Translate

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Henry Thomas - Fishin' Blues

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the song "Fishin Blues" as performed by that song's original composer Henry Thomas. Information about Henry Thomas and lyrics to this song are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
FEATURED EXAMPLE

Henry Thomas - Fishin' Blues



MadnessInLivingColor, Published on Jul 1, 2012

For listening purposes only.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT HENRY THOMAS
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Thomas_(blues_musician)

"Henry Thomas (born 1874, Big Sandy, Texas – died 1930) was an American country blues singer, songster and musician, who enjoyed a brief but notable recording career in the late 1920s.[1][2] Often billed as "Ragtime Texas", Thomas bridged 19th and 20th century styles, providing the basis for what later became known as Texas blues guitar.[3][4]

...Thomas's legacy has been sustained by his songs, which were revived by musicians beginning in the folk music revival of the early 1960s...one of Thomas's best-known tunes [is] "Fishin' Blues...

Thomas's song "Fishin' Blues" was recorded by the US folk-rock group Lovin' Spoonful in 1965, appearing on their hit debut album Do You Believe in Magic?.[7] The song was recorded three years later, in 1968, by blues musician Taj Mahal for one of his first albums, De Old Folks at Home and has since been released on many of Taj Mahal's greatest hits compilations.[8][9] The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band also covered the song on their album Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Volume III in 2002.[10]

****
LYRICS - FISHIN BLUES
(Henry Thomas)

Went up on the hill about twelve o'clock.
Reached right back and got me a pole.
Went to the hardware and got me a hook.
Attached that line right on that hook.
Says you've been a-fishin' all the time.
I'm a-goin' fishin' too.

I bet your life, your lovin' wife.
Can catch more fish than you.
Any fish bite if you've got good bait.
Here's a little somethin' I would like to relate.
Any fish bite, you've got good bait.
I'm a-goin' a-fishin', yes, I'm a-goin' a-fishin',
I'm a-goin' a-fishin' too.

Looked down the river about one o'clock.
Spied this catfish swimmin' around.
I've got so hungry, didn't know what to do.
I'm gonna get me a catfish too.

Yes, you've been fishin' all the time.
I'm a-goin' a-fishin' too.
I bet your life your lovin' wife.
Catch more fish than you.
Any fish bite, got good bait.
Here's a little somethin' I would like to relate.
Any fish bite, you've got good bait.
I'm a-goin' a-fishin', yes, I'm goin' a-fishin',
I'm a-goin' a-fishin' too.

Put on your skillet, don't never mind your lead.
Mama gonna cook 'em with the short'nin' bread.
Says you been fishin' all the time.
I'm a-goin a-fishin' too.
I bet your life, your lovin' wife.
Can catch more fish than you.
Any fish bite, if you've got good bait.
Here's a little somethin' I would like to relate.
Any fish bite, you've got good bait.
I'm a-goin' a-fishin', yes, I'm goin' a-fishin',
I'm a-goin' a-fishin' too.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/electricapricotquestforfesteroo/fishingblues.htm

****
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/04/taj-mahal-fishin-blues.html for a post about "Fishin Blues" as sung by Taj Mahal.

****
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND THANKS
Thanks to Henry Thomas for his musical legacy. My thanks also to the producer of this sound file and its publisher on YouTube.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment