Translate

Friday, June 7, 2013

Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley - Every Day in the Week Blues (sound file & lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the early Blues song "Every Day in the Week Blues" by Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley. Information about Pink Anderson & two versions of lyrics for this song are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT PINK ANDERSON
From http://www.bluessearchengine.com/bluesartists/a/pinkanderson.html
"Pink Anderson (February 12, 1900–October 12, 1974) was a blues singer and guitarist, born in Laurens, South Carolina. After being raised in Spartanburg (in upstate South Carolina), he joined Dr. Kerr of the Indian Remedy Company in 1914 to entertain the crowds (sing, dance, in the early days) while Kerr tried to sell a concoction purported to have medicinal qualities. In 1916, in Spartanburg, Pink Anderson met Simmie Dooley, from whom Pink learned to be a blues singer. When Pink Anderson was not travelling with Dr. Kerr, he and Simmie Dooley would play small gatherings in Spartanburg and neighboring communities. After Dr. Kerr retired in 1945, Pink Anderson stayed pretty much close to home in Spartanburg, keeping his musical talents in tune with a small guitar and harmonica. Heart problems forced Pink Anderson to retire in 1957. Pink Anderson's son, known as Little Pink Anderson is currently a bluesman in Georgia. Pink Anderson recorded some songs in the 1960s and appeared in the 1963 film The Bluesmen. Roger 'Syd' Barrett derived the name Pink Floyd juxtapositioning the first names of Pink Anderson and Floyd Council he had read about in a sleevenote by Paul Oliver for a 1962 Blind Boy Fuller LP (Philips BBL-7512)"...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO - Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley - Every Day in the Week Blues



dylansaves, Uploaded on Dec 20, 2009

Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley perform "Every Day in the Week Blues," found on the compilation series "Times Ain't Like They Used to Be: Rural Music of the 1920's and 30's." Pictured: Pink Anderson
-snip-
A transcription of the lyrics for this version of "Every Day Of The Week Blues" is found below. However, that transcription doesn't include the dialogue between Pink Anderson And Simmie Dooley which I believe adds to the "feel" -the cultural tone- of that recording.

A commenter to this sound file's viewer comment thread shares that the boy pictured in the photograph that is used for this sound file is probably Alvin "Lil' Pink" Anderson, Pink's son. Lil' Pink is also a guitarist who still performs.

Another commenter confirms that this song is really called "Every Day In The Week Blues" although Pink Anderson did record another version of that song.
(Those lyrics are found below as Version #2)

This same sound file can also be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr52zaz6os0

****
LYRICS - EVERY DAY IN THE WEEK BLUES

Version #1:
I woke up this morning
What you reckon was on my mind
My brown told me to leave but I told her I just wasn't gwine

Woke up singing this morning
When the clock was striking four
All I heard my baby crying daddy please don't go

Show me the train
You call the Cannonball
That's the train don't stop a'tall

My momma told me
When I was but a child
That there's good times now but terrible after a while

If you ride the Seaboard
I ride the L & N
Momma that's the train'll sure carry me in the wind

My momma told me
When I was four years old
You gonna be around a woman god bless your soul

Lord a mean old fireman
A cruel old engineer
Took my good girl and left me standing here

I'm gon' buy me a manger
I wanna carry it to the sky
So I can see my baby when she comes passing by

Well I took this brown skinned woman
From my best friend
And that rascal got lucky and stole her back again

I woke up this morning
Ah with the rising sun
Said go away day and let tomorrow come

Singing my blues
And I sing 'em when I please
I sing these blues to give my poor heart ease

Sometime I feel like
I done throw it away
Take this old guitar and whoop these blues all day

You must get your basket brownie
And make it into them woods
If you don't find an old apple you must make black [berries]* good

Source : Fkeller, July 24, 2012, 12:20:27 PM http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2742.15

That blogger prefaced this transcription with this comment "Been meaning to check collective wisdom on this for a long time. I've always loved this one but could use some help in a couple spots. I searched but didn't see that this had been done before. I apologize if it has."

*Two other commenters shared that that word was "berries" instead of "bread" as Fkeeller had transcribed it.

"My brown" and "brownie" were commonly used and acceptable referent among some Black American for [Black American] women with brown skin. The term "yellow woman" in version #2 of this song refers to Black American women with very light skin.

****
Version #2:
I woke up this morning, when the clock was striking four
You oughta heard my baby cry, ‘daddy, please don’t go’
I can’t believe you woman, God knows I have to go
Had the blues so long since I made my poor heart so

Well the blues jumped the devil, run the devil a solid mile
The devil sat down and he cried like a newborn child
If you’ve got you one woman, well you sure better get you five
Cuz two might quit you and the other three might die

I’ve got a Monday woman, works on 4th and Main
I’ve got a Tuesday woman brings me all her change
My Wednesday woman brings me whiskey and beer
I’ve got a Thursday woman, raise sand if she catch me here
My Friday woman just won’t treat me right,
I got a Saturday woman I declare works me all night
My Sunday woman leaves me on my own to sleep
You gotta know about that, got a gal every day in the week

I don’t love no yellow woman, and I ain’t crazy about no brown
Cuz you can’t tell the difference I declare when the sun go down
My old grandma, and my grandpa, both of them got old and grey
If grandpa hadn’t a talked careful I wouldn’t have been here today

I’m going to sing this verse and I declare I ain’t gonna sing no more
I’m gonna leave here directly, gonna walk and tell everything I know

Transcribed by Fingerstyleblues.com
Source: http://fingerstyleblues.com/lesson-20-pink-andersons-every-day-in-the-week-blues/

snip-
That website also has guitar chords for this song.

Here's an excerpt from that website:
"Every Day in the Week Blues is a classic Pink Anderson song which can be found on Pink Anderson: Vol. 1 Carolina Bluesman and the album this version comes from, the great Gospel Blues & Street Songs album which features the songs of both Pink Anderson and Reverend Gary Davis. This is an energetic song played in the Piedmont style with a loose ragtime sort feel."
-snip-
Another partial lyric version to this song can be found at http://www.lyricszoo.com/pink-anderson/every-day-of-the-week/.

****
Thanks to these vocalists for their musical legacy. Thanks also to the transcribers of this song who I have quoted, and thanks to the publishers of this sound file on YouTube.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment