Translate

Friday, October 21, 2016

Emmanuel and Philip Hudson - "Ratchet Girl Anthem" (information, lyrics, comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part III of a three part series on the slang term "ratchet".

Part III showcases the 2012 video "Ratchet Girl Anthem" and provides the lyrics and explanations for some other African American Vernacular English words and phrases from those lyrics.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/10/what-ratchet-means-how-its-slang.html for Part I of this series. Part I provides definitions of and comments about the slang word "ratchet". This post also includes a partial chronology of the slang use of the word "ratchet" by various recording artists and YouTube videographers.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/10/do-tha-ratchet-dance-videos-with.html for Part II of this series. Part II showcases two YouTube videos of "Do Tha Ratchet" dance.

The content of this post is presented for etymological and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are featured in these videos, thanks to all those who are quoted in this post, and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
OVERVIEW OF THE VIDEO "RATCHET GIRL ANTHEM"
The parody video entitled "Ratchet Girl Anthem" was first published on YouTube on January 16, 2012 by biological brothers Emmanuel Hudson and Phillip Hudson from Atlanta, Georgia. The official copy of that video has a total of 13,067,907 views as of 10/21/2016 at 7:41 A.M. There are several other copies of this video on YouTube.

Emmanuel and Philip Hudson also performed "Ratchet Girl's Anthem" on America's Got Talent in 2014 which also greatly helped to popularize the slang word "ratchet".

Here's a comment about this video from http://latinrapper.com/blogs/?p=8810:
..."the “Ratchet Girl Anthem,” a parody track recorded by Philip and Emmanuel Houston, collected tens of millions of Youtube hits. In it, the Atlanta brothers pretend to be ratchet women describing their ilk: They carry outdated flip phones, go clubbing while pregnant, and try to punch other women in the face. “Ratchet is basically a lack of home training — being out in public and acting like you don’t have any sense,” Philip Houston told the Cut. “Putting a weave in the microwave just to curl it, that’s ratchet.”
-snip-
Unlike the earlier (2004) Lil' Boosie Hip Hop dance record "Do Tha Ratchet" in which the adjective "ratchet" applies to both males and females, in Emmanuel and Philip Hudson's video "Do The Ratchet" that adjective is limited to females. The word "ratchet" is also limited to females in their even more popular YouTube video "You Askin All them Questions" which was posted on January 21, 2012. Click to view that video which has a total of 59,769,790 views to date.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Ratchet Girl Anthem (SHE RACHEEET!) - Emmanuel and Phillip Hudson



Emmanuel N Phillip Hudson, Uploaded on Jan 16, 2012

Ratchet Girl Anthem is a video created to show some women that the way that they carry themselves isn't always cute.

****
LYRICS: RATCHET GIRL'S ANTHEM (The Single Version)

(Emmanuel and Phillip Hudson)

OMG what do she have on (she ratchet)?
her lace front is all wrong ('cause she ratchet)
gimme the phone, I'm finna take this heffa picture ('cause she ratchet)
Got it! I'm 'bout to put this girl on Twitter ('cause she ratchet)

'Cause I ain't got time for this, I'm too grown (see you ratchet)
Boy bye, not with them shoes on (because you ratchet)
ooh I just wanna punch her in her face (oh she ratchet)
I can't stand her, ooh she too fake (she ratchet)

Girl, lemme tell you what I got my mister mister (girl what?)
a baby boy and it came with a sister (uh uh)
girl yes, I'm pregnant but I still hit the club (that's right)
in the middle of the floor with no shoes (what's up)

I had to look cute today,
apple bottom jeans fur boots today (that's right)
I had to keep it looking good 'cause my baby daddy just made bail
he a thug he'll shoot today (that's right)
new baby need new shoes today,
child support check get two today (cha ching)
got the tracks, yesterday
girl, did you get the glue today? (you know it)

gone beef it up, move tramp (get out my way!)
It's the 15th I got my food stamps (cha ching)
Got a brand new piercing, brand new tat
paid 95 dollars for this weave plus tax (bow)

bend that thang over while I spank my thong (get it girl)
No real hair this kanekalon,
thinking that you better than I am
well, then you thinking wrong (you stupid)

whatever, she a lie.
my number? boy bye!
what is wrong, sugar?
shh shh be quiet

hey girl, you look good, you look
turn around lemme see who did yo sew in
get it get it get it
oh...oh OK we gon' talk to you later, girl
bye...

OMG what do she have on (she ratchet)?
her lace front is all wrong ('cause she ratchet)
gimme the phone, I'm finna take this heffa picture ('cause she ratchet)
Got it! I'm 'bout put this girl on Twitter (you know you ratchet)

because I ain't got time for this I'm too grown (see you ratchet)
boy bye, not with them shoes on (he ratchet)
ooh I just wanna punch her in her face (oh she ratchet)
I can't stand her, oh she too fake (she ratchet)

my name is Emmanuella but my girlfriends call me Carrie (alright)
the club is free before 11 pre-game then we party (leggo)
yes I am the baddest
you can't have this boo boo sorry (uh uh)
'cause 2 chainz is my future baby daddy,
MAURY

got my jersey dress on,
Jordan heels match my press on (alright)
Pound team dark skin, we don't like them red bones (what you saying?)
duck lip in my pictures,
new avi got glitter
hit me up on Facebook and follow me on Twitter (get at me)

I'm with team flip phone (what else?)
Team Chris Brown (okay)
if she don't shut it up then it's team shut it down (I mean do what you wanna do)
I'm with team bad chick,
team with your man (that right)
if he got a lotta money then it's team he paying (that right)

What is you sayin'
I mean he might as well spend it on me (you over there bein' ratchet)
because you ain't looking like nothing (I'm on, I'm on my job)
you ain't lookin' like nun (why you wanna be mad?)
you ain't lookin'
what you gon do? what you gon do?
Please please... (ooh oh)
Girl OMG (what is wrong with her? she so fake)

OMG what do she have on (she ratchet)?
her lace front is all wrong (cause she ratchet)
gimme the phone, I'm finna take this heffa picture ('cause she ratchet)
Got it! I'm 'bout put this girl on Twitter (you know you ratchet)

'Cause I ain't got time for this, I'm too grown (see you ratchet)
Boy bye, not with them shoes on (he ratchet)
ooh I just wanna punch her in her face (oh she ratchet)
I can't stand her, oh she too fake (she ratchet)

think she look good with that leopard skin (what you gonna do?)
why would you get leopard skin tated on you?
You look like the jungle
Okay I got it,
Your hair is the jungle
And, you want to get leopard, leopard spots tatted on you
Oh my God
Boy Bye!

Source: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/emmanuelhudson/ratchetgirlanthem.html

****
EXPLANATION OF CERTAIN WORDS & PHRASES FROM "RATCHET GIRL'S ANTHEM
(given in alphabetical order)

"cha ching" = a term coined to represent the sound of coin money going into a cash register

**
"did you get the glue today" = asking about glue that is used to add "tracks" to a person's (usually females) hair (Read the explanation for "tracks" below)

**
"duck lip" - a person pouting her or his lips to look like a duck or a fish; "This is a face used in many teenage facebook pictures. They stick their lips out in a fashion that resembles a duck's beak. It is meant to be seductive, although why anyone would think ducks are sexy, I don't know."...http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Duck%20Lips by Seven Seven December 21, 2012

**
"finna" = fixing to; getting ready to (do something)

**
flip phone = an outdated style for cell phones that have a cover that flips up to show the screen; Cell phones with "touch screens" replaced "flip phones". Therefore, anyone who is still using "flip phones" is looked down upon as being poor, old fashioned, and or cheap.

**
"heffa(h)" = heifer, an insult referent for a female who has done something offensive or irritating to you or a female who you don't like for whatever reason; "Heffah" has nothing to do with fat shaming

**
"hit me up on Facebook" = go to my Facebook page and write a comment on that page

**
"kanekalon" = a brand name for fake hair (also known as "weaves", "tracks", and/or "extensions"

**
"lace front" = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lace_wig
"A lace wig or a lace front wig is a special type of hairpiece or wig in which human hair or synthetic hair is tied by hand to a sheer lace base which goes over the scalp."

**
"OMG" (abbreviation for the exclamation "oh my God". When "OMG" is spoken, each letter is pronounced separately

**
"press on (nails)" = fingernails that are placed on top of your nails by some form of adhesive

**
"ratchet" [definition for "ratchet' as used in this song] = an insulting adjective that has the same or similar meanings as "a hot mess", "tacky", "skanky" etc.

**
"red bones" = a (usually) neutral (neither positive or negative) African American term for light skin Black people whose complexion has a reddish tinge; in this song "red bone" is used in contrast to (Black people who are) "dark skin" ["Redbones" also refers to the ethnic population known as "Louisiana Redbones". However, I don't think that term refers to that population in this song.]

**
"sew in" = fake or real human hair that is attached to a female or male's hair by sewing

**
"team [add noun]" = refers to a group that you consider yourself a part of or a group that you are rooting for in a real or imaginary competition

**
"tatted" = ("Tat" is an abbreviation for "tattoos"); tatted - having tattoos, putting on tattoes

**
"tracks" = another term for (hair) weave

**
"weaves" = "a form of hair extensions. often used by black women, and celebrites. it's woven, or glued, into the hair from the track"... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=weave by yay area baby October 19, 2005

****
This concludes Part III of this three part series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment