Translate

Monday, May 6, 2024

"I Bet You Won't Get Buck" And Two Other Very Similar Stomp & Shake Cheerleading Cheers


Cheer Leads Elite, April 2, 2022
-snip-
The words to this version of the cheer "I Bet You Won't Get Buck" is given below.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision -May 8, 2024

This pancocojams post showcases the cheerleader cheer "Bet You Won't Get Buck" and two other very similar examples of children's and teens' stomp & shake cheerleader cheers: "I Bet You Won't Get Tough" and "I Bet You Won't Turn Up".

The words to these cheers (as chanted by the cheerleading teams in those videos) are included after their video along with the Hip Hop record that inspired that cheer.

Explanations about the African American Vernacular English words "buck", and "turned up" are included in this post along with the vernacular English meaning of the word "tough" in the context of that cheer.


The Addendum to this post lists the titles of Hip Hop songs that inspired these cheers.

The content of this post is presented for historical, cultural, and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are featured in these videos and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to all the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
WHAT DO THE WORDS "GET BUCK", 'TURN UP", AND "GET TOUGH" MEAN IN THE CONTEXT OF THESE CHEERS?
The terms "get buck", get turned up", and "get tough" have the same or very similar meanings as the word "crunk". The African American Vernacular English word "crunk" means 'to act wild and crazy".

However, another meaning of "get buck" is "to fight". Although these cheers might not be chanted at an actual cheer battle (also known as "cheer offs"), the fact of the matter is that in stomp & shake cheerleading, throughout the entire athletic competition as well as during the game's half time, the two school's cheerleading teams are always "battling" with their taunting/bragging cheers and those cheers' accompanying routines.

As such, I believe that the word "you" in these stomp & shake cheers refers to the cheerleaders' opposing school's cheerleader team. The "I Bet You Won't Get Buck" and "I Bet Y'all Won't Turn Up" cheers are addressed to those opposing cheerleaders. Those cheers taunt those cheerleaders can't win a cheer battle against the cheerleaders who are chanting those cheers.   

Alternatively, (or at the same time), the word "you" in those cheers refers to the opposing school's athletic team. Those basketball players or football players are the ones who can't buck and/or who can't get turned up enough to have the intensity, and drive, and skill to go buck wild and turnt up on the court or on the field to win those games.   

However, the "I Bet You Won't Get Tough" that is chanted by young children (given below as Video #2)  serves as exception to this theory. Instead of being a taunting cheer that is directed at the opposing cheerleading team and/or the opposing athletic team, I believe that "I Bet You Won't Get Tough" is chanted to motivate and encourage the cheerleader's athletic team to "go hard" (be tough" and play the game to win that competition. Notice the last line of that cheer "
Get tough. I said so."  

****
THE WORDS THAT THE CHEERLEADING SQUAD CHANTED IN THE VIDEO THAT IS EMBEDDED AT THE TOP OF THIS POST.
[entire squad] - So what's up?
[one squad member]- What's up?
[entire squad] - Let's go.
I bet you won't get buck
I bet you won't get buck
I bet you won't get buck
So what's up? I said so.
I bet you won't get buck
I bet you won't get buck
I bet you won't get buck

[The squad does hand clapping and foot stomping routine without chanting]

I bet you won't get buck
I bet you won't get buck
I bet you won't get buck
I said so.

[Additions and corrections are welcome.]
-snip-
Click https://www.tiktok.com/@stompnshakecheerr/video/7181557923389213994 and https://www.tiktok.com/@kayeamont/video/7311207582809754926 for Tik Tok videos of two other  stomp and shake cheerleader squads performing "I Bet You Won't Get Buck". The words to those versions of "I Bet You Won't Get Buck" are slightly different from the words that are given above.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2 -
 I bet you won’t get tough Baby battle cheers #love #cheer

Coach Shantel, Jul 31, 2021

#Cheers #Detroit 10 youth with a little Detroit sass. So what’s up come shake something
-snip-
Here are the words that this squad chanted for this cheer:

I bet you won't get tough
I bet you won't get tough
I bet you won't get tough
Get tough. I said so.
I bet you won't get tough
I bet you won't get tough
I bet you won't get tough
Get tough. I said so.

[Additions and correction are welcome.]

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #3 -  I Bet Y'All Won't Turn Up   



@cheerleadingVideos, December 4, 2023
-snip-
Here's the words that this squad chanted for this cheer: 

"I bet y'all won’t turn up
i bet y'all won't turn up
I bet y'all won't turn up
You down? For what?
I bet y'all won’t turn up
I bet y'all won’t turn up
I bet y'all won't turn up
Y'all down? For what?
Y'all mad? So what
Y'all scared? Get buck"
-snip-

"Turn up" is a standard English language spelling for the African American term "turnt up".   "Turnt up" is a verb that means "get drunk:, "get high", or "go crazy." "Turnt up" may also be used as an adjective. (Example: The party was turnt up". "Tore up" is another adjective form of "turnt up" (Example: He drank so much he was tore up".  

The word "y'all" in that cheer means "you" (plural).

In the context of the stomp and shake cheerleader cheer "I Bet Y'all Won't Turn Up" the word "y'all" means "you" and the term "turn up" means the same thing as the AAVE terms "get crunk" and "get buck". i.e. "exert the energy, play such an intense game that you when the basketball game against our team."   

Here's the meanings for three other lines in the cheer "I Bet Y'all Won't Turn Up":  
"Y'all down? For what?" - "Are you okay (cool) with doing something in particular.

The phrase ["I'm] down for what" or "Are you down for ___" 
 is documented in a poorly regarded gangsta rap single by Ice Cube entitled "Down For Whateverr". That song was included in Ice Cube's lethal Injection album whose release date was December 1993. 

In the context of this stomp & shake cheer, "Y'all down/ For what?" repeats that common vernacular saying daring that opposition cheerleading team and/or the opposing athletic team to try to "bring it on".("to try to outcheer them and/or to try to win the basketball game or football game.)
 
"Y'all mad? So what". - The cheerleaders who are chanting these taunting words don't care if the opposition cheerleaders are angry at them because of this cheer.

"You scared? Get buck" - The cheerleaders who are taunting their opposition cheerleaders asking them if they are scared. They are also declaring that if they aren't scared, then they should "get buck". 

In the context of this cheer, "get buck" means "to fight" (i.e. "knuck if you buck" (Put up your knuckles if you're foolish enough to fight". Alternatively (and/or at the same time) "get buck" means "to get "buck wild" (go crazy). Therefore, in the context of the "I Bet You Won't Turn Up" cheer as well as the "I Bet You Won't Get Buck" cheer, the cheerleaders are saying that the opposition cheerleaders (and the opposition athletic team) doesn't have what it takes to perform intensely (go wild) enough to win against them and their school's athletic team.
-snip-
Click https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/dictionary/what-turns-up-when-you-look-into-turn-up "What Turns Up When You Look Into "Turn Up" " written by Neal Whitman, 2017* 

*This year isn't cited but is inferred in that article
This article traces that meaning of term "turnt up" to African American culture as early as 1995 and 1998, but indicates that its use became particularly popular in African American culture in 2017, thanks to Beyonce's record "Turnt" and other music examples.

****
ADDENDUM - THE HIP HOP RECORDS THAT INSPIRED THESE CHEERS

WARNING- These Hip Hop records contain profanity, "the n word", and sexually explicit lyrics.

Addition and corrections are welcome.


The Crowd Pleasers - "Betcha won't get crunk" (Feat DJ Smurf) - [released in 1998]

**
Young Buck - "Get Buck" [released in 2009]

**
Young Jeezy -"Turn Up" - [released in 2013
 
Big D- "Girl I Bet You Won't Turn Up" [released in 2013]

**
Mouse and Level - "Bet U Won't, first released in 2015,YouTube video published 2017]

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment