Translate

Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Chi-Lites - Let Me Be The Man My Daddy Was (with lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post is Part III of a four part series on positive, non-religious African American songs about fathers. This post showcases the song "Let Me Be The Man My Daddy Was" by The Chi-Lites.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/06/luther-vandross-dance-with-my-father.html
for Part I of this post. Part I showcases "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-winstons-color-him-father-with.html for Part II of this series. Part II showcases the song "Color Him Father" by the Winstons.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/06/chariman-of-board-clarence-carter.html for Part IV of this series. Part IV showcases the song "Patches" as sung by Chairman Of The Board and as sung by Clarence Carter.

The content of this post is provided for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes

Thanks to Eugene Record and Barbara Acklin for composing this song. Thanks to The Chi-Lites for performing this song. Thanks also to the producer of this video, the transcribers of this song, and the publisher of this videos on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CHI-LITES
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chi-Lites
"The Chi-Lites (/ˈʃaɪlaɪts/ SHY-lyts) are a Chicago-based smooth soul vocal quartet from the early 1970s, one of the few from the period not to come from Memphis or Philadelphia. They were led by Eugene Record, and scored eleven Top Ten R&B hits from 1969 to 1974.

The group formed in the late 1950s when the Chanteurs (Record, Robert Squirrel Lester, and Clarence Johnson) teamed up with Marshall Thompson and Creadel "Red" Jones of the Desideros to form the Hi-lites. Wishing to add a tribute to their home town of Chicago, they changed their name to "Marshall and the Chi-Lites" in 1964. Johnson left later that year, and their name was subsequently shortened to The Chi-Lites.

Record was the group's primary songwriter, though he frequently collaborated with others, such as Barbara Acklin.

Their major hits came in 1971 and 1972, "Have You Seen Her" and "Oh Girl", the latter a #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 on 27 May 1972...

The group was inducted into the Rhythm and Blues Foundation in 2000 and Record made an appearance with the group on stage to perform and accept the award....

The group was inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2005, and were honored with an induction into the R&B Music Hall of Fame on August 17, 2013 at the Waetejen Auditorium in Cleveland."...

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLE: The Chi-Lites - Let Me Be The Man My Daddy Was



Adagiosoulb4flesh, Uploaded May 18, 2008

LYRICS: LET ME BE THE MAN MY DADDY WAS
(Eugene Record and Barbara Acklin)

He's worth more
Than every star in the sky
With that look of forgiveness
That's always in his eyes

He works so hard
But gentle as a lamb
He gave up so much
To make me just what I am and, oh

Oh, let me be
The man my daddy was
Oh, let me be
The man my daddy was

When I was young
Sometimes foolishly I played
But he reached out and, oh
Showed me the way

Now he's only human
And bound to make mistakes
But it was all right
By the moment I would awake and, oh

Oh, let me be
The man my daddy was
Oh, let me be
The man my daddy was

Sometimes I hope
I don't live to see the day
When he reaches down
And take them both away

And look at my children
Sometimes foolishly they play
Let me live long enough
Let me show them the way

My clothes were sometimes untidy
And that bed was never made
But mom and dad would scold me good
Never doubted I've made the grade

But now that I'm a man
I ask the Lord up above
Please let me raise my children right
And be the man my daddy was and, oh

Oh, let me be
The man my daddy was
Oh, let me be
The man my daddy was

He was a good man
He was a poor man
Oh, let me be

Source: http://www.metrolyrics.com/let-me-be-the-man-my-daddy-was-lyrics-the-chilites.html

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment