Translate

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Parliaments - "I Wanna Testify" and The Gospel Ayres - "I Wanna Testify"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the Parliament's 1967 Soul music hit "I Wanna Testify" and the Gospel Ayres 1975 religious "cover" of that song.

As background to that Gospel song, this post provides information and comments about the religious meaning of "testify" ("give a testimony") in African American churches and in other churches.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, religious, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks to the Parliaments for their musical legacy. Thanks also to The Gospel Ayers for their historical recording of this song. And thanks to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

****
WHAT "TESTIFY" MEANS IN THE PARLIAMENTS' SONG
In the context of that soul recording, "testify" means that the singer wants to publicly tell how much he loves the woman in his life. This use of testify is lifted from the religious use of that word.

****
WHAT "TESTIFYING IN CHURCH" MEANS
From http://theoldblackchurch.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-got-testimony.html "I Got A Testimony!
"Who remember those "Testimony Sunday Service" where you get the chance to share with your fellow brother and sisters the things God has been doing in your life or the life of someone you loved? Have the saints of God stop giving "Personal Testimonies" on Sunday morning, if so why? Each day we wake up that's a testimony in itself.

I am from the (First Missionary Baptist) traditional baptist church and I don't recall many testimonies during my early years. But I do remember visiting the COGIC on many of Sundays and you're sure to here from some sister or brother who had a testimony. I believe testimonies are very important because they offers others hope when it may seems hopeless. Testimonies help others who might be on the verge of giving up. With the crisis we are facing now we need to start encouraging each other more."
-snip-
This quote was reformatted to enhance its readability.

"Saints" = in the context of this quote means "members of the church; believers in Jesus Christ"

"COGIC" = Church of God In Christ, a predominately African American Pentecostal denomination
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/what-testify-giving-testimony-means-in.html
for more definitions and comments about testifying (giving a testimony) in church.

****
SHOWCASE SONG: The Parliaments I Wanna Testify



GlassOrchidAftermath, Published on Jan 25, 2010 [1967]

The Parliaments "I Wanna Testify" #3 on Billboard R&B charts in 1967. Track features George Clinton prior to Funkadelic, Parliament, etc. Revilot Records RV 207.
-snip-
From http://www.amazon.com/Testify-Best-Early-Years-Parliaments/dp/B00004SV7H
“The Parliaments, which later evolved into Funkadelic and Parliament, consisted of George Clinton, Fuzzy Haskins, Ray Davis, Grady Thomas and Calvin Simon... Funkier and more polished versions of (I Wanna) Testify, All Your Goodies Are Gone, The Goose That Laid The Golden Egg, Good Old Music, Baby I Owe You Something Good and That Was My Girl would eventually be recorded by Funkadelic and/or Parliament. However, there is something very special about the rawer Temptations-like versions of these songs and the other songs on this CD. It captures an era and it provides PFunk fans a listen to the early stages of George Clinton's incredibly diverse and ever evolving music.”

****
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(I_Wanna)_Testify
"(I Wanna) Testify" is the first hit single by the Detroit soul singing group The Parliaments. The single was released at the beginning of the summer of 1967 by Revilot Records. The single went to #3 on Billboard R&B chart and #20 on the Pop chart.[1] It would be the only major hit for the group for the entire decade. The only member of the Parliaments to actually appear on the recording was group leader George Clinton, as the group was based in New Jersey at the time and only Clinton was able to travel to Detroit for the session. The recording was rounded off by session singers and musicians.

"(I Wanna) Testify" was reissued in 1969 on the Soultown label (Soultown 502-A). It was issued in Canada on the Transworld label (TW-1677) and on the Track label (Track 604032) in the UK. The first time that the single appeared on an album was the Track Records release Backtrack 6 in 1970 (Track 2407 006).

Group leader George Clinton later produced remakes of both "(I Wanna) Testify" and its B-side "I Can Feel The Ice Melting". The former appeared on the 1974 Parliament album Up For The Down Stroke under the abbreviated title "Testify"."
-snip-
"wanna" = "want to"
Click http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_parliaments/i_wanna_testify.html

“Everybody sing, I just wanna testify
Oh girl, what your love has done for me”

****
SHOWCASE GOSPEL SONG
the gospel ayres - i wanna testify - contour.wmv



Kenneth Aitchison, Published on Jun 3, 2012 [I Wanna Testify (1975)]

****
LYRICS - I WANNA TESTIFY
(The Gospel Ayres)

I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me
I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me

He brought me from a mighty long way
He brought me from a mighty long way
And I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me

[Repeat all the above lyrics several times]

I just wanna testify
how He made the blind man see
He built the foundation
Made everything plain
He made a sinner like me ashamed
I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me
I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me…

[VAMP]
Lead- I wanna testify
Choir - (Testify)
I wanna testify
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how He brought me. I’m gonna
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how he taught me, I’m gonna
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how He made me, I’m gonna
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how He saved me, I’m gonna
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how He feeds me, I’m gonna
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how He leads me, I’m gonna
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how He helps me, I’m gonna
(Testify)
How He never left me
(Testify)
Do you wanna testify
(Testify)
Do you wanna testify
(Testify)
Do you wanna testify
(Testify)
Do you wanna testify
(Testify)
Another lead – I wanna testify
(Testify)
I wanna testify
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how You brought me, Lord.
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how You taught me, Lord.
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how You made me, Lord
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how You saved me, Lord
(Testify)
Testify bout how You fed me, Lord
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how You led me, Lord
(Testify)
Testify ‘bout how You kept me, Lord
Never, never left me, Lord
(Testify)
Do you wanna testify
(Testify)
Do you wanna testify
(Testify)
And I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me
I just wanna testify
what the Lord has done for me...
-snip-
Transcription by Azizi Powell from that recording. Additions and corrections are welcome.

Information about the Gospel Ayres from http://thriftyvinyl.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/the-gospel-ayers-i-wanna-testify-contour-2870-448-1975/
"....this...choral album is a great example of soul influencing gospel rather than the other way around, especially in the rhythm section where the electric bass and drums are that much louder. Comprised of US Air Force personel stationed at an RAF base in the UK (?!), there’s plenty of traditional material and enough of a hint of Good God! funk on I Wanna Testify to satisfy gospel and soul purists respectively.

The Gospel Ayres were comprised of United States Air Force personnel who were stationed at a Royal Air Force base in England during the 1970s. During their stay in England they played a number of concerts and made a couple of television appearances."
-snip-
The "ayres" portion of the name "The Gospel Ayres" is a creative nod to their affiliation with the US Air Force (ayes=airs). That name is probably also a homage to the use of the suffix “aires” in the name of the once very popular African American Gospel quartet "The Jubaliares". Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jubalaires for information about that group.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment