Translate

Saturday, January 19, 2019

A Small List Of Verses From Stand Alone Rhymes That Are Found In "Miss Sue From Alabama" Rhymes

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision- April 10, 2023

This is Part I of a two part* pancocojams series on "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes.

This post presents a small list of verses or lines from stand alone rhymes that are found in "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes.

Most of these examples of "Miss Sue From Alabama" are from online sources.

These examples reflect the textual diversity that appears to be a dominate feature of "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes. 

By "textual diversity" [of a rhyme] I mean the large number of different versions" of a particular rhyme. 

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-textual-word-diversity-of-miss-sue_90.html for Part II of this series. Part II presents a partial lists of versions of the line "wipe those cooties off of me" and the "take a smooth shot" lines that are found in some examples of "Miss Sue From Alabama" children's rhyme.

The content of this page is presented for folkloric and recreational purposes.

Thanks to all who contributed examples of this rhyme that are included in this post. Thanks also to all who are quoted in this post. 

Special thanks to burgundyblake who shared an example of a "Mazoo From Alabama" rhyme with pancocojams on January 17, 2019. That example prompted me to continue my research on this rhyme family.
-snip-
*This originally was a three part series. However, it appears that I inadvertently deleted the original Part I of that series. According to the original Part II and Part III descriptions, in that post I compared three different 1960s versions of "Miss Sue From Alabama." rhymes.  

****
EXAMPLES OF STAND ALONE RHYMES IN "MISS SUE FROM ALABAMA"
Pancocojams Editor's Note
This post presents one example or two examples each of a stand alone rhyme that is found in some examples of "Miss Sue From Alabama" children's rhymes. These examples are from the United States and from other English speaking nations (Australia, United Kingdom) etc.
Unfortunately, as is the case with almost all online examples of children's rhymes, only one of these examples includes geographical location and none of these examples include performance year/s or decade/s.

These sub-categories are given in no particular order and aren't a comprehensive listing of those types of verses/lines that are found in "Miss Sue From Alabama" rhymes.

Examples are numbered for referencing purposes only. The stand alone verses are given in italics. There may be more than one stand alone verse in each of these selected examples of "Miss Sue From Alabama, but I've only highlighted one stand alone rhyme for each example.

EXAMPLE #1: [stand alone verse: "Sittin In A Rocker/Eatin Betty Crocker"]
"one goes back and forth between the people playing the game; I'll just use my name (Monica)

(both)Miss Sue, Miss Sue
Miss Sue from Alabama
Her real name is Susannah
(Boom chicka boom chicka boomboomboom)
Mommy's got the measles, Daddy's got the flu
I ain't lyin', nor are you.
(other person) Hey Monica!
(me) Who's callin' my name?
(other person) Hey Monica!
(me) Stop playin' my game!
(other person) Someone's on the telephone!
(me) If it ain't my baby tell 'em I ain't home!
(both) Sittin' in her rocker, eatin' peanut butter
Watchin' the clock go
Boom ticky wah wah boom tick tock
Boom ticky wah wah clock says stop!

-getoffmyskittle; http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38901&page=4 "Does anyone remember this?? (goofy kid-rhymes)" February 6th, 2006

***
EXAMPLE #2 [stand alone verse: "Telephone"]
"My sister and her friends used to say:
Miss Sue
Miss Sue
Miss Sue from Alabama
Let's make a movie
You got the ABCDEFG
You got the HIJKLMNOP
You got the smooth legs
You got the smooth legs
You got the bald head
You got the bald head
Hey (friend's name), somebody called your name
Hey (another friend's name), somebody wants you on the telephone
It ain't my momma
, sittin at the table
Peeling the potatoes
Tick tock boom boom
Tick tock boom boom
BOOM!
-Andey McFarlin, 2018; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-svfUMX3BM
-snip-
This example of "Miss Sue From Alabama" includes some words from the "Telephone". Three foot stomping cheers that include versions of these words are found in this pancocojams post http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/09/foot-stomping-cheers-alphabetical-list_22.html

****
EXAMPLE #3 [stand alone verse: "I Love Karate"]
1.
"back in my day it went a little something like this:

Miss Sue (clap clap clap)
Miss Sue (clap clap clap)
Miss Sue from Alabama, her real name's Suzianna
she's sittin in a rocker, eatin Betty Crocker
watch the clock go tick tock tock tock, banana rock
tick tock tick tock banana rock
ABCD123
wash those spiders off of me
mooshka, mooshka, i see mommy
mooshka, mooshka, i know karate
mooshka, mooshka, oops i'm sorry
mooshka, mooshka, FREEZE."

-RespectMyThickness, 2015; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-svfUMX3BM

**
2.
===Ms. Sue=== (alternate on LI [long Island], New York)
"Ms. Sue (2 claps) Ms Sue (2 claps)
Ms. Sue from Alabama, her real name's Suzy Anna
Sitting on a rocker, chewing on her underwear, wish she had another pair
Watching the clocker going
Tick Tock Tick Tock, banana rock
Tick Tock Tick Tock, banana rock
ABCDEFG, Wash those spots right off of me
HIJKLMNOP, I got plastic surgery
Moocha Moocha, I know karate (pose)
Moocha Moocha, I love my mommy (hug)
Moocha Moocha, oops! I'm sorry! (push opponent as hard as you can)
Moocha Moocha freeze! Whoever moves is American cheese! (first to move - even an eye twitch or a blink loses!)
"
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AClapping_game/Examples [no date]

****
EXAMPLE #4: [stand alone verse: "Inky Dinky Donkey"
1.
"It is ms su 👏👏 ms su 👏👏 ms su from Alabama Nebraska she was sitting in a rocking chair chewing a on her under where watching the clock go tic toc banana rock tic toc banana rock ABCDFG
wash those Cooney's off of me wisha wisha we daddy had a donkey donkey died daddy cried indie biddy donkey but cute
-Ayla Holt, 2018; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig_7pdDkHQ

**
2.
"Me and my friends go ms sue clap clap clap ms sue from Alabama Alaska Nebraska she was sitting in her rocking chair chewing on her under ware watching the time go tick toc tick toc banana rock tic toc tick toc banana rock abcdefg wash these kittens off of my mushka mushka mushka freeze icky icky donkey daddy had a donkey donkey died daddy cried icky icky donkey
-Jennifer Lofgren, 2018; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNkxEU3OFbU

****
EXAMPLE #5: [stand alone verse: "Your Mama's Got The Measles"]
"Ms Sue, Ms Sue,
Ms Sue from Parramatta
Hey you! Scooby Doo
Yo Mamma got the measles and your father got the flu
Magic measles magic flu
Take an A B C D E F G
Take a H I J K L M N O P
Take a smooth shot, take a smooth shot

NOW FREEZE"
-Smriti, 2015; https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091210140932AAZOeGy

****
EXAMPLE #6: [stand alone verse: First One To Move Is A Black Eye Pea/a Beauty Queen]
1.
Miss Sue (Clap clap clap)
Miss Sue (Clap clap clap)
Miss Sue from Alabama, her name is Suzianna
Sitting in a rocking chair, eating butter crackers
Watching the clock go
tick tock, tick tock
walawala
tick tock, tick tock
walawala
ABCDEFG
Wipe those boy germs off of me
I bet 'cha, I bet 'cha
I bet 'cha can't freeze, first one to move is the black eyed pea,
second one to move is the beauty queen,
between, between, between you and me,
starting... NOW.

-Allison L., 2016; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-svfUMX3BM

**
2.
"Miss Sue
Miss Sue
Miss Sue from Alabama
Her name was Suzianna
Sitting in a rocker
eating Betty Crocker
Watching the clock go
Tick Tock
Tick all around go
Tick Tock
Tick all around
A-B-C-D-E-F-G
Gotta wash that stain right out of me
Gotta Boom-shot
Gotta Boom-shot
Gotta crick in my side
Gotta crick in my side
Salt and pepper said "DO NOT MOVE"
(alternate ending)
Salt and pepper said" DO NOT MOVE,
FIRST ONE TO MOVE IS A BLACK-EYED-PEA
SECOND ONE TO MOVE IS A BEAUTY QUEEN

-Dani (White American, Southern USA), http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=63097 "Folklore: Do kid still do clapping rhymes?", September 22, 2003

****
EXAMPLE #7: [stand alone verse: "Gummy Bears Are Chasing Me"]
"At my school it is completely different it goes
My soup, my soup
My soup from California
Sitting in a rocket
Eating chocolate waiting for the Time to go
Tic tic cicawawa tic tic cicawawa
A b c d e f g
Gummy bears are chasing me
One is red
One is blue
One is peeing on my shoe
I'm running running for my life
Cause the red one has a knife
CACHING
"
The Colour English, 2016; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-svfUMX3BM
****
This concludes Part II of this three part series on The Textual Diversity Of Miss Sue From Alabama Rhymes.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment