Translate

Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Global Reach Of Ethiopian Tigrayan Singer Ephrem Amare's Love Song " 'Sey" (Part II - comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on 
Ethiopian Tigrayan singer Ephrem Amare's 2018 hit love song " 'Sey".


Part II showcases the 2018 official YouTube video of the love song " 'Sey " by  Ethiopian Tigrayan singer Ephrem Amare. Part II also provides some comments from that video's discussion thread. Many of those comments document the global reach of that song.

Click 
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/06/youtube-video-of-ethiopian-tigrayan_83.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. Part I provides information about the Tigrayan people of Ethiopia and Eritrea and information about the Tigrinya language.

Part I also showcases the 2018 official YouTube video of the love song " 'Sey " by  Ethiopian Tigrayan singer Ephrem Amare.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.


All copyrights remain with their owners.


Thanks to 
Ephrem Amare for his music and thanks to all those who are associated with this music and this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.


****
SHOWCASE VIDEO - Ephrem Amare - 'Sey (Official Video) | 'ሰይ - Ethiopian Music 2018


ADMAS MUSIC, September 7, 2018

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD

Many of the comments in this compilation include the commenter's nation, region, and/or ethnic group. Among the other comments that are included in this compilation are comments that express Ethiopian's pride in the diversity of their nation and comments that express the connection that the commenters feel toward another African nation or nations, and particularly toward another East African nation or East African nations.

A small portion of this song's lyrics are also included in a few of these comments.  

I read A LOT of the comments in this discussion thread and I believe that I've included at least one example of every nation and/or every ethnic group that is mentioned in the comments that I read. More than one comment may be included for some nations/ethnic groups. (Full disclosure: I included a longish comment [#52] that I wrote in response to a comment about why people mention where they are from in their comments.  

Except for a few comments, 
I have purposely omitted comments that are political. I also purposely omitted comments that include profanity, and/or that are argumentative or insulting toward a nation and/or an ethnic group.

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

2019

1. Haile Kassa
"wowww powerful tigrigna muzic , I  never seen such a wonderful tigrigna muzic everything is perfect song;dressing;video;beautiful ppl...keep it up."

**
2. Abdullahi Abdi
"I am from republic of somalia 🇸🇴🇸🇴.
Don't undrestand but really very nice."

**
3. kemeria hassen
"Everything about this song is perfect. I can’t get enough of it. I don’t understand Tigergna but I think he’s saying I’m glad I found, love you. I’m lucky. My best friend is from Mekele. Correct me if I’m wrong. Any way what ever he said It’s beautiful song. Keep it up Efu!!!! We’ll except you with another extraordinary work just like this one"

**
REPLY 
4. Hilina Tedla
"U right"

**
5. Elsabet Wedajo
"I thought he is saying "proud to love you and am happy" am I correct?"

**
6. Frezgi Hameroha
"you get it right.....let me add a little bit more...
ለልቤ እንኳንም አፍቅሬ ጥሩ ነገር አደረኩላት"
-snip-
Google translate from Amharic to English
"I even loved my heart and did good things for her"

**
REPLY
7. BT Tube
"u r right ok"

**
REPLY
8. Hilina Tedla, 2020
"Yes,plus I'm lucky I found you... I have done everything to find you...finally got you"

**
9. burhan nura
"Listening to All the way from Uk. I’m gonna book a ticket, to landing Tigray mekelle"

**
10. Ye wollo konjo
"My fav tigrgna song even if I can’t understand what he said but l always hear tigrgna song
Am ur biggest fan from USA 🇺🇸 bro 💗👌👍🏻🙏"

**
REPLY 
11, Filmon T
"Basically the chorus says i struggled so hard to find u. Im grateful i fell in love"

**
12. Hayat Siraj
"እኔ ጉራጌ ነኝ
እኔ አማራ ነኝ
እኔ ኦሮሞ ነኝ
እኔ ትግሬ ነኝ
ሁሉ ሀገሬ ኢቶፕያ ናት
ዘፈኑ ተመችቶኛል"
-snip-
Google translate from Amharic to English
"I am a Guru
I'm Amhara
I am an Oromo
I am struggling
All my country is Ethiopia
I like the song
**
REPLY
13. negestsaba, 
"Hayat Siraj - I second that"
**
REPLY
14. ተመስገን ኣምላኬ Aill
ኣናመሰግናለን ወድሜ ሁሉ የኛነው
-snip-
Google translate  from Amharic to English
Thank You God Aill [commenter's name]
"Thank you and we are all the same"

**
REPLY
15. Muneera Labeeb, 2020
🌹🌹🌹🇪🇹🇪🇹

**
REPLY
16. Zenebech Zenebech, 2020
Iove.. Ethiopia🇪🇹🇪🇹🇪🇹🇪🇹🇪🇹

**
REPLY
17. Emaye, 2020
"Yes! I am that I am."

**
18. kemeria hassen
"Can you believe this song had been listened over 17 Million. This shows we like each other. Nothing can break us!!!
I love you Man for Uniting us"

**
REPLY
19. Ma B
"Kemeria hassen yes we Ethiopian's are beautiful together ♥ ♥ ♥ one love!♥ ♥ ♥"

**
REPLY
20. kemeria hassen
"Ma B
True our differences should be our beauty and strength. Listening this song and many other different Ethiopian cultural song always made me think proud of being Ethiopian"

**
REPLY
21. Ma B
"@kemeria hassen Yes our diversity is our beauty ♥ our diversity makes us unique! But I don't think many people understands it. I respect all Ethiopian with equal eye. I love them all♥♥♥"

**
REPLY 
22. Solian Solian
"EXACTLY I AM ETHIOPIAB GURAGY BUT I LOVE TEGERYY  .THAT IS HOW  GOD CREATE  US NO ONE GOING TO CHANGE OUR BLOOD .WE ARE MIX WITH EVERY THING. EMOTIONALLY  WE ARE  VERY   ATTACHED  ONE TO  ANOTHER"

**
23. Bobaman Tv. October 2019
"Now 19M👀views congratulations Ephrem 👑 from Eritrea 🇪🇷"

**
24. Wedi Eri
"Great Work Ephrem!!!
Your Taking Tigrinya Music onto Another Level 🔥🔥🔥"

**
REPLY
25. Biniam Abrha, May 2020
"booommmmm 25 million.  the most viewed tigrgina song ever ? I guess it is ."

**
REPLY
26. Youth Revolution, 2020
"Majority of the viewers the 25 million are none Tigringna speaking people coz the song is very beautiful."

**
REPLY
27. Biniam Abrha, 2020
"
@Youth Revolution did I say the viewers are only tigrgina speakers? no ,regardless who are the viewers , it is the most viewed tigrgina song till to date on you tube.

**
REPLY
28. 
bijjare ebba
"Ephrem Amare makes us one nation  by sigle clip as Bob Marley makes world one nation"

**
29. Amid Hashimov
"Nice! Hello to Ethiopians from Azerbaijan. I liked it"

**
REPLY
30. Jamila Jamila
"Thanks bro"

**
REPLY
31. Daniel Yilma, 2020
"We love azeri people much love bro"

**
32. tahiri vision
"Waw waw nice i'am from morocco 😍"

**
33. suhaila bessa
"I'm from Sudan , I'm in love with Ethiopian songs , this one remembers me that days that I've been in Addis ababa❤❤🙏 wonderful people"

**
REPLY
34. Wehazit Kiflay, 2020
"Thanks bro we love you too"

**
35. Simon Freeman
"I am from Sudan and Ethiopia inside my heart"

**
REPLY
36. Joseph Messiah, 2020
"We love you. 🇪🇹❤️🇵🇸"
-snip-
“ET” = Ethiopia’ “PS” =”Palestinian Territory”

**
REPLY
37. Martha Michael, 2020
"Thank you neighbor!"

**
REPLY
38. Ahakim Seman
"Sudan is in our hearts too brother.."

**
39.  Live your Life
"I am from Pakistan . I love Ethiopian music and  people."

**
REPLY
40. Emebet Adane
"Thank you its tigrgna song"

**
41. Yonas Tekeste
"We Eritreans Love you Tigray people, The Origin of Ethiopian civilization and the center of Axumite Empire. selam mmxau des iluna yu. abet zelo hagos, zelo nafkot, zelo ngdi zelo mthwwas, ymelaalna. Ow and I am a big fan of Efrem Amare."

**
REPLY
42. muller nafkot Mulualem
"u too our brothers"

**
43. nassir omer
"እኔ ደሞ ካዛኪስታን... የኢትዮጵያ ሙዚቃና ህዝቡን ውድድ ነው የማድርገው በትለይ እነዛ ትግሬ ቅማላሞች 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣"
-snip-
Google translate from Amharic to English
"I am from Kazakhstan ... Ethiopian music and its people."

**
44. Shaggee Oro
"I am oromo ❤💚❤ I love Tigrigna music  i don't care about politics 😍😍😍👍"

**
REPLY
45. Gelatia Youtube
"Shaggee oromoo we are in entertaining mood don't spoil it 😉we don't care wether you are Amahara, Tigra, Gurage, Somalia Orom music has got no race, clan religion...music brings all people together."


**
REPLY
46. Sarah Adera, 2020
"
That's right my brother. Am a tigrae and I love oromo very much"

**
47. Abebe Tekle
"I am from Nepal. I really love this song and his voice."

**
REPLY
48 ወዲ ዓፈራ
"Kkkkkkk am from india"
-snip-
In some non-English language cultures, "kkk" (and additional "k's) means "laughs", the same as "ha ha ha".

**
49. Lebo Sebatjane
"Am from SA so in love with Ethiopian music and the way they dance lovely"
-snip-
"SA"- the nation of South Africa
**
50. abigail awasso
"I don’t really understand why some comments says I am from here and there we all human just enjoy the beats"

**
REPLY
51. Roman Abate, 2020
"The magic of music is universal."

**
REPLY
52. Azizi Powell, 2020
"abigail awasso, I'm African American.
I agree with the end of your comment. We are all human and should take time to enjoy the music. However, I like reading comments that identify where the person is from and/or his or her ethnic group. That documents the global reach of the singer and the song, and also shows that good music can be universally accepted and enjoyed. I also like comments that explain what the song is about-particularly if those comments are in English (since unfortunately it's the only language I understand).

Sometimes -as is the case with this discussion thread, some comments provide some information about the nation the singer is from. I'm learning more about various Ethiopian ethnic groups and about the Tigrigna language in Ethiopian and in Eritrea from reading these comments (and then looking up additional information online. Although I confess I mostly read comments in English, I sometimes use the Google translate feature to translate a comment in another language , but I don't know how accurate that is.

 I've subscribed to this channel which I happened upon by "surfing" YouTube to find contemporary Ethiopian music.  Thank you Ephrem Amare and thanks to all those associated with this high quality song and video!

Peace & love and  keep on keeping on!

**
53. Abdillah Soimadou
"Oh my god i like Éthiopie music  ( tigre) i l love grils Éthiopie konjo.  I am frome comores i living European 😚😚😚😍😍😍💪💪💪💪💿🎤🎤"

**
54. Impress
"this song just sends a joy shiver into my spine🔥..more love from Kenya👊"

**
55. Omarion XB
"from somalia and i one thing i aggre tigrigna music is best music of all time  even if u dont understand it makes you to dance  respect to all my ethiopian  brothers nd sisters"

**
56. Sabadin Abire
"I am Ethiopia from Scotland love this song 🙌🙌"

**
57. Musty Mo
"A love Ethiopin people mo from Sudan 🇸🇩 one love 🇪🇹🇯🇲🇸🇩"
-snip-
"ET"= "Ethiopia"; "JM"= "Jamaica"; "SD" = "Sudan"

**
REPLY 
58. Haftamu Addisu
"Musty Mo jah man one love ❤🙏"

**
REPLY
59. Mawlid Rashid
"Musty Mo oh yeah we are east Africa one love"

**
60. PRETTY XALIMO
"Love from  Somalia. Ephrem  is DOPE"

**
REPLY 
61. Zufan Haile
"😘😘😘😘😘"

**
62. Ibra Isshag
"i miss this song from chad God bless you all Africa n people"

**
REPLY 
63. ጋልዞም ተጋሩ
"thanx you may brather l love you all African"

 **
64. Nadia Tsegga
"I love this song I'm eritrean born in U.S. and I cant stop listening to this song! Amazing I need to hear more!"
****
2020

65. kndalem gubena
"I am from canada
Please tell me what does it mean  "sey" "
-snip-
No one answered this request yet. If you know what "'sey" means, please share that information on that discussion thread and/or in the comment section below for this post. Thanks!

**
66. gambo zubiii
"Am a Nigerian but I so much love Ethiopian music. Their songs so full of love and a sense of unity through their dancing steps."

**
67. Anwar Mohamed
"I'm from south africa i love Ethiopian music so much 🎶🎧"

**
68. Omar Al
"I love ethiopian people from Guînes🇬🇳"

**
REPLY
69. ኄኖክ ኃይሉ
"bless u bro one love"

**
70. Abdullahi Salad
"I am from🇸🇴🇸🇴🇸🇴 somalia we love Ethiopia song"

**
REPLY
71. Maya Johnson
"Abdullahi Salad I love Somali songs too❤️🇪🇹"

 **

72. Hasna Mahamoud
"Love u all from Djibouti"

**
73. Abdallah Hissen
"I love ❤️ Ethiopiane people from chad 🇹🇩"

** 
74. Cal Irons
"I'm an american white boy, I can't stop listening to this beautiful music. Blessings to all you beautiful ethiopian people"

**
REPLY
75. 메디Maddie
"Lol...your comment made me laugh.
Don't just stop at listening go ahead and Learn our dance!"

**
REPLY
76. Annabell A
"Cal Irons this is Eritrean music ! Not Ethiopian similar but not the same language"

**
REPLY
77. 메디Maddie
"@Annabell A  lol no check your resources. The singer is Ethiopian from Tigray region you might have thought it is Eritrean because he is Singing in Tigrinya which is the official language in Eritrea.  Tigray region and speak Tigrinya like people in Eritrea.  In the end Eritrea was a part of Ethiopia. We share alot in common besides just borders"

**
REPLY
78. JOUHAR ABDULJELIL
"@Annabell A  Tigrinya Music from  Tigray Ethiopia"

**
REPLY
79. Roman Abate
"@Nigist Tegenu💃💃💃😘😘😘 who cares for meanings ? That is the magic of Music which makes it universal 😘😘😘💃💃💃💃💃"

**
REPLY
80. Del You
"메디Maddie I’m Chadian but I know Ethiopia and Eritrea same."

**
81. Anusha uthappa
"The most beautiful song!! I don’t understand Tigrinya but I enjoy the music😍 love Ethiopia and Eritrea❤️❤️❤️ from India 🇮🇳"

**
REPLY
82. ዮሴፍ አረጋ ካ ሆሳና
"We love you  to ❤"

**
REPLY
83. henos lakew
"we love indian music too"

**
84. Ros T
"I’m Angolan and I love Ethiopia music even if I don’t understand what they are saying 🤩I just love it 😍"

**
85. Susan Michelle
"Much love ❤️ from Cameroon 🇨🇲"

**
86. Kiyana Latoya Persaud
"I am jamaican but im in loveeee with this"

**
87. Cabdi Bookh
"Im somali but Eritrean music or tigraya music is one of the best music and i enjoy listening it."

**
88. fatii from kanada
"I am from Egypt ilove you Ethiopia people and music Love you Ethiopia 😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘"

**
89. Debajit dutta sharma
"Love from India ♥"

**
90. Babba seckou Bolly
"I love ethiopian people from Mali 🇲🇱"

**
91. Anouar Dn
"Kind of sounds like amazigh music🇲🇦"
-snip-
“MA” = "Mauritius"

**
92. Tamer hosny Deha
"I am from Djibouti i love this singer tigre Nice"

**
93. Funny Boy
"I love habesha songs...from somali"
-snip-
Read the excerpts in the comment section below about the different meanings that have been given to the referent "Habesha".

**
94. hararge men
"I love this song from oromia region"

**
95. Asmare Desta
"I am from Ethiopia but I don’t understand the language but it’s nice music"

**
96. Madda Walaabu
"I'm from Oromo Country  it's lovely Song I like it
But I'm not understand what he's saying"

**
REPLY
97. Youth Revolution
"Unity = Strength  But division = weakness.     BTW the guy is singing about being in love with her and that he is grateful. :D"

**
98. Barou Sacko
"I am from Mali Best song 🙏"

**
99. Rozel Networth
"Here rockin Ethiopian music like i understand a thing much love from UGANDA 🇺🇬🇺🇬"

**
100. B. K, 

This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Here's some information about the meaning of the referent "Habesha" that is included in one of the comments in this compilation and is also found in a number of other comments in that discussion thread that I didn't include in this compilation:

    From https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=habesha

    "Habesha
    Habesha is a term Ethiopians and Eritreans use to refer to themselves. Habesha is a term of pride and used to eliminate the distinction between different tribes and celebrate unity as people of the same region.

    For example: You ask "Are you habesha?" instead of "Are you Ethiopian/Eritrea?"

    Haben, August 4, 2004
    -snip-

    This definition is different than the historical meaning of the referent "Habesha" as indicated in this Wikipedia page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habesha_peoples
    "Historically, the term "Habesha" represented northern Ethiopian Highlands Orthodox Christians, while the Oromos and "Shanqella" ethnic groups, as well as Muslims, were considered outside the periphery.[26][27][28][29] Predominately Muslim ethnic groups in the Eritrean Highlands such as the Tigre have historically opposed the name Habesha; Muslim Tigrinya-speakers are usually referred to as Jeberti people."...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's another excerpt from that Wikipedia page:
      "Within Ethiopian and Eritrean diasporic populations in North America, some second generation immigrants have adopted the term "Habesha" in a broader sense as a supra-national ethnic identifier inclusive of all Eritreans and Ethiopians. For those who employ the term, it serves as a useful counter to more exclusionary identities. However, this usage is not uncontested: On the one hand, those who grew up in Ethiopia or Eritrea may object to the obscuring of national specificity.[31]:186–188 On the other hand, groups that were subjugated in Ethiopia or Eritrea sometimes find the term offensive.[32]"...

      Delete