Translate

Monday, November 19, 2012

Three Gospel Versions of "Jesus Lover Of My Soul"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases Gospel interpretations of the song "Jesus Lover Of My Soul" by the Reverend James Cleveland & The Voices of Cornerstone Church Choir, The Edwin Hawkins Singers, & the Les Humphries Singers. This post also includes the lyrics of that song as composed by Charles Wesley, lyrics as sung by the Les Humphries Singers. In addition, this post included general information about the hymn "Jesus, Lover Of My Soul", as well as brief information about the featured vocalists of these three Gospel interpretations of that hymn.

The content of this post is presented for religious, historical, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT "JESUS LOVER OF MY SOUL"
From http://biblestudycharts.com/HH_Jesus_Lover_of_My_Soul.html

Note: This website includes an instrumental sound file of this hymn as it is often performed & sung.

Of the 6500 hymns written by Charles Wesley, this is generally considered to be his finest. It is still found in nearly every published hymnal and has been translated into almost every known language. It is interesting to note, however, that when Charles first presented this text to his brother, John for approval, it was rejected as being too sentimental. It was not until after the author’s death that the song came into general use. It was first published in 1740 in a collection of 139 hymns know as Hymns and Sacred Poems.
-snip-
Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wesley for information about Charles Wesley.
****
LYRICS: JESUS LOVER OF MY SOUL
(Charles Wesley)

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity. Amen
****
ONE INTERPRETATION OF THE HYMN "JESUS LOVER OF MY SOUL" BY CHARLES WESLEY
There are a number of tunes used for the hymn "Jesus Lover Of My Soul". Here's a sound file of one way of singing this hymn:

Jesus, Lover of my Soul



sesamonte, Uploaded on Nov 2, 2008

A Christian hymn written by Charles Wesley in 1740. The tune used in this rendition is by Joseph Holbrook (1862). Sung by Altar of Praise Chorale.
****
FEATURED GOSPEL EXAMPLES
These examples are presented in chronological order.

Example #1: Jesus, Lover Of My Soul - Edwin Hawkins Singers



vijaypush, Uploaded on Jan 20, 2011

Groupe célèbre pour leur extraordinaire interprétation de "Oh! Happy Day"
-snip-
Here is information about the Edwin Hawkins Singers from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hawkins
Edwin Hawkins (born 18 August 1943, Oakland, California) is a Grammy Award-winning American gospel and R&B musician, pianist, choir master, composer, and arranger. He is one of the originators of the urban contemporary gospel sound. He (and the Edwin Hawkins Singers) are best known for his arrangement of "Oh Happy Day" (1968–69), which was included on the Songs of the Century list...

Altogether Hawkins has won four Grammy Awards...

In 2007, Hawkins was inducted into the Christian Music Hall of Fame and attended the formal awards show in 2009.
****
Example #2: Les Humphries Singers - Jesus Lover of my Soul 1970



fritz51326, Uploaded on Jan 24, 2009

Les Humphries Singers - Jesus Lover of my Soul 1970

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.

Hide me in your heart in your heart
Till the storm of happiness;
Safe me to my heaven's God
and receive my soul at last
and receive my soul at last.

Hide me in your heart in your heart
Till the storm of happiness;
Safe me to my heaven's God
and receive my soul at last
and receive my soul at last.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.

Hide me in your heart in your heart
Till the storm of happiness;
Safe me to my heaven's god
and receive my soul at last
and receive my soul at last.

Hide me in your heart in your heart
Till the storm of happiness;
Safe me to my heaven's god
and receive my soul at last
and receive my soul at last.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Jesus, lover of my soul,
Jesus, lover of my soul,
Jesus, lover of my soul....
-snip-
Here is information about the Les Humphries Singers from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Humphries_Singers
The Les Humphries Singers was a 1970s musical group formed in Hamburg, Germany in 1969 by the English born Les Humphries (born John Lesley Humphreys, 10 August 1940, in Croydon, Surrey, England - died 26 December 2007, in Basingstoke, Hampshire, England), who had been inspired to do his own version of the Edwin Hawkins Singers... The Les Humphries Singers performed a mix of popular music and gospel covers and had some success in Europe with this approach...

The Les Humphries Singers at the time brought something from the flair of the hippie movement into contemporary German-produced (but English-sung) pop music, especially due to their mixed ethnic background and peculiar fashion sense...

Years active: 1969 – 1980
****
Example #3: "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" (1980)- Rev. James Cleveland and the Voices of Cornerstone.



JayEm86, Uploaded on Apr 21, 2009
-snip-
Here is information about Rev. James Cleveland from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cleveland
The Reverend Dr. James Cleveland (December 5, 1931 -February 9, 1991) was a gospel singer, arranger, composer and, most significantly, the driving force behind the creation of the modern gospel sound, bringing the stylistic daring of hard gospel and jazz and pop music influences to arrangements for mass choirs. He is known as the King of Gospel music.

Born in Chicago, he began singing as a boy soprano at Pilgrim Baptist Church, where Thomas A. Dorsey was minister of music and Roberta Martin was pianist for the choir. He strained his vocal cords as a teenager while part of a local gospel group, leaving the distinctive gravelly voice that was his hallmark in his later years. The change in his voice led him to focus on his skills as a pianist and later as a composer and arranger. For his pioneering accomplishments and contributions, he is regarded by many to be one of the greatest gospel singers to ever live.
****
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND THANKS
Thanks to the featured vocalists and musicians. Thanks also to those who posted online information about these vocalists and thanks to those who uploaded the videos and the lyrics to this song.

Finally, thank you for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment