Translate

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Denise LaSalle- It Be's That Way Sometimes (example & lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part IV of a five part pancocojams series that showcases three African American songs and one Caribbean song that have a "that's life" theme. By "that's life themes" I mean songs which reflect and promote the value that some Black people and some non-Black people have of being stoic when bad things happen to them.

Part V showcases Denise LaSalle's 1985 recording of the song "It Be's That Way Sometime".

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/nina-simone-it-bes-that-way-sometimes.html for Part I of this series. That post showcases Nina Simone's 1967 record "It Be's That Way" and includes a listing of and comments about "That's life" sayings.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/jimmy-cliff-thats-way-life-goes-example.html for Part II of this series. Part II showcases Jimmy Cliff's 1969 record "That’s The Way Life Goes."

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/joe-simon-it-bes-that-way-sometimes.html for Part III of this series. Part III showcases Joe Simon's 1974 record "It Be's That Way Sometimes".

Those showcased songs are only a sampling of what I call "that's life" songs.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thank to the composer/s of this featured song and thanks to Denise LaSalle for her musical legacy. Thanks also to also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this example on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT DENISE LASALLE
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_LaSalle
"Ora Denise Allen (born July 16, 1939),[1] known by the stage name Denise LaSalle, is an American blues and R&B/soul singer, songwriter, and record producer who, since the death of Koko Taylor, has been recognized as the "Queen of the Blues."

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLE: Denise LaSalle- It Be's That Way Sometimes



1450 AM & 92.3 FM - The Sound Uploaded on Aug 26, 2011

****
LYRICS:
[As sung by Denise LaSalle]

[sung]
I’ve been abused and I’ve been misused.
And I’m mad as hell.
I’m sure nuff mad, y’all
[Spoken]
You see I met this man
And since the man was down and out
I figured all he needed was a good woman.
One who was willing to help him
And stand by his side and help him make it again.
I took him in
Bought him some fancy clothes.
And , ooh, honey, he was a fine hunk
after he got those clothes
I let him use my car every day
to drive around and look for a job.
But soon I found out he wasn’t even looking for no job.
He was out there lookin for women.
Well, he didn’t have to look too long.
“Cause I got a little help from my best friend.
I can tell you a lot about best friends, now.
When it comes down to your man,
You ain’t got no best friend.
Yousee, while I was out there workin hard every day
He and my best friend were messin around behind my back.
Mmpf!
I saw the two of them together.
I said “You mean to tell me after all that I’ve done for you
that y’all got the nerve enough to treat me like that.
You know what they told me?
They said “Denise, we sure didn’t mean to mess up your mind.
But you know, it just be's that way sometimes”.

[Sung]
Have you ever
wanted something
you just couldn’t have.
And have you ever heard
something funny.
and you just couldn’t laugh.
Oh-o you just couldn’t laugh.
Oh, and have you ever been hungry
But didn’t have one single dime.
Well, it be's that way sometimes.[female backup singers also sing this line]
Oh, it be's that way sometimes. [female backup singers also sing this line]
Have you ever loved somebody and knew that they didn’t love you
Oh, that’s so hard to bare.
And that someone that you love, they were in love with someone else too.
I tell ya that’s hard sometimes.
Have you ever been down and out
And almost out of your mind.
Well, it be's that way sometimes.
Well, it be's that way sometimes.[female backup singers also sing this line]
Well, it be's that way sometimes. [female backup singers also sing this line]
Woo!
I wonder if y’all know what I’m talkin about.
You see, life is a funny thing, y’all.
Life ain’t always too easy.

[Spoken]
But I knew that I’d find my way back on top.
You see I’m the kinda woman that you can’t keep down but for so long.
It wasn’t too long that I had gone out and found myself a good man
One who was givin me everything my heart desired.
He gave me a fine home, plenty money, beautiful clothes,
and all the jewelry that I wanted to wearupon this fine body.
And he gave me a lots of good lovin.
That’s what, that’s what it’s all about, anyway.
[small laugh] Cause you can have all those other things, but
if you haven’t got the good lovin, you ain’t got nothing.
But you know one thing?
I was walkin down the street and I met my old man,
my ex-old man, humpf
And my so-called best friend.
And they had the nerve to ask me for some money.
They came up to me talkin some stuff ‘bout
“Denise, you, you sure lookin good, girl.
Since you got everything goin in your favor,
why don’t you, ah, help us out a little bit.”
I said “You mean to tell me, you comin to me for a buck? No”.
And the man said “All those feelins that you say you used to have for me,
I know you still got some of them left.
So if you ever really loved me, you’ll help me out.”
I said “If you show me the way you came in, I’ll help you out"*
Now I’m glad it makes you feel bad to talk like this.
“Cause if it’s one thing I’m doin right now
Is I’m sure tryin to mess up your mind.
But let me tell you, honey
It be's that way sometimes.

[Sung]
Have you ever
wanted something
you just couldn’t have.
That ain’t no good now.
And have you ever
seen something funny.
and you just couldn’t laugh.
Oh-hat can be hard sometimes.
Oh, and have you ever been hungry
But didn’t have one single dime
Well, it be's that way sometimes.[female backup singers also sing this line]
Yeah it bes that way sometimes. [female backup singers also sing this line]
Yes, it can be kinda hard now.
I really know what I’m talkin about
It can be kinda hard
But you gotta keep on [?]
-snip-
Transcription by Azizi Powell from the recording. Additions and corrections are welcome.

*Thanks to Alvin E. (August 7, 2021) for correcting the lyrics I had mistakenly transcribed for this line.

****
This ends Part V of this series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitors' comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I said “If you show me the way, I’ll help you out [___?].

    It should say:

    "I said “If you show me the way you came in, I’ll help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your correction, Alvin E.

      I'll change it in this post.

      Best wishes!

      Delete