Translate

Monday, April 21, 2014

African American Examples Of The Bluegrass Gospel Song "Build Me A Cabin In Glory"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post features four African American performances of the Bluegrass Gospel song "Build Me A Cabin In Glory" (also known as "Lord, Build Me A Cabin In The Corner Of Gloryland", "Build Me A Cabin", and similar titles.) These renditions are presented to showcase different interpretations of the same song.

The lyrics to this song are also included in this post.

The content of this post are presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Curtis Stewart for composing this Gospel song. Thanks to all the vocalists and musicians who are featured in these sound files & videos. Thanks also to those who are quoted in this post, and thanks to these sound files & videos' producers and their publishers on YouTube.

****
LYRICS: LORD, BUILD ME A CABIN IN GLORYLAND
(written by Curtis Stewart)

1. Many years I've been looking for a place to call home,
But I've failed here to find it, so I must travel on;
I don't care for fine mansions on earth's sinking sand,
Lord, build me a cabin in the corner of glory land.

CHORUS:
Yes, build me just a cabin in the corner of glory land,
In the shade of the tree of life that it may ever stand;
Where I can just hear the angels sing, and shake Jesus' hand.
Lord, build me a cabin in the corner of glory land.

2. Blessed Lord, I'm not asking to live in the midst,
For I know I'm not worthy of such splendor as this,
But I'm asking for mercy while humbly I stand,
Lord, build me a cabin in the corner of glory land.

CHORUS:

3. I have many dear loved ones who have gone on this way,
On that great final morning, shall I hear them all say,
Come and join in our singing and play in our band?
Lord, build me a cabin in the corner of glory land.

Source: http://www.pine-net.com/~joanbab/crncabin.htm

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
These examples are presented in chronological order with the oldest dated example given first.

Example 1: Rev. Joe L. Hill - Build Me A Cabin



Herbert Dennard, Uploaded on Feb 16, 2008

****
Example #2: Mighty Clouds Of Joy - Build Me A Cabin In Glory



revscott06, Uploaded on Aug 12, 2011

Tampa, Florida

****
Example #3: Lord, Build Me A Cabin In Glory Charley Pride YouTube



churchcowboy, Published on Apr 23, 2012

****
Example #4: GloryLand.mp4



Ella Williams, Published on Jun 16, 2012

This song was written by Curtis Stewart.
Pastor McGill & Brother John L. Lewis made the Church rock with, "Lord, build me a cabin in the corner of Glory Land!

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


4 comments:

  1. I am trying to get my late grandfather recognized by the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. His songs were recorded by people like Hank Williams and Bill Monroe. Please, sign our petition.
    http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/send-curtis-stewart-to-the-alabama-music-hall-of-fame

    We have a page at www.facebook.com/CurtisStewartSongs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heath Stewart, thanks for sharing that information with us at pancocojams.

      I signed your petition and hope that others here also do so. because your late grandfather Curtis Stewart very much deserves to be added to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame because of the over 200 Gospel songs he composed. Of particular mention in that list of song is "Lord, Build Me A Cabin In Glory."

      Here are the hyperlinks to that petition and your Facebook page:
      http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/send-curtis-stewart-to-the-alabama-music-hall-of-fame

      http://www.facebook.com/CurtisStewartSongs

      Please let us know when your grandfather is added to that Hall of Fame.

      Delete
  2. I am searching for an black gospel artist that recorded this song in late 70's possibly early 80's. Had his album but can not remember his name. If anyone know of this artist I would like to know his name. I love his Version of how he sang this song. Bluid me a cabin in glory land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I'm sorry. I don't know the answer to your question. Hopefully, someone will share that information here.

      Be blessed.

      Delete