Translate

Friday, September 11, 2015

The "Who Jah (God) Bless, No Man Curse" Line In Two Sizzla (Reggae) Songs

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases two songs by Reggae singer Sizzla that contain the line "Who Jah bless, no man curse". Those two songs are "Rasta Bless" and "Solid As A Rock"

This post is part of a pancocojams series of songs that include the line "Who Jah (God) bless, no man curse. Other songs in this series are:
Bob Marley- "Who The Cap Fits" http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-who-jah-god-bless-no-man-curse-line.html)

I-sasha -"Who Jah Bless" (Reggae) http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-who-jah-god-bless-no-man-curse-line_95.html

and Iyanya - "Kukere" (Afrobeat). http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/iyanya-nigerian-afrobeat-song-kukere.html.

Lyrics for all of these songs except "Jah Bless" are also included in these posts.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

This is only a sampling of songs that include "Who Jah bless, no man curse'" etc. or "Who God bless, no man curse".

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Sizzla for his musical legacy. Thanks also to the publisher of these sound files on YouTube, the transcriber of these lyrics, and all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLES
Example #1: sizzla - solid as a rock



toems bundy, Uploaded on Aug 14, 2008
-snip-
Here's information about Sizzla from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sizzla
"Sizzla Kalonji, or simply Sizzla (born Miguel Orlando Collins, 17 April 1976, Kingston, Jamaica) is a reggae musician. He is one of the most commercially and critically successful contemporary reggae artists and is noted for his high number of releases.[1] As of 2014 he has released over 70 solo albums."

Sizzla was born in Kingston to devout Rastafari movement parents.[2] Like them Sizzla subscribes to the Bobo Ashanti branch of the Rastafari movement...

Career
Kalonji witnessed a dancehall explosion, and with the music came the lifestyle: drugs, guns, and "slackness" (vulgarity).[4] Formally adopting the Rastafari faith, with its advocacy of repatriation to Africa and its use of cannabis, he joined the ranks of the Bobo Shanti in the mid-1990s.

Sizzla began to develop his own style whilst serving his musical apprenticeship with the Caveman Hi-Fi sound system.[5] He has used his music as a vehicle for his message, kickstarting his recording career in 1995 with a release through the Zagalou label"...

****
LYRICS: SOLID AS A ROCK
(Sizzla)

[Intro:]
Oh ah oh ah yay! Oooh oooh oooh oooh oooh, yeah ay yeah ay!

[Verse 1:]
They can't keep a good man down
Always keep a smile when they want me to frown
Keep the vibes and they stood my grounds
They will never ever take my crown
Who Jah bless I say no man curse
Things gettin better when they thought it would be worst
Here comes the officers askin for a search, they found no weapon just only a draw of herbs

[Hook:]
Cause I'm so solid as a rock they just can't stop me now
Even when they set their traps they just can't stop me now
People will say this and that they just can't stop me now
Even when theyset up road blocks they just can't stop me now

[Verse 2:]
When they come with they evilest thoughts I just listen whenever they talk
Jah is the light into my dark, he cut and clear all my paths
They fight without a cause tryin to make my life so hard
The king of kings and the lord of lords, giveth all rewards

[Hook:]
I'm so solid as a rock they just can't stop me now
Even when they set their traps they just can't stop me now
People will say this and that they just can't stop me now
Even when they set up road blocks they just can't stop me now

[Verse 3:]
So don't you mix me up with your dirty games, you’re only tryin to tarnish my name
Your only lookin for the innocent to blame, when you’re the ones who issue the guns down the lane
You only cause dysfunction and frame, but the right ones believe in the reign
Love is all I got to give and I'm not ashamed, lookin towards the future this lie can't tame

[Hook:]
Cause I'm so solid as a rock and they just can't stop me now
Even when they set their traps they just can't stop me now
People will say this and that they just can't stop me now
Even when they set up road blocks they just can't stop me now

[Verse 1: until fade]
-snip-
From http://genius.com/2489855/Sizzla-solid-as-a-rock/Who-jah-bless-i-say-no-man-curse

This transcription includes corrections that were submitted by kaya.lah

****
Example #2: Sizzla - Rasta Bless



I LOVE REGGAE Uploaded on Nov 8, 2008

****
WHAT "WHO JAH BLESS NO MAN CURSE" MEANS
"Who Jah bless, no man curse" ("Who God bless, no man curse") means that no one can successfully curse (do evil toward) anyone who Jah (God) blesses (is treated very favorably by God) because that person is under God's protection.

These lyrics are based on the Old Testament Biblical passages Numbers 22:1 – 24:25. Those verses tell the story of Balak, king of Moab [who] hired Balaam to curse Israel, in order to save Moab, but God blessed Israel and cursed Moab. https://thatnextlevelthinking.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/no-one-can-curse-what-god-has-blessed/

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment