Translate

Friday, October 25, 2019

Comments About How Brenda Fassie's Song Vulindlela Has Been Widely Known & Loved Throughout Africa For Decades

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series that showcases the song "Vulindlela" by South African singer Brenda Fassie.

Part II presents selected comments from this video's discussion thread. Most of these comments document how Brenda Fassie's now classic song Vulindlela has been widely known and loved throughout Africa & elsewhere for decades.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/10/south-african-vocalist-brenda-fassie.html for Part I of this series provides information about Brenda Fassie and also presents a YouTube video of this song as well as Vulindlela's Zulu lyrics and their English translation are also included in this post.

****
The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Brenda Fassie for her musical legacy. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.
-snip-
This is an expansion of this 2013 pancocojams post: http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/01/south-african-vocalist-brenda-faisse.html. That post includes 12 comments as of the publication date of this 2019 post.

SHOWCASE SOUND FILE - VULINDLELA-BRENDA FASSIE



SPHERNO, Uploaded on Jul 1, 2011

R.I.P BRENDA FASIE,AFRICA WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU.
-snip-
Statistics as of October 25, 2019
Total # of views - 15,705,060
Total # of likes - 67K
Total # of dislikes - 3.9K
Total # of comments- 6,334
Here are selected comments from this sound file's discussion thread with numbers assigned for referencing purposes only. (Note: I didn't read all of these comments, but I read LOTS of them.)






2016
1. tristan breet
"as a white South African ..i thought she was a power house amazing singer ..dont understand a word she is singing but i loved this song..just nice beat and sexy..RIP"

**
REPLY
2. Richardson Mzaidume
"Tristan, I thought white South Africans were not aware of great black musicians like MaBrr until Highveld Stereo in Joburg interrupted their regular programme and played Weekend Special when news broke out that she had passed away. Jeremy Mansfield and Samantha Cowan sounded very hurt. I changed my perception that day."

**
REPLY
3. Jonathan Phipson
"+Richardson Mzaidume Haha! You would be genuinely surprised at how many white South Africans (myself included) enjoy listening to black South African artists. That's the beauty of music. Anyone can listen to ANYthing. If it sounds good, you will listen to it :)"

****
2017
4. Mohammed Jalloh
"This used to play at every sierra leonean party when I was a kid!"

**
REPLY
5. Leo Johnson
"Liberian parties too"

**
REPLY
6. Mohammed Jalloh
"Lol similiar cultures so probaby"

**
REPLY
7. Nitro Gabanakgotla
"botswana parties too"

**
REPLY
8. Ibrahim Kai Dumbuya
"Another Sierra Leonean here to confirm"

**
REPLY
9. Debbie Caulker
"so true, by then it was the best hit in Sierra Leone. was so much in love with it, I used to win a dancing competition with it."

**
REPLY
10. Musa Jalloh
"Another Sierra Leonean here to confirm ✅πŸ’―"

**
REPLY
11. Johnoè
"I remember hearing this At Zimbabwean parties all the time"

**
REPLY
12. Remedyfon Fon
"Cameroon party too"

**
13. Angelic Sarele
"When I graduated from nursery school, 1999 Dec wen my mom was still alive we danced for this song. .when I get married I want it to be played this song though"

**
14. Zulu Janet
"who is still listening to this song since 1998. I remember l won a talent show at school in 1999 when I was in grade 4 hahahahahaha"

**
15. P john
"This was a hit all over Africa. Even tho we understand the words we still sang to it. RIP"

**
REPLY
16. thegigadykid1
"P john dont understand *"

**
17. Alain Lever Williams
"I don't understand anything at all, but I really love this song. Indeed, I love all African rhythms, they makes feel very proud of my African roots. Greetings from Colombia πŸ‡¨πŸ‡΄"

**
REPLY
18. Charles Kyambadde, 2018
"Bless you,I love Colombia.This song is about a proud mom happy that her son is getting married and no one is gonna stop him,and who had said that my son would never get a keeper and im so happy that I'm gonna have grand kids...And Vulindella means clear the way. Hope i helped.πŸ€”"

**
19. xo MiLLiANA
"I am a Marshallese πŸ‡²πŸ‡­ & I felt in love with this song when I was only 8 years old."

**
20. emmanuel joel
"This song forms part of our story as African children growing in Nigeria back in the day. I used to think she was Nigeria until my teenhood."

**
REPLY
21. Abulay Barrow
"emmanuel joel same to me I use to think this was a Gambian song. I think this song depicts Africa at large, cuz the whole continent was vibing with it. I LOVE IT"

**
REPLY
22. Ben Ngumi
"haha.. all african i tell you. used to think she was kenyan..."

**
REPLY
23. FRE ALVA STILL GINA
"emmanuel joel lmaoo. I used to thing she was Congolese"

**
REPLY
24. emmanuel joel
"Smiles. But why was it so to us all? I think it was the true Africanism that was at the core of the video and the song. Just like the book, "things fall apart"."

**
REPLY
25. Claude Guechussi
"Nija Gina RamΓ­rez DeOuen nope she was South African"

**
REPLY
26. Joie Love
"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I used to think it was a Liberian song! Lol
We used to be at the party dancing singing along with our made up words. Lol"

**
REPLY
27. Nancy Keisher
"I thought it was a Tanzanian song. still love It, it used to be the entrance song at every wedding party."

**
REPLY
28. Dylane Chedjou, 2018
"I thought dhe was Cameroonians..my Sisters always sang and danced this song"

**
29. Emile Riderman
"The whole east Africa played this song in the 2000s for sure"

**
REPLY
30. Dareminder Blackseed, 2018
"I can testify this on behalf of Kenya..."

**
REPLY
31. Kevin A, 2018
"Also the West, the North, the South, Central, and all corners."

**
32. Mimsxo
"Who remembers this song being played in Nigeria when you were little πŸ˜‚❤️ I don't even know the words she's saying. God bless Africa🌍❤️"

**
REPLY
33. Michelle Eke
"True!. I remember dancing to this in Primary 2 and i had no idea who or what she was saying. 11 years on I just had to find this song because it brought back such fun memories. Just shows you how far good music can go"

**
REPLY
34. Shara Dailey, 2018
"Mimsxo it wasn't my language but I used to listen this a lot when I was a kid with friends and dances to it, in Africa. I love this song.😍"

**
REPLY
35. Amanda Nkansah, 2018
"In Ghana too 😍"

**
REPLY
36. aklesia berhanu, 2018
"In Ethiopia too! I grew up listening to this ❤️"

**
REPLY
37. Shaggy, 2018
"Zimbabwe too"

**
REPLY
38. Ahmadou Barry, 2018
"Mimsxo in Guinea too"

**
REPLY
39. Ivy Werimba, 2018
"Kenya too"

**
REPLY
40. TCRGaming,2018
"namibia too"

**
REPLY
41. saker manu, 2018
"everywhere my dear even Cameroon, i cant forget it😍"

**
REPLY
42. matenind, 2018
"Mimsxo it jammed everywhere in the Ivory coast and I new all the lyrics even though i didnt understand it"

**
REPLY
43. Amarula, 2018
"Mimsxo lol I remember playing this in Liberia when I was little, didn't even know what she's saying πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
44. K B, 2018
"It was played every Saturday night on music choice show in Ethiopia too sister"

**
REPLY
45. Tim Ray, 2018
"Mimsxo this song was all over Africa back then"

**
REPLY
46. Maleeha Barrie, 2018
"Mimsxo I'm Sierra Leonean and they played this song sooo many at the parties! They still play it nowπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡±"

**
REPLY
47. This Life, 2018
"Lol. I love this song. At a family gathering, everyone flies to the dance floor for this song"

**
REPLY
48. Sonja Martens, 2018
"Germany too! :-))))"

**
49.Onize Ajayi
"we sang it at primary school grad. I don't think even our teacher knew what she asked us to sing"

**
REPLY
50. Ngoako Sehata
"Hi @Onize Ajayi, from which side of the world? "I don't think even our teacher knew what she asked us to sing" Lol, i don't think so too because i am a south african speaking a different language and i just learned the lyrics of the song recently after knowing the language."

**
REPLY
51. Onize Ajayi
"+Ngoako Sehata Nigeria"

**
REPLY
52. Ngoako Sehata
"Alright my sister, The song is basically about a happy mother, his son is getting married, she asks those who are jealousy to open the way for his son. The mother was not expecting to have daughter-in law because the gossipers were convincing her that his son will never get married. Vula= open, Ndlela=way/path, Vulidlela=open the way/path. Mam'gobhozi =Gossipers, Makoti=daughter-in law, Yekela uMona=stop jealousy. uMona=Jealousy. I tried my best, you will correct your former teacher :) :)"

****
2018
53. Gracia mbihah
"I am from Tanzania and i remember this song from my childhood,Talk about a starπŸ‘"

**
54. Gitau Charles
"We can make this song national Anthem of Africa ,,I remember when I was young ,, every day on K.B.C radio station in Kenya πŸ‡°πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡°πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡°πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡°πŸ‡ͺ..."

**
REPLY
55. Tony Mike, 2019
"U sure know what to say I born in Ethiopia grew up in Kenya now live live in New York City I sure do remember this song every day on k.b.c love Kenya and their beautiful welcoming people I went to ealsligh airport elementary school big up to everyone that went there"

**
REPLY
56. Leah Kamere
"Kenya has to make the cut too. Loved it then love it now in 2018"

**
57. Latonya Elia
"I’m American but My husband was from Tanzania πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ώ and when they played this at the African parties this would get me off my seat!!!!! R.I.P. Brenda"

**
REPLY
58. Moi S
"If you go to a African party and no Brenda it ain't no party."

**
REPLY
59. JAG
"@Moi S Ohh so it is an African thing, I'm Zimbabwean and as a child every family event, party, wedding etc they'll be Brenda without failπŸ˜‚"

**
60. bodli bodli
"Steel watching end 2018 from cameroon πŸ‡¨πŸ‡² i was Steel a baby when this song came out. But i remember my Mother used to put this song for me when i cry may my mom's soul rip Brenda's soul too.πŸ‡¨πŸ‡²πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦"

****
2019
61. Oliver Wonder
"I'm from Angola ... this song was released the same year I was born, but during my childhood I listened a lot and the video clip is constantly on the Public Television of Angola (TPA). I missed her today and decided to listen to her again. Rest In Peace Brenda Fassie! Eternally in our memories and in our hearts! Your songs are immortal."

**
62. Vic7@coc
"Is there anyone who can translate the lyrics into english?"

**
REPLY
63. Feivor Emus
"Pave the way miss gossip
My baby boy is getting married
Pave the way please
My boy is getting married
People say my boy doesn't woo women
But this time woman says yes
Join me in the ceremony you are invited.

I'm a Nigerian my little knowledge about the song. (It's a wedding song tho.)"

**
64. Sina Vereivalu
"All time favorite Fiji Islands...."

**
65. seyram kulewosi
"This is top 10 most popular African songs of all time...😊✊πŸΏπŸ’―πŸ”₯"

**
66. Madame Madame
"Cameroonian , I love this music. Stop Xenophobia my SouthAfricans brothers please"

**
67. Biruk Tesfaye
"It reminds me my childhood, we grow up listening this song am Ethiopian may God bless our beautiful land
Africa"

**
68. Julie Julia
"Timeless!! Choreography song for every basic school in πŸ‡¬πŸ‡­ Instrumental @ 00:19 gives me goosebumps EVERY TIMEEEE!!!!❤❤❤"
-snip-
"GH" = Ghana

**
69. Bamlak Tesfaye
"We grew up with this in Ethiopia! ETV would play the video with Madiba dancing to this alllll the time! Absolutely amazing! One Love!"
-snip-
"Madiba" is a referent for Nelson Mandela.
From https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/nelson-mandela/10501587/Nelson-Mandela-Madiba-Tata-whats-in-a-name.html#targetText=Madiba%20was%20the%20name%20of,Africans%20regardless%20of%20their%20age.
"Madiba - the name of the clan of which Mandela is a member. A clan name is much more important than a surname as it refers to the ancestor from which a person is descended. Madiba was the name of a Thembu chief who ruled in the Transkei in the 18th century. It is considered very polite to use someone’s clan name."...

**
70. Lemtip Izzy
"May- 25- 2019.. this has been African anthem 4eva .. period... rip brenda fassie"

**
71. Andrea Audrey KouamΓ©
"Je suis ivoirienne et j'adore cette musique là 😍😍😍😍"

**
72. mejury shiri
"Back then in Zimbabwe when weddings were not by invitationπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. The song takes me to those days when rice and chicken used to taste nice. We danced to this song on almost every wedding. 🀣🀣"

**
73. Lirio Pinto
"I speak Portuguese I don't understand one word. but I'm listening to this song since I'm 5 my mother is African so I heard this always I love it I feel like I understand every word with my heart rip brenda Africa forever"

**
74. Lwando Giyose
"Ever since this song came out. It has been played at every wedding I've been to. Nearly two decades, but still a wedding anthem. R.I.P to my homegirl."

**
75. Smithieboy10
"You not African if you don't know this song, I will jol to this song til I'm old and grey... RIP Brenda"

**
76. Crystal Eira
"We still listen to this in the Pacific πŸ”₯ Been listening to it since I was a child as my parents were big fans and I'm sure my kids are gonna listen to it too !"

**
77. Ami Lavore
"Today’s kids won’t understand how this song made parties lit back then"

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks visiting pancocojams.

Viewer comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. As an African American woman who grew up when Tarzan movies were popular in the United States and negative stereotypes about Africans were widespread, it occurs to me that among the many misconceptions that I had about Africa was the belief that people in various African nations-especially people in different African regions, didn't have any knowledge about recorded music except that which was produced in their own nation or maybe also in a nation very near them.

    I know it sounds ridiculous since there are all sorts of ways that culture was and is still shared across national and regional boundaries- especially the fake boundaries that were artificially drawn separating various African ethnic groups... But reading these YouTube video discussion threads such as the one that I've excerpted in this pancocojams post, helps me to realize how ignorant about the rest of the word I-and many other people from the United States (especially people of my generation growing up in the 1950s) were -and to a large extent- still are.

    Thanks to YouTube for providing a vehicle for sharing African and other music that people in the United States are unlikely to know. And thanks to all those Africans (and other people) who comment on those YouTube discussion threads for sharing your memories about your childhoods and your perceptions about how it really was (and is) to live in your communities.

    ReplyDelete