Translate

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Two Examples Of "I'm A Rollin Through An Unfriendly World" (Fisk Jubilee Singers & The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases two renditions of the African American Spiritual "I'm A Rollin Through An Unfriendly World as sung by The Fisk Jubilee Singers and The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composer/s of this Spiritual and thanks to The Fisk Jubilee Singers and The Five Blind Boys for their musical legacy. Thanks to Alan Lomax for recording this song and thanks to the publisher of this sound file on YouTube.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/06/bessie-jones-im-rollin-african-american.html for a pancocojams post that showcases Bessie Jones singing a version of "I'm A Rollin Through This Unfriendly World". The title for that version uses the word "this" instead of "an" and has different verses than the version that is sung by The Fisk Jubilee Singers and The Five Blind Boys.

****
LYRICS
Version #1
from American Negro Spirituals
by J. W. Johnson, J. R. Johnson, 1925

I’m a-rollin’, I’m a-rollin’
I’m a-rollin’ through an unfriendly worl’
I’m a-rollin’, I’m a-rollin’
I’m a-rollin’ through an unfriendly worl’
I’m a-rollin’, I’m a-rollin’
I’m a-rollin’ through an unfriendly worl’
I’m a-rollin’, I’m a-rollin’
I’m a-rollin’ through an unfriendly worl’

O, brothers, won’t you help me
O, brothers, won’t you help [me] to pray
Oh, brothers, won’t you help me
Won’t you help me in de service of de Lord

O, sisters, won’t you help me
O, sisters, won’t you help e to pray
Oh, sisters, won’t you help me
Won’t you help me in de service of de Lord

****
Version #2:
"I’M A-ROLLIN"
from Spirituals
by William Stickles, 1948

I’m a-rolling
I’m a-rolling
I’m a-rolling
Thro’ an unfriendly world
I’m a-rolling
I’m a-rolling
Thro’ an unfriendly world

Oh, brothers, won’t you help me?
Oh, brothers, won’t you help me to pray?
Oh, brothers, won’t you help me?
Won’t you help me in the service of the Lord?

Oh, sisters, won’t you help me?
Oh, sisters, won’t you help me to pray?
Oh, sisters, won’t you help me?
Won’t you help me in the service of the Lord?

Oh, preachers, won’t you help me?
Oh, preachers, won’t you help me to pray?
Oh, preachers, won’t you help me?
Won’t you help me in the service of the Lord?

-snip-
Internet source for both of these versions: https://www.negrospirituals.com/songs/i_m_a_rolling.htm

****
SHOWCASE YOUTUBE EXAMPLES
Example #1: I'm A-Rolling Through an Unfriendly World



Fisk Jubilee Singers - Topic , Published on May 23, 2015

Provided to YouTube by Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

I'm A-Rolling Through an Unfriendly World · Fisk Jubilee Singers
℗ 2004 Smithsonian Folkways Recordings / 1955 Folkways Records

Released on: 1955-01-01

****
Example #2: I'm A Rolling (Vinyl LP) - Five Blind Boys, "I'm A Rolling"



Pannellctp Traditional Gospel Music Published on Jun 12, 2013

Five Blind Boys Of Alabama - "I'm A Rolling" Album

The Blind Boys of Alabama are a gospel group from Alabama that first formed at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind at Talladega, Alabama in 1939. The three main vocalists of the group and their drummer/percussionist are all blind.

As of 2010, The Blind Boys of Alabama continue to tour nationally and internationally, with Jimmy Carter singing lead vocals. In 2006, Clarence Fountain, the group's former long-time lead vocalist and founding member limited his touring for health reasons. Founding member George Scott died on March 9, 2005 at the age of 75. Another founding member, Johnny Fields, died on November 12, 2009.

Releases by the group in recent years have been favorites at the Grammy Awards-they won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album every year between 2002 to 2005. The Blind Boys of Alabama were inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2007. In 2009, they were awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award."...
-snip-
I don't know when this album was released.

The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama shouldn't be confused with The Five Blind Boys Of Mississippi.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. These are the words to "I'm A Rollin" that I remember singing in my Baptist Church around the mid to late 1950s or the early to mid 1960s in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

    The verses that Bessie Jones used for "I'm A Rollin" include the words "Everybody is a rollin' stone". That version is featured in another pancocojams post whose link is given above.

    Those lyrics were unfamiliar to me until I heard that version on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete