Translate

Friday, June 7, 2013

Hubert Sumlin with Billy Branch - ''You Can't Change Me'' (with lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the performance of the Blues song "You Can't Change Me" by Hubert Sumlin and Billy Branch.

My transcription of the lyrics to that song is also included in this post. Additions & corrections of those lyrics are welcome.

This post also includes biographical information about those two Bluesmen.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT HUBERT SUMLIN
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Sumlin">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Sumlin
"Hubert Charles Sumlin (November 16, 1931 – December 4, 2011) was a Chicago blues guitarist and singer,[1] best known for his "wrenched, shattering bursts of notes, sudden cliff-hanger silences and daring rhythmic suspensions" as a member of Howlin' Wolf's band.[2] Sumlin was listed as number 43 in the Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.[3]

... As a boy, Sumlin first met Howlin' Wolf by sneaking into a performance. When Wolf relocated from Memphis to Chicago in 1953, his long-time guitarist Willie Johnson chose not to join him. Upon his arrival in Chicago, Wolf first hired Chicago guitarist Jody Williams, and in 1954 Wolf invited Sumlin to relocate to Chicago to play second guitar in his Chicago-based band. Williams left the band in 1955, leaving Sumlin as the primary guitarist, a position he held almost continuously (except for a brief spell playing with Muddy Waters around 1956) for the remainder of Wolf's career... Sumlin played on the album Howlin' Wolf, also called The Rockin' Chair Album, which was named the third greatest guitar album of all time by Mojo magazine in 2004."...

****
INFORMATION ABOUT BILLY BRANCH
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Branch
"Billy Branch (born William Earl Branch, October 3, 1951, Great Lakes, Illinois, United States) is an American blues harmonica player and singer of Chicago blues and harmonica blues...

Billy Branch is a three time Grammy nominee, a retired two term governor for the Chicago Grammy Chapter, an Emmy Award winner, and a winner of the Addy Award. In addition, Branch has received numerous humanitarian and music awards.

Branch was born in Great Lakes, Chicago, Illinois, although his family moved to Los Angeles when he was five years old. In 1969 he moved to Chicago where he attended and graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago.[1]

Branch attended the first Chicago Blues Fest, produced by Willie Dixon, in 1969. Six years later, after graduating from the University of Illinois, he was touring with the band led by Willie Dixon called the Chicago Blues All-Stars. He soon took the place of the harmonica player Carey Bell, when Carey left the All Stars to form his own band.

In the 1970s, Branch founded his own group, The Sons of Blues, along with Lurrie Bell on guitar and Freddie Dixon on bass guitar.[1] They are the sons of Carey Bell and Willie Dixon respectively, and they recorded for Alligator Records and with a change in personnel for Red Beans Records.[1] The new band consisted of Carlos Johnson on guitar and J.W. Williams on vocals and bass guitar.[1] He has also recorded for Verve Records and Evidence Records.[2][3]"...

****
SHOWCASE SOUND FILE [WITH PHOTOGRAPHS & DRAWINGS]

Hubert Sumlin with Billy Branch (on harmonica )~''You Can't Change Me''



Published on Apr 5, 2013

The GREAT GUITARIST of Howlin' Wolf...Hubert Sumlin !!!

****
LYRICS - YOU CAN'T CHANGE ME*

I been gone so long
Yeah, baby, I been gone so long.
See you got me in trouble here.
Every since I’ve been gone.
I did all I could for you.
Seems like all the things I did
Wasn’t no good.
[instrument solos]

I been good so long here
Now, baby, I think you understand
I been worked so long for many years
Little girl, I think you understand it, you understand
I did everything I could for you, listen
I think you gotta a wonder of a man

[Hey.]

[instrument solos]

Goodbye, baby
It be goodif I never seen you, never seen you, sugar
Ah, you know I’ve been abused all my life,
Hey, little girl I don’t care if I never don’t see you no more.
Baby baby, baby
I thought I caught your last trick
Now I know I don’t need a baby.
-snip-
The words given in italics indicate are those whose transcriptions I'm unsure of. Additions & corrections are welcome for this entire transcription.

****
Thanks to Hubert Sumlin & Billy Branch for their musical legacy.
Thanks to the publisher of this sound file & the excellent historical photographs & drawings that are presented with it.

Thanks for visting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment