Translate

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Amani & Boni - "A Child Like Me" (Two Tanzanian Boys Sing A Song About Malaria)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post provides information about Malaria and showcases a 2012 video of a song that two boys from Tanzania, East Africa wrote about that disease.

This post includes my transcription of that song. Additions and corrections are very welcome.

The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural, educational, and humanitarian purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Amani and Boni for their creativity and thanks to the producers and publishers of this video. Thanks also to all those who work to eradicate and reduce Malaria throughout the world.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT MALARIA AND MALARIA PREVENTION
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/our-work/medical-issues/malaria?source=ADD180U0U00&utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=GooglePaid&utm_content=nonbrand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt9

"According to the World Health Organization, 214 million cases of malaria were reported in 2015, with 438,000 people dying from the mosquito-transmitted parasite. Ninety-one percent of these deaths occured in sub-Saharan Africa. Despite malaria mortality rates falling by 37 percent since 2000, a child in Africa still dies every minute from malaria.

Malaria is most common in poor, deprived areas. In many cases, malaria itself is the cause of such poverty: malaria causes havoc on a socioeconomic level as patients are often bedridden and incapable of carrying out normal daily tasks, resulting in burdens on households and health services, and ultimately huge losses to income in malaria-endemic countries.

This suffering and loss of life are tragically unnecessary because malaria is largely preventable, detectable, and treatable.

While 91 percent of malaria deaths occur in sub-Saharan Africa, the disease is present in nearly every tropical area where MSF carries out field programs: from Ethiopia and Sierra Leone to Myanmar.

[...]

Facts
Ninety percent of malaria deaths occur in children living in sub-Saharan Africa.
Malaria is most common in poor areas and is itself a cause of poverty.
Malaria is a parasitic infection transmitted by female mosquitoes.
Artemisinin-based combination therapy is the most effective treatment.
A course of anti-malarial pills for a baby can cost as little as $0.40.
-snip-
This page has a DONATE option. Please consider donating to this worthwhile cause.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO - A Child Like Me



BestnetAS, Published on Apr 24, 2012

Every 45 seconds a child dies from malaria, a completely preventable disease. Two boys named Amani and Boni from Tanzania wrote a song to celebrate World Malaria Day 2012. They would like you to watch their performance in this video produced by Bestnet A/S, as they share their special gift and message that sleeping under a Netprotect® LLIN can save lives.

****
VIDEO SUBTITLES:
"Every 45 seconds
A child dies from Malaria
2 boys from Tanzania wrote a song
to celebrate World Malaria Day
They would like you to listen

[Subtitle at the end of the song]

"Malaria is a preventable disease.
For more information, please visit www.worldmalariaday.org"

[Note that that website is in German.]

[The link at the bottom of this video reads “Visit us at www.bestneteurope.com”
This website link now leads to http://www.realreliefway.com/.

****
LYRICS- A CHILD LIKE ME*
(Amani & Boni)

A child like me
A child like me
A child like me
Oh-o-oh

It is amazing for people to die
with Malaria diseases
too dangerous to me.

A child like me
A child like me
A child like me.
Isn’t oh

It is amazing for people to die
from Malaria diseases
too dangerous to me.

A child like me
A child like me
A child like me.
Oh-o-oh

[one boy sings] Many are found in south equator land
[second boy responds] Hey
[one boys sings] They sleep on the land
[second boy responds] Oh
[one boy sings] It’s found in the home
[second boy responds] Oh no no no
[one boy sings] They wanna to be free
[second boy responds] Just like ah me
[one boy sings] They wanna be free
[second boy responds] Yeah
[one boy sings] even me

It is amazing for people to die
With Malaria diseases
too dangerous to me.

a child like me
a child like me
a child like me.
isn’t it oh

Malaria is serious
It is in rivers
It must be careful
for you and me
if you be brave
you will be saved
You can be free
just like ah me
It is amazing for people to die
With Malaria diseases
too dangerous to me.

a child like me
a child like me
a child like me.
even me
Hmmmm. [both hum]

[one boy sings] When I’ll be grown
[one boy repeats] Then I'll be stronger
[one boy sings] I will be grown
[one boy repeats] I will be stronger

[one boy sings] When I’ll be grown
[one boy repeats] Then I’ll be stronger
[one boy sings] I will be grown
[one boy repeats] I will be stronger
[one boy sings] I will be stronger
[one boy repeats] I will be stronger
[both sing] I will be stronger
Hopefully I will be fine.
-snip-
*This song has the same tune as K'Naan - "Wavin' Flag" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJSt4wP2ME

I've published this transcription because I believe this song is worthy of being documented & shared and I couldn't find the lyrics online. Please help correct this transcription. Thanks!

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment