Translate

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mississippi John Hurt - "I Shall Not Be Moved" (with lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases Bluesman Mississippi John Hurt singing the early Gospel song "I Shall Not Be Moved". The lyrics to this version of this song is also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for religious and aesthetic purposes.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SONG
"I Shall Not Be Moved" is a late 19th century or early 20th century African American Gospel song. This song and other African American early Gospel songs & Spirituals have a words that can easily be exchanged which facilitate their use for multiple situations. These types of compositions are known as "zipper songs". Because of that characteristic, the title of the religious song "I Shall Not Be Moved" was changed to "We Shall Not Be Moved" and different adaptations of this song were sung at pro-union rallies and at civil rights rallies & marches.

Similarly, the religious song "I'll Overcome" was retitled "We Shall Overcome" and versions of that song were sung at union rallies & at civil rights marches & rallies. The tunes for those religious song were retained. But often the tempo of the religious song became faster for its secular adaptations.

Click https://austinbhebe.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/i-shall-not-i-shall-not-be-moved/ for more comments about the song "I Shall Not Be Moved". My only disagreement with the editor of that blog is that he or she describes "I Shall Not Be Moved" as an American folk song. That said, technically all African American Spirituals and early Gospel songs which have no known composers can be considered American folk songs.

****
LYRICS - I SHALL NOT BE MOVED
(As sung by Mississippi John Hurt)

Chorus:
Oh I shall not, I shall not be moved.
I shall not, I shall not be moved.
Just like a tree that's planted by the water,
I shall not be moved.

Guitar instrumental

Verse: I’m on my way to heaven,
I shall not be moved.
On my way to heaven,
I shall not be moved.
Just like a tree that's planted by the water,
I shall not be moved.

Chorus

Verse: Oh preacher, I shall not be moved.
Oh preacher, I shall not be moved.
Just like a tree planted by the water,
I shall not be moved.

Guitar instrumental

Verse: I’m sanctified and holy I shall not be moved.
sanctified and holy I shall not be moved.
Just like a tree planted by the water,
I shall not be moved.

Chorus: Oh I [guitar completes this phrase], I shall not be moved.
I shall not, I shall not be moved.
Just like a tree planted by the water,
I shall not be moved.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLE: i shall not be moved - Mississippi John Hurt



hirkyjerkyUploaded on Oct 9, 2009

****
Thanks to the composers of this song & all those who have sung it for religious, civil rights, and workers rights reasons.

Thanks to Mississippi John Hurt for his musicial legacy. Also, thanks to the publisher of this soundfile on YouTube.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitors comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment