a praise.
[Pastor speaks] Hey! Gloray!** Gloray! Gloray!
Hey! Let the Saints praise Him!
Let the Saints praise Him!
Let the Saints praise Him!

If He’s been good to ya, come on and praise Him.
If He’s made ah way for ya, come on and praise Him.
[Pastor sings]
Praise Him! Praise Him!
Praise Him! Praise Him! [congregation respods with “Praise Him” each time that the Pastor says those words]
Praise Him! Praise Him!
Praise Him! Praise Him!

[This is repeated a number of times then the Pastor sings or speaks in African American minster’s cadence]
Oh-o-o. My my my.
[Pastor speaks]
God bless ya.
God bless ya.
[Pastor speaks in tongues including something that sounds like “Shonta my”.
Then Pastor says]
Surely, the presence of the Lord is in this place.
Your deliverance is here.
The Holy Ghost is here.
Your healing is here.
Whatever you need is in this place.
Gloray, gloray, gloray, gloray, gloray, gloray.
Somebody, just shout*** “Glo-o-raay!
Ah, oh, my, my, my.
Hallelujah!
God bless ya.
God bless you and be seated if you can.

We are so delighted to see each of you that are here.
__ [?], Amen.
We don’t believe that anybody is hear by accident.
If you just happened to walk in, we believe that you are here by divine design.
That God ordered your steps. How do we know that God ordered your steps, is because there have been people praying this week.
Amen.
There have been intercessors on the phone this week.
Amen. At four in the morning on Tuesday.
Amen. Praying for YOU.

*fire
**glory
***”Shout” here means “to speak loudly”, to yell.
-snip-
This is my transcription of that song from this video. Additions and corrections are welcome.

"-?" means that I'm not sure what word was said.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/05/black-church-praise-break-videos.html for my comments about the changing forms that the African American religious "shout" activity has taken since that activity was documented during African American slavery in the 18th century.

****
ADDENDUM: VIEWERS' COMMENTS ABOUT THE SONG "I'M SO GLAD THAT THE LORD SAVED ME"
Editor's Note:
These comments are in chronological order with the comments with the oldest year's date presented first. They are presented for the historical and cultural record. I assigned numbers to the comment for referencing purposes. No order of preference is intended by these numbers.

I know nothing about the composers of "I'm So Glad That The Lord Saved Me" and "I got a praise and I gotta let it out".

I'd love to know their composers, and when & where they were first sung. Any information about these songs will be greatly appreciated.

COMMENTS:
2008
1. Kia JaI, 2008
“what song is this. i like it”
**
2. baconboy59, 2008
in reply to Kia Jai
“These are old pentacostal congregational songs. There is no music written for them, they are just handed down orally from church to church. The first song is called "i'm so glad the lord saved me" and the other is "lord i just want to thank you. I hope this helps.”
-snip-
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecostalismhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecostalism
"Pentecostalism or Classical Pentecostalism is a renewal movement[1] within Christianity that places special emphasis on a direct personal experience of God through the baptism with the Holy Spirit. The term Pentecostal is derived from Pentecost, the Greek name for the Jewish Feast of Weeks. For Christians, this event commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the followers of Jesus Christ, as described in the second chapter of the Book of Acts".

Also, click http://www.cai.org/bible-studies/history-pentecostal-movement for more information about Pentecostal churches.

****
2009
3. TheChiteach
"organist isn't familiar with the old praise songs...pity"

**
Reply
5. “Agree with you Chiteach.....Those old devotion songs were the best.....too bad they're being lost to this generation.”

****
HisGraceProphetDLK
6. “This is the ole church that I knew that we sung at the "Church of Praisers" Grace Memorial COGIC, wow.. you don't hear the ole songs anymore. I try to keep them around”
-snip-
COGIC = Church Of God In Christ
From http://pressreleases.religionnews.com/2013/07/11/church-of-god-in-christ-will-keep-its-largest-convention-in-st-louis-through-2016/
"About The Church Of God In Christ"

The Church of God in Christ is the fifth largest Protestant religious denomination in the United States, the largest African American Pentecostal church in the country and the second largest Pentecostal organization in the world with churches in 60 countries worldwide and an estimated membership of nearly 6.5 million members.

Click that link for more information about that Christian denomination.

****
2010
7. Daddysgirl767
"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees I'm so glad that the Lord saved me.... you better take me back!"
-snip-
I think that "you better take me back!" refers to that old way that some African Americans worshiped in churches.

****
8. TheSoulshifter, 2010
“This an old cogic song i like this one"

****
9. vickvick99
“This is good ole fashion church!!!!!! Loooove It !! Um but where did it go they don't have church like that no more What happened???? OOh Zion whats the matter now!!!”

****
10. TheStarbaby7
“I enjoyed this alot..i liked the medley and the music..lets go back to the old time way..that's what i like boy, i got saved under that stuff..Bless this church over in the vineyard doing your work Lord..and i love the song Praise i got a praise..its made for shouting boy..lol..God bless!! :-)”

****
11. T Last
“Yes!!!!! They did that clap!”
-snip-
I think that "the clap" here refers to the double time handclap that is done as accompaniment for some Gospel songs.

****
2011
12. ChurchGirlAllDay1
“I'm SOOOOOO Glad The Lord Save Me!!!! Love Good Ol Pentecostal Songs!!!”

****
RELATED POST
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/12/cut-step-and-other-black-pentecostal.html

****
This concludes Part I of this series.

My thanks to Pastor Mark Moore, Sr. and to his congregation. My thanks also to the publisher of this video, and to all those who I quoted in this post.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment