Translate

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Two Nigerian Children's Singing Games: "Disco Dance" And "If I Call Your Name" (YouTube video, lyrics, & play instructions )



ibifunke, Feb. 13, 2011

dance your mama dance, dance your papa dance -snip-
The second game begins at 1:08 in this video.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a 2011 video of two examples of Nigerian children's show me your motion singing games that I refer to as "Disco Dance" and "If I Call Your Name".

My transcription of these games is given in this post along with my observations of how the girls and boys in the video played these games.

The content of this post is given for folkloric, cultural, and entertainment purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the children who are featured in this video and thanks to the producer and publisher of this video on YouTube.
-snip-
This is part of an ongoing pancocojams post on circle formations for Black children's singing games, and other Black cultural activities. Click the "circle formation" tag below for more upcoming posts on this subject.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
I wrote this transcription of this video on March 30, 2021.

I first watched this video around 2018 and shared a draft transcription of the words to these singing games on that video's discussion thread. I wrote that my guess was that these games were Nigerian, based on the video publisher's name "Ibifunke".

I recall Ibifunke responding to my comment and confirming that these games were Nigerian. I also recall that she corrected some of my original transcriptions.

Unfortunately, that exchange of comments was lost after Feb. 28, 2019 when YouTube deleted all comments to most discussion threads for YouTube children's videos. [https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47408969
. Also, regrettably, I can't find any of my notes about this video and I can't identify any pancocojams post that I might have published that includes these singing games. 

Consequently, I’m not sure if these are the actual titles of these singing games. I chose these titles based on the words of these singing games.

If you know these games, please share information about them in the comment section below along with information about the names for these games and demographic information such as where (city, nation) you heard or performed these singing games, and when (year or decade) you heard or performed these singing games.. Thanks!   

****
SINGING GAME #1: DISCO DANCE

Directions (given in italics):

Girls and boys form a circle.

 Each child is assigned a number.

When that number is called, that child goes into the middle of the circle and does a dance when the rest of the group sings “Come and show me your disco dance”.

After dancing, the child in the middle exits the circle, the number of another child is randomly called,  and the game begins again from the beginning with that new number being used in that song.

Number 1, come inside.
Come and show me your disco dance.
Ah this* and that. [*"This" sounds like "dis" to me in that video.
Ah this and that.

Number 3 come inside.
Come and show me your disco dance.
Ah this and that.
Ah this and that.

Number 5 come inside.
Come and show me your disco dance.
Ah this and that.
Ah this and that.

Number 6 come inside.
Come and show me your disco dance.
Ah this and that.
Ah this and that.

SINGING GAME #2 "IF I CALL YOUR NAME"

In the video that is embedded in this post, the "Disco Dance" singing game ends and the "If I Call Your Name Will You Come And Dance"  game begins without any transition. 
If played separately, children form a ring and follow the other instructions given below. 


SINGING GAME #2: "IF I CALL YOUR NAME"

If I call your name
Will you come and dance
If I call your name
Will you come and dance

If I call your name
Will you come and dance
If I call your name
Will you come and dance

If I call your name
Will you come and dance
If I call your name
Will you come and dance

[Someone in the group calls a name]

[Child's name]. Will you come and dance.

The girl or boy with that name moves into the center of the circle. That child stays in the middle of the circle and does a dance while the other children sing:Do your mama dance

Do your papa dance.
See see see
See how he [or “she”] dance.

That child exits the circle and the song begins from the beginning with another child’s name being called. 

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment