Translate

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Haitian band Nu Look - "Confessions" (information, lyrics, & video)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post presents information about the Haitian band "Nu Look" and showcases the Nu Look video entitled "Confessions".

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Arly Larivierre, soloist for Nu Look, and the entire Nu Look band. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. In addition, thanks to the producer of this video and its publisher on YouTube.

Special thanks to Alton for transcribing the lyrics to this song on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3VVmPB7xy0

****
EXCERPT OF INTERVIEW WITH ARLY LARIVIERRE
From https://haitianhollywood.com/haitian-celebs/item/arly-larivierre.html Interview with "Arly Larivierre
"Birthplace: Cap-Haitien Haiti
Biography
Arly Larivierre, born in Cap-Haitien Haiti, is a Haitian singer-songwriter, musician, record producer and leader of the konpa band “Nu Look”. Arly Larivierre’s father Daniel Larivierre was the lead singer and composer for the great Haitian band Tropicana D’Haiti. ….

He later migrated to the US, where he resides in Florida and was briefly part of the group D-zine in the late 90′s. In 2000, he joined forces with Gazzman Pierre and formed the band “Nu Look” which became one of the greatest duo in the HMI history books. Nu Look has become a reference in the Haitian music industry. During the last 13 years of Nu Look’s existence, under the leadership of Arly Lariviere as their Maestro and main composer, Nu look has successfully enlisted themselves in the hearts and soul of most konpa lovers, with mega hit songs, such as “Loving You”, “Why Do You Say You Love Me”, and “Notre Histoire” “Wasn’t meant to be” “A qui la faute” among others. Arly Larivierre has grown to be one of the most prolific Haitian composer of this generation.

With the sudden departures of Nu Look’s last two lead vocalists, Gazzman Pierre and Pipo Edersse Stanis, Arly is about to undertake one of the biggest challenge of his musical career; being the sole lead singer since the formation of Nu Look, over 13 years ago. The “iGotThis” album is about to be released in less than 24 hours, Arly Larivierre, sat with HB to discuss his upcoming album “iGotThis” and what it means to him….
AL- First I wanted to clear any confusion about the title of the album “iGot This” because many people see the statement “I am Arly Lariviere” “iGot This” and that wasn’t the idea. Rather it’s a statement showing that I am taking on the responsibility of Nu Look to ensure that the band is here for years to come… I have gotten a lot of advice from fellow lead singers in the industry that I have very good relationships with, and they broke it down for me very simply. They pretty much made me see that if I didn’t take on the role as lead singer, Nu Look would continue to have these problems. They went on to explain, that it’s one thing for there to be a lead singer in front of Nu Look and me on the side playing the keyboard, but it turns into a completely different situation every time I start singing “Oh Papa Bondieu” or “Si Se Yon Mal” and the crowd goes crazy with their arms wide open, while the lead singer of the band, is just left there feeling out of place or neglected. They will always have a problem with that and it’s okay for them to feel that way because at the end of the day, they are human. We all are. This made perfect sense to me and I knew that being the lead singer was the route that I had to take....

HB- How would you describe your personal style?
AL- If we are looking at the music that I have sang in the past you would say love songs. But the music I write in general is made to touch on real-life experiences that people go through every day, whether it be between friends, or lovers, or business. It’s about the world that we live in today.

HB- If your life was comparable to any of your love songs, which song would it be?
AL- All of them!!! ha ha ha ha!!! “...

****
LYRICS: CONFESSIONS
(Arly Larivierre)

Verse I
Se ou sèlman ki konnen sa m sakrifye pou nou.
Tout moun ap kritike m, menm fanmi m yo arive nye m.
Relatyon " à long terme" projè n yo "à court terme".
Sèl sa k'ape kenbe m se konfyans mwen mete nan lanmou.

Chorus I
Gen de jou mwen pè mwen dekouraje,
se komsi m'ape mache tou sèl
nan yon enpas "sans issue".
L'amour ne se paie que par l'amour, se sa yo di.
Se sèl espwa mwen genyen
se la m pwize fòs pou m kontinye.

Verse II
Mwen refize dakò ak opinyon piblik,
ki di ke de "nos jours " konpromi ranplase lanmou.
Kotidyen m pa fasil, " aimer c'est prendre un risque ".
Ou vle di twòp pou mwen, sèl chwa m se ale jiskobou.

[Chorus I] X

Bridge
Se plis jou ap pase, plis anksyete m ape grandi,
se plis ou enpòtan pou mwen, plis mwen gen " à perdu".
Mwen p'ap "baisser les bras" m deside ale jiskobou
pou si nou pa ta reyisi pou mwen pa di "what if".

Se ou sèl ki konnen reyalite lavi n
Se ou sèl ki konnen sa kotidyen n ye
X 2

[Bridge] X

Chorus II - 1
Jan mwen ògèye mwen p'at panse se te posib,
Ou fè mwen aksèpte "le peu" de sa ou ka ban mwen.
Yo rele m egare, o m merite pi plis ke sa.
Mwen pa di "le contraire" men se sa ki fè m kontan.

Chorus II - 2
Nou mèt pase lontan "ap pale",
nou mèt pase "des heures" eksplike n,
nou p'ap ka konprann mwen
paske sikonstans an nou pa menm.
Nou mèt pase ane, nou mèt pase "des ans" eksplike n,
nou p'ap ka konprann mwen
paske sikonstans an nou pa menm.

Chorus II - 1(a)
Jan mwen ògèye mwen p'at panse se te posib,
ou fè mwen aksèpte "le peu" de sa ou ka ban mwen.
Yo rele m egare, o m merite pi plis ke sa.
Mwen pa di "le contraire" men respekte desizyon m.
-snip-
*This transcription is from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3VVmPB7xy0 NU LOOK "Confessions" (PAWOL)
Anton channel, Published on Aug 23, 2014

****
ENGLISH TRANSLATION* - CONFESSIONS
(Arly Larivierre)

Verse I
Only you know what I sacrificed for us.
Everyone will criticize me, even my family arrivals disown me.
Relatyon "long terme" we project "A court terme".
Only this k'ape keep me my confidence placed in love.

Chorus I
Some days I'm afraid I discouraged
In effect m'ape walk single
at an impasse "sense Issue".
Love is repaid by love payroll, so they say

It is the only hope I have
there I tap the strength to continue.

Verse II
I refuse to agree with public opinion,
saying that two "these days" compromises replace love.
Daily I not easy, " love is to take a risk. "
You mean too much to me, my only choice is to go jiskobou.

[Chorus I] X

Bridge
It is more the days go more my anxiety yells grow,
is much important for me, plus I have "versus wasted."
I will "give up" I decided to go jiskobou
for if we did not succeed to me by saying "What If".

Only you know reality Lives
Only you know that everyday we are
X 2

[Bridge] X

Chorus II - 1
How proud I p'at I think it was possible,
Or do I accept "the little" of what you can give me.
They called me foolish, oh I deserve more than that.
I say "as contrary" but what makes me happy

Chorus II - 2
We can spend long "talking"
ye than "some hours" we explained,
we will be able to understand me
circumstances because we do not even.
We can spend years, we may pass "some years" we explained,
we will be able to understand me
circumstances because we do not even.

Chorus II - 1(a)
How proud I p'at I think it was possible,
you accept "the little" of what you can give me.
They called me foolish, oh I deserve more than that.
I say "as contrary" but I respect the decision.

-snip-
*This is Google Translate's translation of Haitian Creole & French words to English. Most of the lyrics for this song are Haitian Creole (Kreyol) and a few of the lyrics are in French. Google translate didn't give translations for a few other words and phrases. Additions and corrections are welcome.

For example. Google translate indicated that the word "jiskabou" was Haitian Creole, but didn't give any English translation for that. I did a Google search for that word but that search resulted in websites about the color "red". I also found a video of the group Barikad Crew performing a song entitled "Jiskobou".

Does "jiskobou" mean something like a red rage (stark raging mad/crazy?)

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO
Nu Look - Confessions - Official Video



Your Zouk TV, Published on Aug 29, 2014
-snip-
This record was released in 2013.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. "Jiskobou" I believe I means " till the end ". He's taking the relationship to the very end, he's going in all the way. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete