Edited by Azizi Powell
Update: December 23, 2019
This is Part II of a compilation of all of the pancocojams posts about children's playground rhymes & singing games that were published on this blog in 2011 through 2013.
A total of 54 posts in this category were published on pancocojams during that period of time.
These lists have been prepared for archiving purposes and to raise public awareness about these posts.
Visitor comments and additions to these posts' discussion threads are still welcome.
Thanks to all those who have contributed to these posts.
Click these links for the archived lists of pancocojams posts of children's rhymes and singing games:
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/12/lists-of-pancocojams-posts-about_29.html Archived Lists Of Pancocojams Posts About Children's Playground Rhymes & Singing Games (Part I- 2011 through 2013)
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/12/lists-of-pancocojams-posts-about_30.html Archived Lists Of Pancocojams Posts About Children's Playground Rhymes & Singing Games (Part III-2017 through 2018)
Archived Lists Of Pancocojams Posts About Children's Playground Rhymes & Singing Games (Part IV-2019)
Most of these posts focus on playground rhymes and singing games that are (or were) performed by African American or other Black children or teens. In addition, these posts include English language rhymes and singing games from the United States that aren't of African American origin or weren't adapted by African Americans.
These posts also include English language rhymes/singing games from outside of the United States (particularly from the United Kingdom and some Caribbean nations). In addition, a few of these posts focus on non-English (language) children's rhymes and singing games.
These lists don't include pancocojams posts about children's (including teens) foot stomping cheers*. A separate archive list will be published for those posts.
These lists also don't include posts about children's (including teens') stomp & shake cheerleading cheers. Those posts will be included in upcoming archived lists of pancocojams posts about that form of cheerleading.
The posts that are included in these lists are only found on one pancocojams list although some of them could have (also) been added to this blog's upcoming lists on folk songs, or lists of word meanings, or lists of cultural commentary, etc.
For the purpose of these lists, "playground rhymes" include hand clap rhymes, jump rope rhymes, counting out rhymes etc. For the purpose of these lists, "singing games" include ring games (circle games) and line games that are performed with a song; children's parodies, play-party songs, and camp songs.
*Foot stomping cheers are a variant form of call & response compositions that are (or were) chanted performed by two or more people (usually African American girls from age 6 to around age 13 years old) while performing synchronized, choreographed routines. As such, they differ significantly from hand clap and jump rope rhymes which, to cite one difference, are almost always chanted in unison. The "Shabooya Roll Call" cheer which was popularized by the 2006 cheerleader movie Bring It On: All Or Nothing) is an adapted, exaggerated example of a foot stomping cheer.
LIST OF PANCOCOJAMS CHILDREN'S PLAYGROUND RHYMES AND GAME SONGS POSTS (2014 through 2016)
The URL for each of these posts is given along with the post's title and publishing date. However, these web addresses won't work as a hyperlink on this blog.
Numbers are assigned to posts within their publishing year for referencing purposes only.
1. Black Sorority Members' Memories Of Children's Risque Rhymes
January 1, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/01/black-sorority-members-memories-of.html
2. Children's Risque Rhymes - Nasty Nursery Rhymes
January 1, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/01/childrens-risque-rhymes-nasty-nursery.html
3. "My Mommy Sent Me To The Store" & What Ya Gonna Feed Him" Children's Rhymes
January 4, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-mommy-sent-me-to-store-what-ya-gonna.html
5. Examples Of "Shave And A HairCut" Children's Rhymes
January 4, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/01/examples-of-shave-and-haircut-childrens.html
5. Hand Clap Rhymes That Mention Mp3s, Cell Phones, HDTV, & Computers
January 13, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/01/hand-clap-rhymes-that-mention-mp3s-cell.html
6. Bill Cosby Show Hand Clap Segment (I Met My Boyfriend At The Candy Store)
January 20, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/01/bill-cosby-show-hand-clap-segment-i-met.html
7. "It's Not Because You're Dirty" Line In Apple On A Stick Rhymes
March 12, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-not-because-youre-dirty-line-in_12.html
8. Speculative Source For The Children's Rhyme "Hey ...How About A Date Meet Me At The Corner Bout Half Past Eight"
July 14, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/speculative-source-for-childrens-rhyme.html
9. Congotay Children's Game (words, play instructions, and comments)
March 10, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/03/congotay-childrens-game-words-play.html
10. "Alabama Gal" (Play-Party Song) videos and lyrics
February 26, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/examples-of-play-party-song-alabama-gal.html
11. A Partial List Of African American Play Party Songs
February 26, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/african-american-sources-of-various.html
12. A Partial List Of African American Play Party Songs
February 26, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/videos-of-great-big-house-in-new.html
13. Forms Of The Name "Billie Jean" In "Down By The Banks Of The Hanky Panky" Rhymes
April 1, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/04/forms-of-name-billie-jean-in-down-by.html
14. "Miss Mary Mack" - Sources, Theories, Early Versions, & Other Comments
March 26, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/03/miss-mary-mack-sources-theories-early.html
15. "Hey Hey Get Out Of My Way" (Examples & Comments)
March 31, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/03/hey-hey-get-out-of-my-way-examples.html
16. Chester (Have You Heard About Harry) lyrics & videos
May 8, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/05/chester-have-you-heard-about-harry.html
17. Examples Of "I've Never Been To College" & "I've Never Been To Frisco" Verses in Children's Rhymes
May 12, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/05/examples-of-ive-never-been-to-college.html
18. Similarities Between The African American Singing Game "The Closet Key" & The Nicaraguan Singing Game "Mayaya Las Im Key"
June 28, 2014
19. "Playmate" Rhymes & "I Don't Want To Go To Mexico" Rhymes That End With "Shut The Door"
July 3, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/playmate-rhymes-i-dont-want-to-go-to.html
20. The Probable Source For The "Shut The Door" Ending In "Say Say My Playmate" Hand Game
July 3, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/larry-grayson-source-for-shut-door.html
21. Children's Rhyme "Hey...How About A Date Meet Me At The Corner About Half Past Eight
July 13, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/childrens-rhyme-heyhow-about-date.html
22. Speculative Source For The Children's Rhyme "Hey ...How About A Date Meet Me At The Corner Bout Half Past Eight"
July 14, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/07/speculative-source-for-childrens-rhyme.html
23. "Policeman Don't Beat Me" And Other Examples Of Policemen Mentioned In Children's Recreational Rhymes
August 28, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/08/policeman-dont-beat-me-and-examples-of.html
24. "Gon' Knock John Booker To The Low Ground" (children's game song) comments, lyrics, & examples)
September 2, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/09/gon-knock-john-booker-to-low-ground.html
25. Children's Playground Rhymes About Shooting Someone Or Being Shot
September 18, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/09/childrens-playground-rhymes-about_18.html
26. Children's Playground Rhymes About Whippings (Spankings, Beatings)
September 18, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/09/childrens-playground-rhymes-about.html
27. Early Examples Of The Children's Rhyme "What's Your Name Puddin Tane"
November 20, 2014; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/11/early-examples-of-childrens-rhyme-whats.html
1. Examples Of "Eeny Meeny Miney Mo" In The United States, Part I
February 17, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/examples-of-eeny-meeny-miney-mo-in.html;
2. Examples Of " "Eeny Meeny Miney Mo" In The United States, Part II
February 17, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/examples-of-eeny-meeny-miney-mo-in_17.html
3. Down By The Banks Of The Hanky Panky (videos & different text examples)
February 11, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/down-by-banks-of-hanky-panky-video.html
4. Head And Shoulders Baby 1 2 3 (Information, Lyrics, & Videos)
January 30, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/01/head-and-shoulder-baby-1-2-3-comments.html
5. "This A Way Valerie" ("Strut Miss Lucy", "Strut Miss Susie") - Singing Games
April 7, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/04/this-way-valerie-strut-miss-lucy-strut.html
6. The REAL Origin Of The Word "Ungawa" & Various Ways That Word Has Been Used In The USA
August 13, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-real-origins-of-word-ungawa-various.html
7. Bang Bang Choo Choo Train rhyme & cheer (Early Sources & Influences)
August 5, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/bang-bang-choo-choo-train-rhyme-cheer.html
8. YouTube Comments About "The Wrong Way" Of Saying Or Doing A Particular Playground Rhyme, Part I
September 25, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/youtube-comments-about-wrong-way-of.html
9. YouTube Comments About "The Wrong Way" Of Saying Or Doing A Particular Playground Rhyme, Part II
September 25, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/09/youtube-comments-about-wrong-way-of_25.html
10. Children's Rhymes That Include Names Of Famous People (Part I)
August 30, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/playground-rhymes-that-include-names-of_30.html
11. Children's Rhymes That Include Names Of Famous People (Part II)
August 30, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/playground-rhymes-that-include-names-of_54.html
12. Playground Rhymes That Include Politicians' Names
August 28, 2015; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/playground-rhymes-that-include_87.html
1. Black Girls Performing Various Hand Clap Games (with videos & rhyme transcriptions)
January 17, 2016; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/01/black-girls-performing-various-hand.html
2. "M I Crooked Letter" In Country Music, Jump Rope Rhymes, R&B, & Hip Hop
July 1, 2016; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/07/m-i-crooked-letter-in-country-music.html
3. "Pop See Koo" Children's Song And Dance & Its Predecessor Games "Jigalow" ("Gigalo")
June 1, 2016; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/06/pop-see-koo-childrens-song-and-dance.html
4. "Bluebird Bluebird Through My Window" (lyrics & playing instructions)
November 3, 2016; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/11/bluebird-bluebird-through-my-window.html
5. Examples Of The 19th Century American Play Party Song - Old Sister Phoebe (The Juniper Tree)
December 6, 2016; https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/12/examples-of-19th-century-american-play.html
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.
Visitor comments are welcome.