Translate

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Two Examples Of "Ride On King Jesus" (Ride On King Emmanuel)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post provides two examples of arrangements of the African American Spiritual "Ride On King Jesus" (with the second line: "Ride On King Emmanuel").

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/06/african-american-choir-directing-styles.html for examples of "Ride On King Jesus" (second line: "No man can hinder me" or "No Man can hinder Thee").

Also, click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/06/five-additional-ride-on-king-jesus.html for historical versions of this Spiritual.

The content of this post is provided for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks also to all of the choir directors, vocalists, and musicians who are featured in this post and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. In addition, thanks to the publishers of these YouTube videos.

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
Example #1: "Ride On King Jesus" - The Roberta Martin Singers feat, Roberta Martin



Emmanuel Jones, Uploaded on Jul 21, 2011

The Roberta Martin Singers
Ride On King Jesus
With the one and ONLY Roberta Martin on Lead
-snip-
I believe that Example #1 (which was recorded in 1947) is the oldest recording of this gospelized arrangement of "Ride On King Jesus" (second line "Ride On King Emmanuel").

"Gospelized Spirituals" is my term for Spirituals which are performed in a "gospelized" style. Contrast these "old school" gospelized styles with the much more contemporary styles of the arrangements that are showcased in the "Ride On King Jesus" renditions that are found in the pancocojams post whose link is given above.

Here are the lyrics to this arrangement*:

Chorus:
Lead: Ride On
Group- Ride On
Lead: King Jesus
Group-King Jesus
Lead- Ride On
Group- Ride On
Lead: King Emmanuel
Group-King Emmanuel
Lead- Ride On
Group- Ride On conquering King
Lead-I wanna go to heaven
Group - I wanna go to heaven in the morning

[repeat 2x]

Lead- Oh You're coming one day to carry me home
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning
Lead- When my trials are finished, no longer here I'll roam
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning

Lead- Well you came by one day and took my mother away
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning
Lead- And I promised I'd meet here on the resurrection day
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning

Chorus

Group- Ride on
Lead- I got a mother there
Group- Ride on
Lead- And a father there
Group- Ride on
Lead- And a sister there
Group- Ride on
Lead- I got to see them there
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning

Lead- Some times I'm up
Group -Ride on
Lead - Some times I'm down
Group- Ride On
Lead- Some times I'm almost
Group- Ride On
Lead- To the ground
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning

Lead- Some times sick
Group -Ride on
Lead - So distressed
Group- Ride On
Lead- Some times I'm so weary
Group- Ride On
Lead- I cannot rest
Group & Lead - I wanna go to heaven in the morning

Group- Ride on
Lead - Jesus
Group- Ride on
Lead - Jesus
Group- Ride on
Lead - Jesus
Group- Ride on
Lead - Jesus
Group- I wanna go to heaven in the morning

Lead: [Yes] Ride On
Group- Ride On
Lead: King Jesus
Group-King Jesus
Lead- Ride On
Group- Ride On
Lead: King Emmanuel
Group-King Emmanuel
Lead- Ride On
Group- Ride On conquering King
Lead-I wanna go to heaven
lead and group - In the morning
-snip-
*Transcription by Azizi Powell from this video. Additions & corrections welcome.

Here's a comment about the photograph that was used in this YouTube sound file:
Ronald Greer, 2013
"The photo is a 1947 photo [of the Roberta Martin Singers] prior to the passing of Sadie Durrah-Nolan. TOP: Roberta Martin, Willie Webb and Delois Barrett BOTTOM: Norsalus McKissick, Sadie Durrah Nolan, Bessie Folk and Eegene Smith"

****
Example #2: St. James Mass Choir - Ride On King Jesus, Ride On King Emmanuel



Marcel West, Uploaded on Dec 12, 2008

Mass Choir singing Ride On King Jesus, Ride On King Emmanuel.
-snip-
This arrangement is given without transcription

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


3 comments:

  1. beautiful, we did a version close to this in 1995 with Charles Wesley May at our Gospel-festival here in lüneburg - i will never forget ! thank's for these informations !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memory of performing "Ride On King Jesus".

      I looked up "Lüneburg" and learned this information:

      The 1,050-year-old town of Lüneburg is located between Hamburg and Hannover, and is one of the most fascinating places in northern Germany."... https://www.niedersachsen-tourism.com/destinations/cities-in-lower-saxony/lueneburg. It looks like a beautiful city.

      However, I wonder what you meant when you wrote that you sung a version of this song in 1995 with Charles Wesley as that hymn composer died in 1788. Is there another man named Charles Wesley who is an arranger or singer?

      Delete
    2. I revisited this pancocojams post and noticed that you wrote the name "Charles Wesley May" and not "Charles Wesley".

      I Google search and found this page https://www.discogs.com/artist/135846-Charles-May for the American Gospel singer Charles May.

      Please accept my apology for the confusion I had more than four years ago.

      Delete