Translate

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Seven Examples Of The Gospel Song "I Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases seven YouTube examples of the African American Gospel song "I Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody". This song is also known as "What The Lord Has Done For Me" and "Couldn't Keep It To Myself". Song lyrics and information about Alex Bradford (Prof. Alex Bradford), the composer of this song, are also given in this post.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Alex Bradford, the composer of this song. Thanks also to all those who are featured in these videos and all those who are quoted in this post. Additional thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT PROFESSOR ALEX BRADFORD
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Bradford
"Alex Bradford (January 23, 1927 – February 15, 1978) (professionally known as Professor Alex Bradford) was a multi-talented gospel composer, singer, arranger and choir director, who was an influence on artists such as Little Richard, Bob Marley and Ray Charles, and who helped bring about the modern mass choir movement in gospel.

Born in Bessemer, Alabama, USA, he first appeared on stage at the age of four, then joined a children's gospel group at the age of 13, soon obtaining his own radio show. He organized another group after his mother sent him to New York City following a racial incident; he continued singing after returning to attend the Snow Hill Institute in Snow Hill, Alabama, where he acquired the title "Professor" while teaching as a student.

He moved to Chicago in 1947, where he worked briefly with Roberta Martin and toured with Mahalia Jackson, then struck out on his own with his own group, the Bradford Singers, followed by another group, the Bradford Specials. He recorded his first hit record, "Too Close To Heaven" (1954), billed as Professor Alex Bradford and his singers, sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc,[1] then followed it with a number of other successes in the rest of the decade."...
-snip-
Alex Bradford was African American.

****
LYRICS- I SAID I WASN'T GONNA TELL NOBODY
(written by- Professor Alex Bradford)

Verse 1
(I said I wasn't gonna tell nobody but I)
couldn't keep it to myself (3x).
(I said I wasn't gonna tell nobody but I)
couldn't keep it to myself, what the Lord has done for me.

Chorus
You ought to been there, (when He) saved my soul.
You ought to been there, (when He put my) name on the roll
(Then I) started walking,
(I) started talking,
(I) started singing,
(I) started shouting
about what the Lord has done for me.

* additional words: run for Jesus, shout for joy, tell my motherThank y

Source: ttp://www.music-lyrics-gospel.com/gospel_music_lyrics/said_i_wasnt_gonna_tell_nobody_1098.asp

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLES
With the exception of the first sound file of Alex Bradford and the Abyssinian Choir, these examples are given in chronological order based on their publishing date on YouTube, with the oldest example given next.

Example #1: Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody -Alex Bradford



lordrose61, Published on Feb 18, 2013

****
Example #2: Mahalia Jackson - I Couldn't Keep It To Myself



Taddypoe, Uploaded on Apr 4, 2007

Another gem by the Queen of Gospel. Sorry for the poor sound/video quality.

****
Example #3: Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody (Couldn't Keep it To Myself)



Karim Lewis, Uploaded on May 8, 2011

Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody (Couldn't Keep it To Myself) Performed by Full Gospel Church Of God #3 Choir On May 1. 2011

****
Example #4: I Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody - Gospel Legends Volume 1 Bobby Jones



Pannellctp Traditional Gospel Music Uploaded on Apr 25, 2011

****
Example #5: Mt. Zion Kalamazoo - Couldn't Keep It To Myself 4-29-2012



nella271's channel, Published on Apr 30, 2012

Mt. Zion Baptist Church Kalamazoo
Roxie Perkins, lead vocal
Band: Debra L. Perry- keys, Tiffany Pearson-drums, Stephanie Prevo-percussion, Lucretia Stinson-flute, Mitch Myers-guitar, James Cutts-bass, and Larry D. Allen-B3
Dr. Addis Moore, Pastor - Mt. Zion Kalamazoo [Michigan]

****
Example #6: Brown Baptist Youth Choir singing Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody



skeeter bop, Published on May 20, 2012

****
Example #7: Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody [Live]



GaitherVEVO, Published on Feb 7, 2013

Music video by Bill & Gloria Gaither performing Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody (feat. Angie Primm) [Live]. (P) (C) 2013 Spring House Music Group. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is a violation of applicable laws. Manufactured by EMI Christian Music Group,


Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment