Translate

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Jessy Dixon - "He Has Done Great Things" (sound file & lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the Jessy Dixon song "He Has Done Great Things" (also known as "He Has Done Great Things For Me"). Information about Jessy Dixon is also included in this post.

This post includes my transcription of Jessy Dixon's song "He Has Done Great Things" from the sound file that is featured in this post.

Note that there are other Gospel songs with this same title.
and some other websites purport to give lyrics to Jessy Dixon's "He Has Done Great Things", but those lyrics don't match the words that are sung in the record that is featured below.

The content of this post is presented for religious and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Jessy Dixon for his musical legacy. Thanks also to the publisher of this sound file of this song which is featured in this post.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT JESSY DIXON
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessy_Dixon
"Jessy Dixon (March 12, 1938 – September 26, 2011) was an American gospel music singer, songwriter, and pianist, with success among audiences across racial lines. He garnered seven Grammy award nominations during his career.

Musicians with whom he worked include Paul Simon, Andrae Crouch, DeGarmo & Key and most recently Bill Gaither in the Homecoming series of concerts. He wrote songs for Amy Grant, Natalie Cole, Cher, and Diana Ross.[1]

Dixon was an ordained minister with Calvary Ministries International of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Born in San Antonio, Texas, Dixon sang and played his first song at the age of five. As a youngster he moved to Chicago, where he was discovered by James Cleveland, one of the first artists to sing and record Jessy Dixon's compositions, "God Can Do Anything But Fail," and "My God Can Make A Way."...

****
LYRICS: HE HAS DONE GREAT THINGS
(Jessy Dixon)

Chorus
He has done great things for me
He has done great things for me
He’s done great things
He’s done great things
He has done great things for me

[repeat entire chorus]

Verse 1
I am so glad upon that day
When Jesus washed my sins away
He broke the chains
And set me free
He has done great things for me.

Chorus

Verse 2
You know that Satan, he had me bound
But the love of Jesus
Turned me around
And he broke the chains
And He set me free
He has done great things for me

He’s done great things
He done great things
Well He gave me joy
(He’s done great things)
And peace of mind
(He’s done great things)
A friend like that
(He’s done great things)
Is hard to find
(He’s done great things)
He has done great things for me.

He’s been a shine in my life
(He’s done great things)
When I need a friend
(He’s done great things)
He’s always there
(He’s done great things)
And all He has
(He’s done great things)
Is mine to share
(He’s done great things)
He has done great things for me.

I gotta tell everybody that
I’m grateful
And I’m thankful
And I appreciate all the great things
He’s done so many great things
He has done great things for me.
And I’m thankful
I’m mighty grateful
I appreciate all the great things
And the small things are great things
He has done great things

[recording fades out]
-snip-
This transcription is by Azizi Powell from the recording. These lyrics don't ascribe parts to the lead singer and choir. Additions and corrections are welcome for this transcription.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLE: Jessy Dixon-He Has Done Great Things



HarmonyCentral, Published on Sep 22, 2013

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I've loved this song since I first happened upon a vinyl record of Jesse Dixon's songs in the 1980s.

    The tune to Jessy Dixon's "He Has Done Great Things" sounds like some form of Caribbean music to me. But I can't put my finger on which type of Caribbean music it is. Does anyone else think this?

    ReplyDelete