Translate

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Kenyan Gospel Singer Florence Andenyi - "Kibali" (video, lyrics, & comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a YouTube video of "Kibali" by Kenyan Gospel singer Florence Andenyi.

Swahili lyrics for this song are given in this post with English translations. This post also included selected comments from the discussion thread for these lyrics and from the showcased video's discussion thread.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

In addition to this song and its video, I'm particularly interested in learning some Swahili words to English from Google's translations. However, I've added some suggested alternative standard English translations for some of the results of those translations.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Florence Andenyi for composing and singing this Gospel song. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Florence Andenyi - KIBALI (Official Video)



M-TOWN PRODUCTION, Published on Aug 30, 2014
-snip-
English definitions for the Swahili word "kibali" (as found in comments in this video's discussion thread) = approval; permission, consent, favor

****
LYRICS: KIBALI
"Kibali (Approval) Lyrics by Florence Andenyi

(Sung in Swahili)

Baba naomba kibali Chako (Father I ask for Your approval)
Yesu naomba ushirika Wako (Jesus I pray for Your fellowship)
Masiya naomba kibali Chako (Messiah I pray for your approval)
Kibali Chako, kwa uimbaji wangu (Your approval for my singing)
Kibali Chako, kwa huduma yangu (Your approval for my ministry)

Nishikilie nisianguke Baba (Father Hold me that I may not fall)
Natamani nikae na wewe maishani (I desire to abide with Youu in life)
Ninapoimba uwepo wako ushuke Baba (When I sing, may your presence come)
Nisiwe na kiburi ndani yangu nitumie Baba
(That I should not harbour any boast, use me Father)
Kama ndabihu iliyosafi Mbele zako, nitumie Yesu
(As a worthy offering before You, use me Jesus)

Naona mbingu zikifunguka katika kuabudu (I see the heavens open in worship)
Naona sifa zikitanda dunia yote (I see praises spreading across the world)
Najitoa kama dhabihu nitumie Baba (I give myself as an offering, use me Father)
Wewe ni mwema sana umetukuka (You are good, You are exalted)
Hakuna kama wewe (There is no one like you)
Wewe ni mwema sana umetukuka (You are good, You are exalted)
Hakuna kama wewe (There is no one like you)

Naona mbingu zikifunguka katika kuabudu (I see the heavens open in worship)
Naona sifa zikitanda dunia yote (I see praises spreading across the world)
Naona mbingu zikifunguka katika kuabudu (I see the heavens open in worship)
Naona sifa zikitanda dunia yote (I see praises spreading across the world)

Nishikilie nisianguke Baba (Father hold me that I may not fall)
Ukiniacha nitamezwa na dunia (If you abandon me, I’ll be swallowed by the world)
Naomba unishikilie wokovu wangu (I pray for You to hold my salvation)
Naomba unishikilie imani yangu (I pray for You to hold my faith)

Achilia kibali chako ndani yangu (Release your approval within me)
Achilia uwepo wako ndani yangu (Release your presence within me)
Achilia ushindi wako juu yangu (Release your victory on me)
Achilia amani yako juu yangu (Release your peace on me)
Achilia kibali chako ndani yangu (Release your approval within me)
Achilia uwepo wako ndani yangu (Release your presence within me)

(Verse 1)

Naona mbingu zikifunguka katika kuabudu (I see the heavens open in worship)
Naona sifa zikitanda dunia yote (I see praises spreading across the world)
Naona mbingu zikifunguka katika kuabudu (I see the heavens open in worship)
Naona sifa zikitanda dunia yote (I see praises spreading across the world)"

-snip-
Here are two comments from this page's discussion thread:
Alice, Apr 21, 2016
"Thanks for the lyrics but kibali sio approval ni favor"
-snip-
Swahili
"sio" = "no"
-snip-
"Ni" = "it is"

**
REPLY
Barak, Feb 21, 2018
"It all means the same."

Source: https://africangospellyrics.com/2015/10/07/kibali-approval-lyrics-by-florence-andenyi/

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
-snip-
Here are selected comments from this sound file's discussion thread, with numbers assigned for referencing purposes only:
2016
1. emmy onu
"A Lovely and touching song, even though I hardly understand a single word... But I love it... More grease and God bless.. Flo... from Nigeria"
-snip-
I think that "more grease" in this comment comes from the American saying "more grease to your elbow", meaning "keep up the good work".

Although emmy onu didn't specifically for an explanation about this song, several commenters from Nigeria, and from Ghana did ask for such an explanation. I read most of the comments in Kibali's YouTube comment thread and, in spite of the fact that a number of commenters asked in English what the song meant, no one responded to those requests even though there were commenters whose names suggested that they were East African and who wrote statements in English about that song.

That lack of response to what certainly appeared to me to be sincere, respectful requests for a general statement about what the song meant, if not an actual translation (in English) of the actual lyrics, appears to be different from such responses in other YouTube contemporary African music discussion threads. In some of those discussions that I've come across, mostly for Nigerian songs, a number of people responded to such requests by posting a general summary of the song if not a partial or complete translations of those songs' lyrics.

Is this response for this Kenyan song typical of YouTube discussion threads for contemporary Kenyan (or Swahili) music videos? Could this lack of response mean that Kenyans (or Swahili) speakers prefer that only people who speak Swahili post on their music threads?

Read comment #36 which refers to this subject of including English translations of Swahili language songs.

**
2. Wambua Daniel
"Am always blessed when I listen to this song ,Keep it up Florence,"
-snip-
I've seen the statement "Keep it up" in a lot of YouTube contemporary African music discussions threads. I think that statement is a short form of "Keep up the good work". To my knowledge, "Keep it up" isn't used the same way in the United States. Instead, in the USA, if someone says "Keep it up" it's likely to be warning that that person will face negative consequence if he or she continues to do or say what prompted that statement.

****
2017
3. Anne Mmbone
"wow so amazing napenda this siz of my may THE LORD ALMIGHTY keep you going"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English:
"napenda"= I liked
-snip-
I've also seen "napenda" elsewhere translated as "I love".

The words "siz of my" = "my sister".

This is one example of several comments that included an alternative spelling of the word "sis" which isn't used in the United States, although some other vernacular words might substitute a "z" for a "s".]

**
4. Akello Violet
"Nishikilie nisianguke baba"
wonderful job well done sister, bwana asifiwe .....may He bless ur ministry.
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English:
"Nishikilie nisianguke baba" Let me not forget my father with "father" here meaning God.

"bwana asifiwe" = "Praise the Lord"

**
5. Maryam Al
"barikiwa sana"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English= "very pleased"

**
6. Martha Arthur
"Pls sis i love your songs but i don't understand .Pls translate particular one for me thanks.Ghana."

**
7. Amos Oduor
"The first time I heard this song it was her voice that stood out. I love the simplicity and sincerity of the song. Stay grounded and may God bless you."

**
8. rebecca kanini
"I'm blessed by this song. Surely i need God's favor

**
9. Dan Wafula
"this is how gospel supposed to be sung"

**
10. mutuku clinton
"This is what the GOSPEL entails. Let other Gospel singers emulate the same. Don't Sing for the sake of singing. The song always touches my life. Glory to GOD"

**
11. Dominic Obunaka
"Big tune dada, keep it up"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English: "dada" = "sister"

**
12. Githumbi john
"Kibali chake tu ndiyo kinaweza kutuinuwΓ ,nimebarikiwa my sis, God anoint u even more
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English: "Only his consent is possible, I have been blessed".

**
13. Caroline Nyanga
"This is one of the best Kenyan gospel songs i have heard. God bless you Andenyi. Keep up the spirit for the glory of God. Personally I am so proud of you. Once again God bless you abandantly. This is one of the reasons He created us to worship Him."

**
14. Tabitha Namayi
"Amen dada"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English for the word "dada"= "sister"

**
15. John Nganga
"achilia kibali chako...
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English.
"let down your permit"
-snip-
My suggested alternative English translation: "Let down your favor; grace? [upon me/us]".

**
16. julia kurgat
"Im always touched by your songs and when I am down I listen they really help thanks and God bless you.

**
17. Pendaely Mungure
"Wow Unanifanya ni msifu Mungu wangu mda wote"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English
"You make me worship my God all the time"

**
18. Peter Kingori
"Wow! I did not know this song bird has such great prodcut. the setting humbles me and remings me of my childrnehoold days when we used to assist mother peel the mboco and minji. Oh she has made me nostalgic....not sure how i can make sue i contribute to her success. God bless her."

**
19. Sherylin Geoffrey
"Naomba kibali chako daddy"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English: "I request your approval daddy." [with "daddy" here meaning Father God]

**
20. Isaac Nato
"I love the song too much . It's actually good gospel πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
-snip-
"too much" = very much

I've seen this positive meaning of "too much" in some other YouTube African music discussion threads. That meaning is different from how "too much" is usually used in the United States. Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-positive-uses-of-too-much-or-too.html for the pancocojams post entitled "The Positive Use Of "Too Much" Or "Too + An Adjective" In West African Pidgin English"

**
21. Purity Manthi
"Naomba kibali bwana"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English: "Naomba kibali bwana= I beg the master"
-snip-
My suggested standard English: "I fervently ask the Master (God) for his approval (favor; grace?)."

**
22. Fauster Matiko
"can't get enough of listening to this song baba naomba kibali chako naona bingu zikifuka. Mungu akubariki kwa wimbo mzuri.
Unanibariki sana
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English:
"Daddy ask for your permission and see the thunderstorm. God bless you for a good song.


You really bless me"

**
23. Faith Carol
"This is my wake up alarm song, I wake up to pray each morning. I love it."

**
24. esther awino
"hiyo song inaguza sana....keep it up Florence my God bless u"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English:
hiyo= "that"

"inaguaza sana" = very painful
-snip-
My suggested alternative translation for "inaguaza sana" very touching; very emotionally moving

**
25. Miriam Mndeme
"Mungu naomba achilia kibali chako kazini kwangu kwenye ndoa yangu kwenye huduma yangu mahali pangu pa kuishi juu ya Afya yangu Yesu naomba ushirika katika maisha yangu ninayo ishi hapa duniani mpk utakapo nichukua
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English
"I beg God to let your work work on me in my marriage in my ministry my place to live on My Health Jesus I ask for a partnership in my life here on earth when you take me"

**
26. Things Of Essence
"I seldom listen to Kenyan Gospel Music, but this one held me - not once not twice - I haven't had enough of it. Thanks Florey!"

**
27. Hillary Lukase
"I like the song..... Big up
-snip-
Here's a definition of the term "Big up" from https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=big%20up:
"big up
(noun) origin - jamaican 1980s. singular and plural.
1. An expression of support or encouragement.
2. An expression of remembrance.

origin - "Up" is an english term used to mean elevation. Therefore the term "big up" literally means to elevate highly or to a superlative degree.
"I want to big up everyone who has shown me support over the years."
"Big up on that excellent performance"

by neochin June 17, 2004"

**
28. Naaman Kilonzo
"Mungu akubariki"
-snip-
Google translate from Swahili to English: "God bless you"

**
29. Caroline Nangila
"God bless you siz for blessing my heart and many more.lov u"
-sip-
“Siz” may be a typo for “sis” meaning “sister”. However, there were several other comments with this spelling, suggesting that this may be a vernacular custom in Kenya or elsewhere (but not that I'm aware of in the United States.)

**
30. Charles Siele
"Naona mbingu zikifunguka katika kuabudu
Naona sifa zikitanda dunia yote" May it come to pass Florence.
What a voice, what a gosple message!"
-snip-
Google translate from Swahili to English
"I see the heavens open in worship
I see attributes all over the world"
-snip-
These are lyrics from that song.

**
31. Ezra Misaki
"I like the local natural environment that shows real life. But also the song is interesting and good when resting under a big tree"

**
32. Mary Mwendwa
"nice song florence. your songs are blessing to me. mungu akupe kibali uendeleze injili."
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English: "God grant you permission to continue the gospel."

****
2018
33. Moses Nko
"Be BLEASSED.I real like your songs particularly KIBALI.Ubarikiwe sana
-snip-
Google translation of "Ubarikiwe sana" from Swahili to English: "Be very blessed"

**
34. Osmond J
"There are many lovely things in life and florence's music is one those things!! Beautiful!! And so is she!!"

**
35. simple lady Liz
"Baba naomba kibali chako"
-snip-
Google translation from Swahili to English: "Father, I beg your permission."

**
36. hellen chihana
"These songs always try to translate in english.They have a message which can change people's lives."
-snip-
I agree that publishers of Swahili language (and other African languages) songs on YouTube should include a general statement in English (or in other major languages such as French or Spanish) about these Swahili Gospel songs.

**
37. martin sakwa
"In Kenya luhyas a always blessd with sweet voices they dont force it.Love this song"
-snip-
This comment implies that Florence Andenyi is a member of the Luhya ethnic group. Here's information from about the Luhyas ethnic group from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhya_people:
"The Luhya (also known as Abaluyia or Luyia)[2] are a Bantu ethnic group in Kenya.[3] They number about 5.3 million people according to the 2009 census, being about 16% of Kenya's total population of 38.5 million, and are the second-largest ethnic group in Kenya.[1]

Luhya refers to both the people and their language. There are 18 (and by other accounts, 19, when the Suba are included) tribes that make up the Luhya. Each with a distinct dialect. The word Luhya or Luyia in some of the dialects means "clan", and Abaluhya (Abaluyia) thus means "people of the clan". Other translations are "those of the same hearth."".

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment