Walking the Dog ~ Tony Showtime Riley featuring Mrs. Glenda
Bertha Brooks, Mar 9, 2017
****
Edited by Azizi Powell
This post showcases two YouTube videos of how the "Walking The Dog" dance (also known as "The Bulldog"/ "The Dog") dance/s were performed in the 1960s.
This post also includes selected comments from those videos' discussion threads about this topic.
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2026/09/a-2025-youtube-video-of-soul-line-dance.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. That post showcases a 2025 trail ride (country) YouTube video of "Finna Get Loose" that features movements from the early 20th century/1940s jazz dance "Ballin The Jack" and the 1960s dance "Walking The Dog". That trail ride video is compared with a 2025 urban soul line dance video of "Finna Get Loose" that doesn't include those movements.
All copyrights remain with their owners.
Thanks to Rufus Thomas for his musical legacy. Thanks to all others who are featured in these videos and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.
****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM SHOWCASE VIDEO #1
Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.
1. @missmisses124
"ABSOLUTELY love and appreciate the upload! I've been
wondering how to do this since I heard about my great great aunties and their
dancing skills. π₯°"
**
Reply
2. @LADYDIVA
"Miss Misses My great auntie use to do it. So the elders can’t talk about the girls today
tweaking."
-snip-
spelling correction: “tweaking”= “twerking”
3.
"We would get in trouble for doing that dance"
****
2021
"THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE!!! Go girl!!!"
**
5. @TMPtaytion
"All my aunt told me is that it’s “a nasty dance” π"
**
Reply
6. @joshburns493, 2023
"Me too
****
2022
7. @alethadavis4169
"You can imagine in her prime, she was showing the hell ouuuuuuuuuuut. Get it Queen."
**
8. @Sue.Do-Nym
"Yes, it was considered a "nasty dance" back in the 60s AND they used to fine you down south if they caught you doing it. Of course, that made everybody want to do it!"
**
9. @moniquehamilton5195
"Mrs. Glenda is doing the dance much more nasty than it was performed back in the day. She is twerking."
**
Reply
10.@karynmitchell2509, 2023
"Nope. That’s how some people did it back in the day."
**
Reply
11. @BluesInMySoul, 2025
"Not true."
**
Reply
12. @OpheliaBrown-z9z, 2026
"Ms Glenda is “walking the dog”. Back when I was little it
was called the “nasty dance”. Ma Glenda is doing the damn thang."
**
Reply
13. @elizabethwharry680, 2026
"No wonder my sister was afraid to show me!"
14.
"ππΎYOUππΎBETππΎTAHππΎWERKππΎMAMAππΎ!
π₯ππΎπ₯°"
****
2023
"She walked that DOG. I MNOW ALL ABOUT THAT SONG AND DANCE I LOVE IT."
**
16. @onlytee7499
"My aunt be killing this dance right here
****
2024
****
2025
2026
17.@MrVeraajohnson06
"Walk that dog Ms. Glenda!"
**
18. @tyronedavis1347
"Oh wow. !!!!!!! Ok granny"
**
19. @robertbennett6418
"This song and dance was banned at the teen center when I was a kid. Wonder Why ... ???"
**
20. @timothylee8004
"I love black history!
*****
Nov 14, 2025 @RashidAli-bx5uz
The Dog · Rufus Thomas
-snip-
"DMV"= Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia (region) of the United States
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM SHOWCASE VIDEO #2
https://youtube.com/shorts/7yuPbBQETZk?si=-7HHQ_oh-SJt6ANR
All of these comments are from 2026. These comments are presented in relative chronological order with the oldest comments given first.
1. @angelbug525
"Omg!! my Aunties used to do this dance as teens. They are
now 78 - 81 π
π
"
**
2. @kathymartinez4126
"Look at granny walking the dog and raised her
leg to pee on the table"
**
Reply
3. @annettecoleman314
"LMBO hahahahahaha ππ not fire hindrance on the DJ table hahahahahaha she just took me out π hahahahahaha"
**
Reply
4. @NodramaNoProblem
"Whatttt π
no"
**
Reply
5. @leslierenee3900
"LAWDππππ"
**
Reply
6. @IrieVybz-e7m
"Oh yea."
**
Reply
7. @DarleneWare-q7t
"Cut Up!"
**
8. @denisemoore9316
"That’s not quite the way they did
it! It wasn’t a dance that kids
did! This was jukejoint music and
dancing!!!"
**
9. @kimdawson9029
"You go seniors,they now call that the butt Pop ππΎ"
**
10. @DebraWilliams-r5r7p
"Ok ladies"
**
11. @KarenEnglish-e1k
"ππ❤
this they walking that bull dog π"
12.
"I am 75 and I was 14 when that came out. I was not allowed
to do that dance either. My little
sister was allowed because everybody thought it was cute. The woman in the black dress is the only one
who really got it. I use to sneak and do
the dance."
**
13. @rondothard1698
"My mom has a story about this dance. They were not allowed
to do the dog at the high school dance
she’s 80 now. I see why !"
**
Reply
14. @queenjohnson2770
"We in MS were not
allowed ππππ"
-snip-
"MS" = the state of Mississippi in the United States.
**
15. @patwilliams2672
"I don't know where they are, but I wish I was there with
them having a good time "doing the dog"...".
**
Reply
16. @carlathompson4807
"They’re in Cheverly, Maryland!"
**
17. @JurlineKing
"Put smile on my face, do the bulldog ππ
❤❤❤π"
-snip-
Rufus Thomas recorded "Do The Bulldog" after the success of his "Walking The Dog" record. In this record, Rufus Thomas sings "Do the dog, do the dog, do the bull dog." This led to that singer being nicknamed "Rufus (The Bulldog) Thomas."
**
18. @rosamondsmith6243
"They killed it."
**
19. @smilez7932
"Y’all betta do that Dog!!! ππ½ππ½ππ½πππ"
**
20. @cherylevining5614
"Right, can you imagine? Throwing leg up like a scratching fleas ππππππ"
**
Reply
21. @cherylevining5614
"I love it though they're having fun"
**
22. @darlener1120
"If you only seen my auntie doing the bulldog. House parties
in the late 60 and 70 were off the hook. Love this❤❤❤❤"
**
23. @GucciDibiase
"Lol get it! ππ΅ππΎπ₯
Beautiful women having fun!"
**
24. @maryrichardson7720
"Yes Old Way back memories ❤ππhook. Love this❤❤❤❤"
25.
"The lady leaning on the table with one leg upπ
π€£"
**
26. @JacquelineProut
"Yesssssssssssss
Enjoyed that day big
memories of my youth we had to keep it clean but the adults didn't
π"
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.
Visitor comments are welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment