Translate

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Stevie Wonder - "Higher Ground" (information, lyrics, video, and comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a video of the song "Higher Ground" performed by its composer, Stevie Wonder.

Information about this song and its lyrics are included in this post along with selected comments from this video's discussion thread are also included in this post.

****
The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Stevie Wonder for his musical legacy. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SONG "HIGHER GROUND"
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_Ground_(Stevie_Wonder_song)
" "Higher Ground" is a funk song written by Stevie Wonder which first appeared on his 1973 album Innervisions. The song reached number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the US Hot R&B Singles chart.[3] Wonder wrote and recorded the song in a three-hour burst of creativity in May 1973.[4] The album version of the song contains an extra verse and runs 30 seconds longer than the single version.... Wonder played all instruments on the track, including drums and percussion.

[...]

"Higher Ground" is a funk song written by Stevie Wonder which first appeared on his 1973 album Innervisions. The song reached number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the US Hot R&B Singles chart.[3] Wonder wrote and recorded the song in a three-hour burst of creativity in May 1973.[4] The album version of the song contains an extra verse and runs 30 seconds longer than the single version. The unique wah-clavinet sound in the song was achieved with a Mu-Tron III envelope filter pedal. The bass line is provided by a Moog synthesizer and using overdubs, Wonder played all instruments on the track, including drums and percussion.

[...]

Subject
The song lyrics address the issue of reincarnation. Wonder commented, when interviewed by The New York Times:
I would like to believe in reincarnation. I would like to believe that there is another life. I think that sometimes your consciousness can happen on this earth a second time around. For me, I wrote "Higher Ground" even before the accident. But something must have been telling me that something was going to happen to make me aware of a lot of things and to get myself together. This is like my second chance for life, to do something or to do more, and to value the fact that I am alive.[5]

[...]

Critical reception
In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked the song number 265 on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, adding: "'Higher Ground' was recorded just before Wonder was involved in a near-fatal accident in August 1973 that left him in a coma. Early in Wonder's recovery, his road manager sang the song's melody into the singer's ear; Wonder responded by moving his fingers with the music."[6]...

****
LYRICS: HIGHER GROUND
(Stevie Wonder)

[Verse 1]
People keep on learning
Soldiers keep on warring
World keep on turning
Because it won't be too long

[Verse 2]
Powers keep on lying
While your people keep on dying
World keep on turning
Because it won't be too long

[Chorus]
I'm so darn glad he let me try it again
Because my last time on earth I lived a whole world of sin
I'm so glad that I know more than I knew then
Going to keep on trying
Until I reach my highest ground

[Verse 3]
Teachers keep on teaching
Preachers keep on preaching
World keep on turning
Because it won't be too long
Oh no

[Verse 4]
Lovers keep on loving
Believers keep on believing
Sleepers just stop sleeping
Because it won't be too long
Oh no

[Chorus]
I'm so glad he let me try it again
Because my last time on earth I lived a whole world of sin
I'm so glad that I know more than I knew then
Going to keep on trying
Until I reach my highest ground
No one's going to bring me down

[Outro]
Until I reach my highest ground
No one's going to bring me down
Oh no
Until I reach my highest ground
Don't let nobody bring you down (they'll sho 'nuff try)


Source: https://genius.com/Stevie-wonder-higher-ground-lyrics

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO - "Higher Ground" Stevie Wonder 1974



WestLAGuy, Published on Dec 27, 2012

During his 1974 European Tour Stevie Wonder did a live performance on The Beat Club,

Here's "Higher Ground" from INNERVISIONS. On that album Stevie Wonder played ALL the instruments including drums.. On guitar just behind Wonder and to his right is MARLO HENDERSON behind and to Stevie's right, Reggie McBride on bass. Michael Sembello on guitar and T.O.N.T.O.synthesizer, and Ollie E. Brown kickin' ass and takin' names on drums.
Backing Vocals I'm pretty sure should be listed as Denice Williams, Lani Groves and Tasha Thomas.

I played around with the mix to brighten and balance it some.
-snip-
Selected comments from this video's discussion thread (with numbers assigned for referencing purposes only)
1. ccth22, 2013
"That drummer was no joke!"

**
2. Aaron Thomas, 2014
"PROVOCATIVE, RELEVANT, AND ALWAYS ON POINT...STEVIE WONDER"

****
2015
3. Fabián Fornaroli
"Love this man, his fantastic voice and his music... is amazing!!!"

**
4. videogameobsession
"I love how Stevie asking to have his monitor levels turned up somehow sounds like it belongs in that part of the song. ;)"

**
REPLY
5. She Organizes Houston
"Yes indeed! He's a true professional!"

**
6. Liza B
"I get shivers form the beat and the lyrics.
such amazing tune for the soul!"

**
7. Shayne O'Neill
"Stevie wonder has a brutally good left hand technique. He's pulling the rythm off that Flea does on the bass on the chilli peppers version, and honestly if you didn't know, you could be forgiven for thinking its the bassist doing it here."

**
REPLY
8. dbltrplx, 2016
"AND he is singing a perfect cadence"

**
9. King James Mayo
"I love this song stevie kill it"
-snip-
"Kill it" here is a high compliment.

****
2016
10. wil25z
"Get it, Stevie!!!!!!"

**
11. Mark Despatis
"I came here to listen how Stevie played and sang this song. Yesterday (2 April 2016) I listened to a video that included musicians from all over the world in their countries. I think it is an amazing collaboration. The singers Titi Tsira and Clarence Bekker from South Africa and the Netherlands."
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/07/playing-for-change-singers-musicians.html for a pancocojams post on Playing For Change's rendition of this song.

****
2017
12. Kurt Adams
"MOTOWN Masterpiece"

**
13. Dixie Dale
"You can see Stevie's beloved MuTron II synthesizer at 1:55, which gave his keyboard the famed quacking sound. He even did print ads for this device. Google it."

**
14. stonedog23
"Look at the legends that was in his band! And Deniece Williams back there grooving!"

**
15. Joost den Houdijker
""No pharmaceutical product could ever equal the rush you get when the band hits that groove, the people are dancing, shouting, and swaying, and the house is rocking!"

**
16. Jorge Hernandez
"Awesome live performance !"

**
17. Inge Spruyt
"That audience's reaction! Haha..."

**
18. Ricky El Diablo
"This much funk is not safe"

**
REPLY
19. Pa Tero
"Richard El Diablo Live dangerous!! 😂"

**
20. The Omega Point
"I love this song ❤️❤️🙌🏻 so powerful !!"

**
21. Ed Rekers
"Thank you for posting,WestLAGuy. Stevie Wonder!!! This is a great group playing with Mr. Wonder too!! This took place over 40 years ago and Stevie Wonder continues on strong today. Wonderful!"

****
2018
22. Tzvi Gluckin
"The guitarist labeled “Shuggie Otis” in the video is actually Marlo Henderson. The other guitarist (with the big hollow body) is Michael Sembello (he had a huge solo hit in the ‘80s with “Maniac,” which was also in the movie “Flashdance”)."

**
23. liviusss
"Iconic!"

**
24. racketman2u
"god, these videos of legends in their younger days are such GOLD! great post."

**
15. Aaron Frick
"Can not decide whether or not I like this or the Red Hot Chili Peppers version better."

**
REPLY
16. WestLAGuy
"Why not just like them both?"

**
27. Lucas Caique
"Yeah. RHCP did cover of this. And it's pretty good. But f&&k* it. The original can't be touched, it has so much energy, so much power. RHCP did a good job, but they didn't bring anything new to the song."
-snip-
*This word is fully spelled out in this comment.

RHCP= Rd Hot Chili Peppers [band]

**
18. 16 VBN
"After all these years I thought red hot hot chili peppers were the original singers of this song. I'm ashamed to be misled."

**
19. KutWrite
"Rhis version seems to stop before it's over!

I checked the full show, though, and they do stop there. Too bad... someone was going to do a great guitar solo!"

**
30. Darren Winter
"Tuuune!!!"

**
31. Melody Sanger
"HAPPY 68TH BIRTHDAY STEVLAND HARDAWAY MORRIS "STEVIE WONDER"
(MAY 13, 2018)"

**
32. Michael Harvill
"One of the marks of a great artist is that they sound fantastic live."

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment