Translate

Friday, April 17, 2020

L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls - "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" YouTube Music Video & Lyrics

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series on the 2020 song "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" which is performed by an unnamed female singers, in large part, to promote the L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls brand of toys.

Part I presents some information about L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls brand. Part I also showcases the 2020 official YouTube video of the song "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" and presents the lyrics for that song.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/04/what-being-extra-means-in-song-extra.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II showcases the official YouTube video of "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" and presents my unofficial description of that video. Part II presents some information and comments about the negative and positive vernacular meanings of the word "extra". In addition, Part II presents my opinion about how the "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" song and video appears to have been influenced by some aspects of African American culture.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composer/s of this song and its unnamed singers. Thanks also to all those who were associated with this embedded video and thanks to the publisher of that official YouTube video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of the lyric video whose link is given in the song lyrics section.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls
Excerpt #1:
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGA_Entertainment [retrieved April 17, 2020]
"MGA Entertainment Inc. (short for Micro-Games America Entertainment) is a manufacturer of children's toys and entertainment products founded in 1979. Its products include the Bratz fashion doll line, Baby Born, L.O.L. Surprise!, Num Noms and Poopsie Slime Surprise. MGA also owns Little Tikes. MGA is headquartered in a mixed use corporate campus in the Chatsworth area of Los Angeles.[2][3][4]

[...]

L.O.L. Surprise!
The toymaker launched the unboxing toy line L.O.L. Surprise! in December 2016. The L.O.L. Surprise doll assortment was the #1 toy for 2017 through November in the US, according to The NPD Group.[8] MGA Entertainment plans to double the sales of L.O.L. Surprise toys in 2018. … The L.O.L. Amazing Surprise Playset was a Top 100 toy on Amazon in November of 2019, according to Shareably.[9]

In this instance, L.O.L. stands for “Lil Outrageous Littles”

The coronavirus outbreak in early 2020, disrupted production of LOL and is threatening supply for the 2020 holidays.[10]”...

****
Excerpt #2
From https://lolsdolls.com/en/lol-surprise-omg-dolls/ L.O.L SURPRISE! NEW, L.O.L. SURPRISE!L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. dolls
"New fashion dolls LOL Surprise! OMG revolutionised dolls world in summer 2019. These awesome dolls by MGA Entertainment became the most desirable dolls.

The first LOL Surprise series dolls were the prototype for OMG dolls. By the way, OMG here stands for Outrageous Millennial Girls.

There are 4 must have dolls in Series 1 of LOL Surprise! OMG: Neonlicious, Lady Diva, Swag and Royal Bee.
[...]

These are the main features of LOL Surprise OMG fashion dolls:

Each fashion doll comes in a fancy box that becomes a reusable dressing room play space. It even has a mirror inside!

A LOL Surprise OMG doll is 28cm tall, almost as tall as Barbie doll. But no doubt, these dolls are way more fashionable than Barbie dolls. Even their body type is more real. LOL Surprise OMG doll has a curvy body, nice hips, gorgeous waist line and beautiful full lips.
LOL OMG dolls are simply gorgeous with their colorful makeup, cute face, fashionable bright hairstyle and amazing hair.

Stylish and fashionable clothes and shoes. LOL OMG dolls also have great fashion accessories including trendy glasses, necklace, earrings, hats and even handbags!

Every LOL Surprise OMG doll also has an amazing manicure!

No doubt, all the girls want to play with these dolls and look like a LOL Surprise OMG doll
These are perfect dolls to collect. Each LOL OMG doll is an older sister of the previously released LOL Surprise dolls.”...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls | NEW Extra (Like O.M.G.) Official Music Video



L.O.L. Surprise!, Apr 9, 2020
-snip-
total # of views 1,464,196 as of April 17, 2020 at 12:31 AM EDT
Total # of likes- 19K
total # of dislikes-3.4K
comments are turned off
-snip-
My general description of this video is included in Part II of this pancocojams series.

****
LYRICS- Extra (Like O.M.G.)*
(No singer/s or composers are credited for this song. Instead, this song is attributed to L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls.)

Aahhh aAhhhh

Ow!

I’m pullin up in a coupe
24 karat my hoops pulling
I slay
edges are laid
everybody in my coupe

I did not come here
to play (no)
pullin it everyday (oh)
nothing is cheap
head to my feet
I don’t know what I can say

I’m Extra, very Extra
I feel better
You can’t measure
For the record
I feel reckless
I’m Extra
I need Extra

Extra hot on my heels
Extra verdict mass appeal
Extra rollin when I walk
Extra sauce, Extra sauce
Extra Extra with the swag
I’m gonna brag
I’m just Extra ordinary
Ain’t nothin wrong with that

Extra, Extra (like O.M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me
Saying
Extra, Extra (like O. M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me

Extra, Extra (like O.M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me
Saying
Extra, Extra (like O. M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me

Everywhere that I go (go)
I’m gonna put on a show (yeah)
Fashion is life
when I arrive
They lookin at me like wow (wow)
Here for the ahh’s and the ooh’s
Please do not step on my shoes
Haters gonna hate
But it’s too late
I’m getting great reviews.

I’m Extra, very Extra
I feel better
You can’t measure
For the record
I feel reckless
I’m Extra
I need Extra

Extra hot on my heels
Extra verdict mass appeal
Extra rollin when I walk
Extra sauce, Extra sauce
Extra Extra with the swag
I’m gonna brag
I’m just Extra ordinary
Ain’t nothin wrong with that
Extra Extra with the swag
I’m gonna brag
I’m just Extra ordinary
Ain’t nothin wrong with that

Extra, Extra (like O.M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me
Saying
Extra, Extra (like O. M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me

E. X. T. R. A. Everyday
I mean
E. X. T. R. A.
Yeah, I slay
(Yeah, she slay)
E. X. T. R. A.
By the way
O.M.G.
I’m E. X. T.R. A!

Extra, Extra (like O.M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me
Saying
Extra, Extra (like O. M.G.)
I love when everyone’s looking at me
-snip-
This unofficial transcription is largely based on the captions that are found in this YouTube lyric video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2e1_mK8k8 Lol surprise O.M.G| Extra (like O.M.G) | Lyric video|, published by Tozhei Amen-Ra, april 11, 2020.

I corrected a few words in that the captions for that lyric video. Since American American Vernacular English is the source of almost all of the vernacular terms that are found in this song, most of my corrections are based on my familiarity with African American Vernacular English. The other correction is based on my knowledge of American language and idioms.

I substituted what I believe are corrections to the following words that were found in that video's captions:

"24 Karat" is given as "24 carrots".

"nothing is cheap" is given as "nothing is cheep"

"Extra ordinary" is given as "extra ordinarily"

"arrive" is given as “gon rob” [in the lyrics "Fashion is life/when I arrive"]
-snip-
Here are additional pancocojams Editorial notes about the song "Extra (Like O.M.G.)":
What the word "extra" means in that song:
I believe that the word "extra" in this song is a clip of the word "extraordinary". In the context of this song, "extra" is considered to be something good that is beyond the ordinary.

The song title "Extra (Like O.M.G.) combines the African American originated vernacular meaning of the word "extra" with the "Valley Girl" associated phrase "like O.M.G."

Here's a quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valleyspeak
"Like" as a discourse marker. "Like" is used as a filler word, similar to "um" or "er"...When "like" is functioning as a discourse marker, the word itself does not semantically change the phrase or sentence...adding no additional meaning to the sentence"...

**
What O. M. G. means in that song:
"O.M.G." is widely known to most people who use the internet and phone text as the abbreviation "Oh My God". I believe that that meaning is implied and expected in that song. However the L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Dolls brand of toys has attributed different meanings to both L.O.L and "O. M. G." Those meanings are given in the Information section above.
-snip-
Additional comments about the word extra and the use of "Like O.M.G." in this song's title are given in Part II of this pancocojams post.

**
"pulling up in my coupe" means "stopping my car" or "parking my car".

**
In the lyrics video for "Extra (like O. M. G."), "yo slay" is given in the first verse instead of "I slay". "The word "yo" may be what is sung, but that use of "yo" isn't authentic (i.e. It's not how African American use the word "yo".] In that line of the song "Extra (Like O.M.G.)", "yo slay" is probably supposed to mean "I slay" -i.e. something like "I'm killing it" -with "it" being the fashion scene.. Indeed, the lyrics "I slay" definitely fit the song's message and are found later on in that song.

I don't think that "you" is a correct transcription for the word "yo" because singing "you slay" would be quite the opposite of what the song "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" is about.

**

The lyric video gives "edges are laid" as "edges is laid". In the context of hair, the word "edges" is always a plural. No one says "My [or "your"] edge" and I've never heard or read of anyone saying "Edges is laid".

**
The word, "gonna" [as in "I'm gonna brag"] was given in the captions as "gon". That might be what was sung. However, the word "gonna" is more authentic and is a better fit for these songs.

**
The word "say" is used in that caption as well as the word "saying" (as in "saying Extra Extra (Like O. M. G.). I believe the word "saying" is more authentic than the word "say" in the context of this song.

**
The word "haters" was spelled "hatters" in that caption.

Additions and corrections to these lyrics are welcome.

****
ADDENDUM- WHAT THE PHRASE "EDGES ARE LAID" MEANS IN THE "EXTRA (LIKE O. M. G.)" SONG
Here's a quote from an article about "edges" from https://www.shondaland.com/live/beauty/a20079041/snatched-edges-natural-hair-hollywood/: "Edges, a term born in the black community, are the baby-hairs that grow on the perimeter of one’s forehead. Slayed edges are like a soft-kiss from God, and styling them is truly an art form."...

In that article "black community" means "African American communities", although females in many other Black communities know about styling "edges"/"baby hairs".

Here's a definition of "edges laid" from https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Edges%20laid
"Edges laid
When the "baby hairs" or "edges of your hair are looking sleek and bomb

Can be used for all races, but is particularly used between black women
"Dang Alisha, your edges laid girl."...
by Angless March 24, 2017
-snip-
In the context of that urbandictionary.com quote and in the context of the "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" song, "edges laid" is a compliment that means those edges are looking good. "Laid" also has a double meaning in the context of edges/baby hair because the goal is to have those hairs remain laying down on one's forehead and near one's ears.

Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRzKle0BLuw&t=517sfor a YouTube tutorial video entitled "Edges/Baby Hair Tutorial UPDATE
by MakeupTiffanyJ, Oct 19, 2018

**
That urbandictionary.com entry given above also refers to "edges snatched". The meaning of that phrase is very close to the meaning of having one's "wig snatched". Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/06/examples-of-comments-from-youtube.html for the 2019 pancocojams post "Examples Of Comments From The YouTube Discussion Thread Of Todrick Hall's Video "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" That Refer To Wigs Being Snatched"

This urbandictionary.com definition of "wig snatched" is given in that post:
From https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wig%20Snatching
"Wig Snatching
A term used mainly by gay men and women to express extreme happiness or excitement when their diva has done something amazing, shocking, or gives life by any means."...

This comment from Todrick Hall's "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" video's discussion thread mentions "edges being snatched":
themadusacascadeguy
"Breaking news:
Reports of wigs and edges launching into the atmosphere all around the world has suddenly escalated at an alarming rate. We'll keep you updayed"
-snip-
"updayed" is a typo for "updated".

I believe it's accurate to attribute the coinage and use of "wigs snatched" to drag queens who couldn't/can't perform in drag without their wigs. This comment and other comments from that video's discussion thread implies that Todrick Hall's "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" song and video were so good that he snatched other people's wigs and edges while singing/performing it.

****
This concludes Part I of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a comment exchange from the discussion thread for the lyric video for "Extra ("Like O.M.G.") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2e1_mK8k8
    Jeanette DiNome, 2020
    "I love this song but can someone please tell me who sings this song cause I can't find who sings this song love the video and love lol omg doll they are the fashionable dolls ever love the dolls

    **
    REPLY
    Tozhei Amen-Ra, 2020
    "Ikr, I couldn't find the singer either. I think MGA Entertainment does this a lot when they release songs for their dolls"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that the song "Extra (Like O.M.G.)" is a bop (a hit song). I don't know if MGA Entertainment has featured or has plans to is or plans to feature that song on ITunes or if it is part of music radio circulation. Also, if that company doesn't plan to reveal the name of the singer/s who performed this song, how can it be featured in concerts?

      Delete
  2. I have my 6 year old granddaughter Jaiya to thank for letting me know about the song "Extra (Like O.M. G.). She told me that she saw it on a commercial when she was watching something on YouTube Kids. The Easter Bunny gave her an L.O.L. doll for Easter and she LOVES it (much more than the Cabbage Patch doll that the Easter Bunny also gave her this Easter.) Jaiya informed me that "L.O.L. dolls are little sisters to O.M.G. dolls".

    ReplyDelete