Translate

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Bahian (Afro-Brazilian) Percussion Group Olodum Performing In Michael Jackson Video "They Don't Care About Us" & Paul Simon Video "The Obvious Child".

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on the Brazilian percussion group Olodum.

Part II showcases a video of Michael Jackson performing his song "They Don't Care About Us" and a video of Paul Simon performing his song "The Obvious Child". Both of these videos feature Olodum.

Information about these songs along with their lyrics are also included in this post.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-afro-brazilian-bahia-percussive.html for Part I of this series.

Part I provides information about Olodum and showcases five YouTube videos of that group.

Selected comments from the discussion threads for two of these videos are also included in this post.

****
The contents of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Michael Jackson, Paul Simon, and Olodum for these videos. Thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS
Example #1: Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us



Uploaded by michaeljacksonVEVO on Oct 2, 2009
-snip-
Released -June 16, 1995

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SONG
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Don%27t_Care_About_Us
"They Don't Care About Us" is the fifth single from Michael Jackson's album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I, released on March 31, 1996. The song remains one of the most controversial pieces Jackson ever composed. In the US, media scrutiny surrounding allegations of antisemitic lyrics were the catalyst for Jackson issuing multiple apologies and re-recording the song with altered lyrics. The singer countered allegations of antisemitism, arguing that reviews had misinterpreted the context of the song, either unintentionally or deliberately.

The song was accompanied by two music videos directed by Spike Lee. The first was shot in two locations in Brazil, in Pelourinho, the historic city center of Salvador, and in a favela of Rio de Janeiro called Dona Marta,[1][2] where the state authorities had tried to ban all production over fears the video would damage their image, the area and prospects of Rio de Janeiro staging the 2004 Olympics. Still, the residents of the area were happy to see the singer, hoping their problems would be made visible to a wider audience.[2] The second video was shot in a prison and contained video footage of multiple references to human rights abuses.

Commercially, the song became a top ten hit in all European countries and number one in Germany for three weeks. In the US, radio stations were reluctant to play the controversial composition; it, however, managed to peak at number 30 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The song was remixed with parts of songs such as "Privacy" (from the album Invincible) and "Tabloid Junkie", and released on the Immortal album, in November, 2011.

The song was performed during Jackson's third and final concert series, the HIStory World Tour which ran from 1996 to 1997 as part of a medley with "Scream" and "In the Closet". The song was set to be performed on Jackson's This Is It comeback concert series at The O2 Arena in London from July 2009 to March 2010 but the shows were cancelled due to his sudden death on June 25, 2009."...

****
LYRICS: THEY DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT US
(Michael Jackson)

[Intro (chanting)]
(All I want to say is that they don't really care about us)
Don't worry what people say, we know the truth
(All I want to say is that they don't really care about us)
Enough is enough of this garbage
(All I want to say is that they don't really care about us)
(Overlapping voices)

[Verse 1]
Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, aggravation
Everybody allegation
In the suit, on the news
Everybody dog food
Bang bang, shot dead
Everybody gone mad

[Hook]
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

[Verse 2]
Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Jew me, sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, kike me
Don't you black or white me

[Hook]
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

[Bridge 1]
Tell me, what has become of my life?
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rippin' me of my pride, oh, for God's sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy, set me free

[Verse 3]
Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Trepidation, speculation
Everybody allegation
In the suit, on the news
Everybody dog food
Black male, blackmail
Throw your brother in jail

[Hook]
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

[Bridge 2]
Tell me, what has become of my rights?
Am I invisible 'cause you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwin' me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came
You know, I do really hate to say it
The government don't wanna see
But if Roosevelt was livin'
He wouldn't let this be, no, no

[Verse 4]
Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, speculation
Everybody litigation
Beat me, bash me
You can never trash me
Hit me, kick me
You can never get me

[Hook]
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

[Verse 5]
Some things in life
They just don't wanna see
But if Martin Luther was livin'
He wouldn't let this be
Skin head, dead head
Everybody's gone bad
Situation, segregation
Everybody allegation
In the suit, on the news
Everybody dog food
Kick me, strike me
Don't you wrong or right me

[Hook]
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us

Source: https://genius.com/Michael-jackson-they-dont-care-about-us-lyrics

****
Example #2: Paul Simon - Obvious Child



PaulSimonVEVO, Published on Jun 16, 2011

Lyrics:

I'm accustomed to a smooth ride
Or maybe I'm a dog who's lost its bite
I don't expect to be treated like a fool no more
I don't expect to sleep through the night
Some people say a lie's a lie's a lie
But I say why
Why deny the obvious child?
Why deny the obvious child?

And in remembering a road sign
I am remembering a girl when I was young
And we said These songs are true
These days are ours
These tears are free
And hey
The cross is in the ballpark
The cross is in the ballpark

We had a lot of fun
We had a lot of money
We had a little son and we thought we'd call him Sonny
Sonny gets married and moves away
Sonny has a baby and bills to pay
Sonny gets sunnier
Day by day by day by day

-snip-
This video shows the Afro-Brazilian group Olodum and also shows scenes of the Afro-Brazilian martial arts, Capoeira.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/04/paranaue-videos-lyrics-meaning.html for a 2012 pancocojams post about the Capoeira song "Paranaue" which was featured in the movie "Only The Strong Survive".

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SONG
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Obvious_Child
" "The Obvious Child" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Paul Simon. It was the lead single from his eighth studio album, The Rhythm of the Saints (1990), released by Warner Bros. Records. Written by Simon, its lyrics explore mortality and aging. The song is accompanied by a performance from Brazilian drumming collective Olodum in a live recording.

The single, released in September 1990, was commercially successful, performing well on charts worldwide. In the United States, it was mainly successful on the Album Rock Tracks chart, where it peaked at number 21. Outside the US, "The Obvious Child" was a top 15 hit in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. The song received highly positive reviews upon its release. Simon promoted the song alongside Olodum in a performance on Saturday Night Live. The song also influenced popular culture; it is the namesake of the 2014 film Obvious Child."...

****
This concludes Part II of this pancocojams post about the Afro-Brazilian percussion group Olodum.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment